Page & Plant - Achilles Last Stand

NickZepp

They did it better than the usually did back in the day. This song is really well suited to Michael Lee's powerful style. It's subtler groovier stuff that Lee wasn't as good at.

Agreed. I have it on a boot from Atlanta 1995, and it pretty much beats the Zep versions, surprisingly. Zep generally played it really sloppy live.

The above two quotes are laughable to be honest. Michael Lee drummed this better than John Bonham.....yeah

I didn't say Lee was better than Bonham. Gimme a break! :lol:

NOBODY is even as good as Bonham was.

What I said is that the P/P performances of ALS went smoother and were better in general than what I've heard with Zep. Not because of Lee, but because of the overall feel of the song. You can agree or disagree. But I'm sticking to my opinion on this. ALS as performed by Zep tended to be really dodgy at times. Very sloppy and thin sounding.

Depends on the version. Knebworth 79 trumps that version.

The version on the 4th is pretty damned good. Bear in mind though, the official DVD version is touched up a bit. But even the raw live version IS much better than most. Better than the P/P version? I guess I'll be forced into comparing the two tonight. Shit.

:D

Thats cool..cheers, By the time they came to Europe I think they dropped the song from the set which was a shame as its my fave and they didn't do it at the gigs I went too.

They only performed ALS, the first two shows of the U.S tour. I remember reading or hearing in an interview with Jimmy that he was having a hard time playing some of the parts. Can anyone supply the details of this? It was replaced by TSRTS.

Good website for these kind of things and you can perform searches particular dates and songs.

http://setlist.com/

The sad thing about watching P/P clips is hearing Robert pretty much play songs like this straight in the right key with a convincing level of brutal intensity. I remember being shocked at how much power he put into those Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You's. It's like he did those songs on those tours just for the sake of patting him on the back for being ABLE to still do them. But now, he really can't do that anymore. The O2 had its share of sleight of hand to cover for him, even with him giving it his all. The O2 singing performance has to be qualified in deference to his age, whereas Robert's P/P singing performances largely hold up well against latter period Zep performances. P/P was as close to a Zep reunion as we'll ever get.

What a great performance!! I saw one of the Los Angeles shows on this tour and it was outstanding, but no ALS. :mellow: I belive it was replaced by TSRTS which was outstanding in its ownright. Michael Lee was outstanding on this performance, and agree with someone who mentioned it suited his powerful style unlike a slower blues song like SIBLY where he struggled with IMO.

If I remember right they did this in Toronto, on the first Page and Plant tour, Unledded, very cool, I have to admit I wasnt as familiar with the song as i am now, but knew what was going on, funny when i first saw Plant on the Now and Zen tour I was only 17/18, I dint even know Presense Or Graphitti that well, so I dont even think I recognized Black Country Woman, or Trampled Underfoot lol, now I know all the songs lol

I didn't say Lee was better than Bonham. Gimme a break! :lol:

NOBODY is even as good as Bonham was.

What I said is that the P/P performances of ALS went smoother and were better in general than what I've heard with Zep. Not because of Lee, but because of the overall feel of the song. You can agree or disagree. But I'm sticking to my opinion on this. ALS as performed by Zep tended to be really dodgy at times. Very sloppy and thin sounding.

i'm with you on this.

if micheal lee sucked, this clip would blow chunks. you have to at least come close for this song to even work live. lee did it as well as anyone could have (except for bonham).

that said, i would like to see jason take a swipe at it....

it is disapointing that robert is not intrested in a reunion tour i am in my mid 40's from the suburbs of philly the last time they came here was 1975 like many of their fans have not seen them live i have bought their music in every format i am an huge collector of the live music i would be happy with a dvd of the o2 show and re release the catalog with outtakes and alt tracks like yes did so jimmy open the vault ? want list any video of studio rehearsals , or audio, any and all john bonham stuff i have a recording of no quarter drum and keyboards the raw power of johns playing is just sick!!!!

Thats cool..cheers, By the time they came to Europe I think they dropped the song from the set which was a shame as its my fave and they didn't do it at the gigs I went too.

My thoughts exactly, ALS is my favourite Led Zep song too.

This version is great...The Knebworth version was really good too, but I never felt they quite nailed it live. Maybe this is a rare instance where having another guitarist playing alongside Jimmy is just what's needed?

Archived