Speculations on Plant's next project?

bonzo1026

I believe that Bobby will get bored with Allison or vice versa after this next album. There will be a short tour. Plant will complain about bouncing around in large arenas, will stress his need to "see" the faces of the fans and will make overtures of returning to the land of the ice and snow, valhalla, I am not coming home but I sure like to think about it. Strange Sensations will garner new members and Mr. Plants career will fall into the category of Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton: once revered and important, now treading along trying to be relevant.

:o Are you talking about the same Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton that I'm thinking about??

Just what sort of relevance and importance did you have in mind? Because I can think of hundreds/thousands of musicians who'd like to get some of it!

I believe that Bobby will get bored with Allison or vice versa after this next album. There will be a short tour. Plant will complain about bouncing around in large arenas, will stress his need to "see" the faces of the fans and will make overtures of returning to the land of the ice and snow, valhalla, I am not coming home but I sure like to think about it. Strange Sensations will garner new members and Mr. Plants career will fall into the category of Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton: once revered and important, now treading along trying to be relevant.

I have not seen Winwood latley but I saw Clapton in the New Orleans arena a few years back with 20'000 fans looking and sounding pretty darn good.

I wouldn't say Robert and Alison were playing large arenas on this last tour.

As for trying to being relevant - I don't think that's really a fair statement with Robert. He makes music that isn't really categorizable. He draws on many different influences and tastes and puts it all together through his own interpretations of them. He's not looking to be some huge multi-platinum selling artist, though I'm sure he hopes many people like what he's doing, but it's not about a popularity contest, nor is that a measure of good music. Steve Winwood I saw a few months ago and he was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the tracks off his new album as well as hearing different versions of some of his older material. I haven't seen Clapton live in years but I think in all three cases, they'll all be considered important and relevant figures in music in their own way.

I will never forget the first time I heard Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". That was certainly relevant, not to mention downright chilling. I think Robert's future will follow a similar path, I think he will produce some really good (relevant) music because he is so open to exploring new avenues.

I will never forget the first time I heard Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". That was certainly relevant, not to mention downright chilling. I think Robert's future will follow a similar path, I think he will produce some really good (relevant) music because he is so open to exploring new avenues.

It is a great version of the song. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement on Robert's future and by that, does make him relevant because it's not following the path of same old.

I'm never really sure what relevant means in this context anyway. If it's good music, that's as relevant to my life as I need it to be!

My definition of relevant as it applies to music means "can I remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard it". I remember exactly where I heard "Hurt" by Johnny Cash for the first time (driving the Atlanta bypass on the way to Florida for holiday). I then become obsessed, gotta have it, now mode. There are about 20 to 30 songs that have had that level of impact on me. But I see your point, what is relevant to one person may not be relevant to others. It all depends on the listener.

Well, I was just thinking that people often say music has to be relevant in that they want it to be part of some current trend or worldview or whatever, and often whatever Robert's doing is totally outside the margins of whatever's going on in contemporary rock. So yeah, it becomes totally subjective--relevant to what?

Permit me a bit of a rant

I think people need to remove the word "relevant" from what Robert does now...he's doing what he wants to and if he continues down this path...well...more power too him. If it makes him happy and it motivates him he will produce good music.

HOWEVER....I must add that there's Robert's eternal struggle which, in the case of the 80's, was very much a pursuit of relevance which, unfortunately, got the better of him in 1985 with Shaken n' Stirred. We can debate the merits of Hip Too Hoo all we want, but the fact is that could very well be Plant's most "dated" album...his comment during the Live Aid post interview of being "of the 80's" (I'm sure Steve has the exact quote) show his struggle...

I think the lightbulb went on over his head around Now and Zen...while the album is very 80's it's more intelligent than Shaken n' Stirred and show an acceptance of the Zeppelin legacy (both in the album and during the tour)

Since then is been about producing music he wants to produce, and therefore he's more comfortable with Robert the the artist rather than Robert the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, my two pence....

Jeff

Permit me a bit of a rant

I think people need to remove the word "relevant" from what Robert does now...he's doing what he wants to and if he continues down this path...well...more power too him. If it makes him happy and it motivates him he will produce good music.

HOWEVER....I must add that there's Robert's eternal struggle which, in the case of the 80's, was very much a pursuit of relevance which, unfortunately, got the better of him in 1985 with Shaken n' Stirred. We can debate the merits of Hip Too Hoo all we want, but the fact is that could very well be Plant's most "dated" album...his comment during the Live Aid post interview of being "of the 80's" (I'm sure Steve has the exact quote) show his struggle...

I think the lightbulb went on over his head around Now and Zen...while the album is very 80's it's more intelligent than Shaken n' Stirred and show an acceptance of the Zeppelin legacy (both in the album and during the tour)

Since then is been about producing music he wants to produce, and therefore he's more comfortable with Robert the the artist rather than Robert the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, my two pence....

Jeff

I don't think Shaken and Stirred was Robert trying to be relevant (I'll agree with Aqua and Kentucky Girl on the word really not the best choice in this conversation). As he's talked about it, he was influenced by a lot of the technology being used in the mid 80s and was listening to bands that impacted on his own writing. But it wasn't his trying to be like them - he's never tried to be like anyone which is one of the nice qualities about his music. I know many don't like the album but I do. I think there's some really great tracks on there and some have almost a dark, bluesy soulful feel (in my ears anyways). It's not my favorite album of his but I like it and I admire his doing it - again, stepping out of the "box" that people try to paint him in as a singer.

Shaken' and Stirred is probably,along with Principle of Moments, my favorite release of Robert's solo catalog. He was playing unusual material at this time and the band was killer with Richie Hayward on drums. I saw the 1985 tour with Hayward hitting the skins and he looked like some crazed pirate behind the kit.

As for trying to being relevant - I don't think that's really a fair statement with Robert. He makes music that isn't really categorizable.

Yeah with RP-AK collaboration I totally admire and respect Robert to have the balls to go ahead and do something that I feel no one has done before. Together it's something of a completely different and (new?) genre. Maybe in time it will spawn many of its kind and Robert (with AK) has innovated something just like Zep introduced the skeptical world to a new sound that 40 years down is still influential and great. :)

Yeah with RP-AK collaboration I totally admire and respect Robert to have the balls to go ahead and do something that I feel no one has done before. Together it's something of a completely different and (new?) genre. Maybe in time it will spawn many of its kind and Robert (with AK) has innovated something just like Zep introduced the skeptical world to a new sound that 40 years down is still influential and great. :)

They'll have to write some new material then. Raising Sand consists entirely of cover material. I just watched the Everly Brothers 1983 Reunion concert the other day and I heard a lot of musical parallels to the Plant/ Krauss project.

They'll have to write some new material then. Raising Sand consists entirely of cover material. I just watched the Everly Brothers 1983 Reunion concert the other day and I heard a lot of musical parallels to the Plant/ Krauss project.

Gone Gone Gone was originally written by the Everly Brothers in 1964.

Stick With Me Baby was written by Mel Tillis in the 60s.

Both were recorded by the Everly Brothers during the 60s.

Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin's manager, was hired as the tour manager for the Everly Brothers in Britain in 1963.

Gone Gone Gone was originally written by the Everly Brothers in 1964.

Stick With Me Baby was written by Mel Tillis in the 60s.

Both were recorded by the Everly Brothers.

Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin's manager, was hired as the tour manager for the Everly Brothers in Britain in 1963.

Exactly. That which is old is new.

I don't think Shaken and Stirred was Robert trying to be relevant (I'll agree with Aqua and Kentucky Girl on the word really not the best choice in this conversation). As he's talked about it, he was influenced by a lot of the technology being used in the mid 80s and was listening to bands that impacted on his own writing. But it wasn't his trying to be like them - he's never tried to be like anyone which is one of the nice qualities about his music. I know many don't like the album but I do. I think there's some really great tracks on there and some have almost a dark, bluesy soulful feel (in my ears anyways). It's not my favorite album of his but I like it and I admire his doing it - again, stepping out of the "box" that people try to paint him in as a singer.

Ok...you have to put my comment about that album in context with what I was saying. I'm using S&S as his only moment of trying to be relevant. His actions afterward (Live Aid Reunion....brief attempt at a Zeppelin reunion in Bath) show how much he struggled with it.

Robert has these....errrr..."come to Jesus" moments. He's very dramatic at times. That was one such moment as was his abandoning the P&P project before they completed their scheduled dates.

I be if you corner Robert he'd say that S&S was him trying too hard. Look at how the relationship between Robert and Robbie Blunt frayed during these sessions...like I said, we can debate the merits of the album all we want...but that's not the point. His actions at the time say that he was...for that one moment in time...trying to be relevant.

Jeff

No matter what Robert does i'm going to have a listen. He has been my favorite vocalist since the early 80's when I first got into Zeppelin. That voice is one of the reasons I fell in love with music to begin with. The years have not diminished how much I enjoy listening to Robert Plant sing, no matter who with, and what style it is being performed. It will be a sad day when he stops making music for us to hear, and I'm grateful that he is still doing it and will always be.

Earlier in this post someone wanted to know what Robert's quote was during the interview after Live Aid. This isn't exact but I think he was trying to be a bit of a wise ass, in a funny way. It was something like, Of course it's the 80's as I do have a solo career.

No matter what Robert does i'm going to have a listen. He has been my favorite vocalist since the early 80's when I first got into Zeppelin. That voice is one of the reasons I fell in love with music to begin with. The years have not diminished how much I enjoy listening to Robert Plant sing, no matter who with, and what style it is being performed. It will be a sad day when he stops making music for us to hear, and I'm grateful that he is still doing it and will always be.

True true :P

Ok...you have to put my comment about that album in context with what I was saying. I'm using S&S as his only moment of trying to be relevant. His actions afterward (Live Aid Reunion....brief attempt at a Zeppelin reunion in Bath) show how much he struggled with it.

Robert has these....errrr..."come to Jesus" moments. He's very dramatic at times. That was one such moment as was his abandoning the P&P project before they completed their scheduled dates.

I be if you corner Robert he'd say that S&S was him trying too hard. Look at how the relationship between Robert and Robbie Blunt frayed during these sessions...like I said, we can debate the merits of the album all we want...but that's not the point. His actions at the time say that he was...for that one moment in time...trying to be relevant.

Jeff

Interesting post, thank you, Jeff, though perhaps my lack of knowledge of the circumstances you refer to prevents me from getting the "relevance" point... I guess I have to listen to S&S at some point to understand. Bau apart from this, I often wondered why things did not work (or just worked for a limited period of time) between him and Phil Collins to further collaborate and possibly eventually create something as great as LZ or Genesis stuff.

Archived