re; Grammy Awards

euro

Its hard to believe that is the same guy that sings Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Rock N Roll and Stairway. I am very happy for him and his success. He clearly put Allison on the map. Lets face it. She wouldnt have made it this big without Plant. Would have been great to see him and McCartney on stage doing something together. At least Robert mentioned Led Zeppelin early in the show. Never forget where you came from Robert. And never forget Jimmy Page!

Allison won twenty-something Grammys before she ever met Robert, I assure you she was already "on the map" in a big way!...

well percy and krauss certainly shocked a lot of people last night.

he called it selling out,but to me he was a great musician who crossed over and made an amazing record.it amazes me that after all those years of belting out and writing rock anthem after rock anthem,he was able to sing in a different manner like he'd always sang in that manner.this makes plants grammy collection grow to 6,all POST led zeppelin.

foofighters-hollypalladium.jpg

Too bad for Chris Brown getting arrested??!! How about too bad for that girl he beat up (allegedly).

I missed the Grammys - thought it was on Monday. Congrats to the Golden God & Goddess.

It kinda puts a damper on Robert and Alison's big night as well as some great performances too. The woman is allegedly Rhianna, Chris Brown's girlfriend, whom he was accused of assaulting. :(

Thanks for the link! Too bad about Chris Brown getting into trouble though. It was a great show overall and that just puts a damper on things. Seems like this is all the media keeps talking about.

That was awful :( I just got home from work so I have catching up to do on You Tube. But I was so excited to see Adele win; I really like her! :)

Actually, I think this collaboration has probably given Robert just as much new exposure as it has for Allison. There are probably a lot of younger country music fans that were like "who is this old guy singing with Allison Kraus?" :D

I think it's been great for both of them. You saw a real mix of fans at the shows and definitely have heard people on both sides commenting on how they were impressed with either Robert or Alison (if they weren't familiar with them already). Which is a great result :D

Robert & Alison interview:

Thanks for the interview link Roxie!

I don't think the "crossover" was much of a stretch for either one. Alison was always more than mainstream country, she has many fans in the alt.country world and those fans tend to have diverse tastes. Same with RP, many people who like Zep and RP are also fans of stuff like Gram Parsons, Dead and NRPS. I don't think AK's fans are the cross-stitching granny's many of the folks on this forum make them out to be. At the show I attended it wasn't clear or easy to identify who was a fan of who. If anything the obvious Zep fans were the middle aged men wearing cheesy Zep t-shirts bought at Walmart just for the occasion. The obvious AK fans looked more like the people I've seen at Phish shows.

Edited by danelectro

Not sure if this has been posted.

Plant, Krauss embrace 'beautiful' Americana win

by Peter Cooper, initially appeared on TimeinMusicCity.com

LOS ANGELES -- After the Grammy Awards ended late Sunday night, Robert Plant, Alison Krauss and producer T Bone Burnett came backstage to answer questions. After a liason from the Recording Academy explained to Plant that the pprint media room wasn't especially lively, he said, "That's because there's no alcohol in here. This is like a Swedish press conference."

Plant may have been the only one in the room familiar with a Swedish press conference scenario, so we'll have to take his word. but coming just off a best album win for their Raising Sand project, he, Krauss and Burnett quickly broke the room up with their banter. Burnett had the line of the press conference, accusing Plant of having "three children by 24,000 women." :lol:

Plant said that when he was in legendary Led Zeppelin, the members were enamoured of Amercian music. But that music tended to come from blues and R&B.

"Alison and I obstensibly come from different places on the musical map," he said. "There are radical differences in the way we've gone about enjoying our lives as musicians. She and T Bone introduced me to so much great music. And I think that America needs to know what its songs are all about. It's OK plaing the game, but behind and underneath the game, there's something beautiful here."

As for twhat exactly is "beautiful here," Plant pointed to the Americana genre. He and Krauss won a best album prize at the Americana Music Awards in 2008, and Plant said his favorite Grammy from Sunday--the duo won five in all--was not the all-genre best album trophy but rather the contemporary folk/Americana Grammy.

"To me, it's great to be considered to be part of the movement that is healthy and has some discrimination. My exposure that was begun by these two (gesturing to Krauss and Burnett) continued through the Amerciana Association in Nashville. There's some great stuff there, and I'm so pleased to be associated with it."

Plant was most often ignored by Grammy voters during his Led Zeppelin time, but he shrugged off the critical and industry slights.

"The people running that Rolling Stone magazine and others were saying we were insignificant philanderers...and they coudn't have been more right. And now I'm as old as they were, and I don't like a lot of the (stuff) that's going on now." :o

There's more but I just took sections to post.

As for what exactly is "beautiful here," Plant pointed to the Americana genre. He and Krauss won a best album prize at the Americana Music Awards in 2008, and Plant said his favorite Grammy from Sunday--the duo won five in all--was not the all-genre best album trophy but rather the contemporary folk/Americana Grammy.

"To me, it's great to be considered to be part of the movement that is healthy and has some discrimination. My exposure that was begun by these two (gesturing to Krauss and Burnett) continued through the Amerciana Association in Nashville. There's some great stuff there, and I'm so pleased to be associated with it."

:D :D :D That's a great sentiment.

Plant was most often ignored by Grammy voters during his Led Zeppelin time, but he shrugged off the critical and industry slights.

"The people running that Rolling Stone magazine and others were saying we were insignificant philanderers...and they coudn't have been more right. And now I'm as old as they were, and I don't like a lot of the (stuff) that's going on now. :o

I hope that he really doesn't believe this. :(

I am sure that all of us on this forum do not!

In a way, I think he said that in jest. But then again, he says he doesn't care for alot of the 'new' music out today and maybe some of their antics, so maybe he was just echoing a sentiment 'old reviewers' would've had back 35 years ago about their sexual exploits on the road, who knows ?. But I'm also confused because the guys running Rolling Stone in the early 70s weren't 60 !!

It must've just been one of those crazy off the wall Plantisms and not really putting down his old band.

Edited by richestkind

You really don't believe the guys were womanizing in a casual and frivolous manner ? All the defintions I've found certainly hold true to many of the rock bands of the 70s, and to that extent, now as well.

Or do you feel that their 'fun' was significant ? If so, I understand your viewpoint. Their prowess was legendary !! :lol:

Edited by richestkind

In a way, I think he said that in jest. But then again, he says he doesn't care for alot of the 'new' music out today and maybe some of their antics, so maybe he was just echoing a sentiment 'old reviewers' would've had back 35 years ago about their sexual exploits on the road, who knows ?. But I'm also confused because the guys running Rolling Stone in the early 70s weren't 60 !!

It must've just been one of those crazy off the wall Plantisms and not really putting down his old band.

Maybe the new music was more in the top 40/pop genre. He's a big fan of a lot of new artists.

He could have been referring to the state of the music industry? Hard to say.

Maybe the new music was more in the top 40/pop genre. He's a big fan of a lot of new artists.

He could have been referring to the state of the music industry? Hard to say.

I know that when I was reading his words, I saw music, but he actually said "stuff". So you may be right, it could be about the state of the industry. However he didn't say all, so even if he was referring to music specifically, he left room open for some of what's being made. I'm aware that he does have some new likings.

What's the most recently penned song on Raising Sand ? Could it be Jimmy and his, "Please Read the Letter" ?

I don't think the "crossover" was much of a stretch for either one.

February 9, 2009

"Plant, Krauss rise with 'Raising Sand' at Grammys"

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/...ight/index.html

February 9, 1971

San Fernando earthquake rocks the San Fernando valley; epicenter in the Sand Canyon Area

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/1...ando-earthquake