What Are You Reading?

Chicken

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Lionel Lincoln, by James Fenimore Cooper (the guy who wrote Last of the Mohicans)

Google Books is chock-full of all kindsa weird stuff...

I'm also finishing a 2,300-page book called My Secret Life, by Walter:

mysecretlife.jpg

The sex diary of a Victorian gentleman. Highly recommend it, although he uses the word "c*nt" about 5,300 times. I hate that word!

The whole text is here: http://www.my-secret-life.com/, but I'd recommend looking for it in print, or you'll go blind.

Been on a Dune kick.

Over the past 5 or 6 weeks, I (in order) re-read Heretics of Dune (5th of original 6 books) and Chapterhouse: Dune (6th of original 6 books).

Went looking for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune (written by Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, supposedly finishing the story after Frank Herbert's death).

Couldn't find them, so I re-read God-Emperor of Dune (4th of original 6 books) and then Dune Messiah (2nd of original 6 books).

Decided to get Hunters and Sandworms from the library, suffered through them both, and now re-reading Children of Dune (3rd of original 6 books) to "cleanse my palate" after the horrible aftertaste that Brian Herbert left.

For true fans, the crap Brian Herbert has written is shamefully pathetic and unbearably disappointing.

It's depressing to even think about.

And yes, if you followed all that, I have re-read all but the original/first book of the series, Dune itself.

I'm sure I'll reach for it at some point in the next couple days as soon as I finish Children of Dune.

1984......for probably the 100th time. I never get sick of that book. Ever. Before that, I just finished The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Yay for unsanitary Chicago slaughterhouses and meat-packing plants!

(no seriously, that's what the book exposed)

Who hasn't read 1984. The only thing he had wrong was the year. He was a bit early,

You know how I know you've never read the book? Orwell was basically transposing what was going on in the Soviet Union at the time, to this fictional place called Oceania in "1984" , although knowing what we do about how time and even basic facts like what 2+2 was could be manipulated, the actual date of when the book was set was nebulous at best. The way he describes Big Brother was exactly how Stalin looked. The way he talked about how people were "vaporized" and made to appear to have never existed at all, was something Stalin was known to do, even down to the airbrushing or removing of people from photographs once they fell out of favor with him or the party. Communism was something that Orwell wrote a bit about, see also Animal Farm. Maybe the book was his way of expressing a fear that Soviet domination of the Eastern bloc would extend out to western Europe, including Britain. I don't know. It's a rather interesting read, purely from a historical context, if you keep the time he wrote it in mind.

So I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The United States has not been plunged into some Orwellian dystopia.

Edited by Electrophile

You know how I know you've never read the book? Orwell was basically transposing what was going on in the Soviet Union at the time, to this fictional place called Oceania in "1984"

Really? Sure he wasn't aiming closer to home? Read the introductory chapter of Grundlagen zur Zeitgeschichte by Germar Rudolf.