To bail or not to bail?

Rock Action

Last April I purchased a GM car. I've been really enjoying it and only expect to drive about 10-11,000 miles per year. Let's see how I feel in 5 or 6 years. I tend to own my cars a long time. Just sold my 13 year old Civic with 200,000 miles on it. Before that I owned ANOTHER Civic (about 7 years) with 186,000 miles.

1. The original Chrysler bail out worked and the country got it's money back plus interest.

No it didn't. They worse than before. bailouts work short term, thats it. The auto industry needs to last longer than that, so they should file bankruptcy and restructure as best as possible. If not? Uh oh.

Electrophile mentioned that if the government will bail out the banks to the tune of ~700 million or was it billion, then 15-50 billion for the big 3 is chickenfeed. < my own words there.

Well, with that train of thought, how 'bout they bail me out ? I may have a huge debt load, cash poor and on the brink of financial collapse so I DESERVE to be bailed out too.

Fair is fair....

American culture has just gotten TOO FAT over the last several decades and now the belly is bursting. Too bad really we can't be more mellow in our lifestyles and not be so consumptive and overextend our purchasing. All that's coming back to bite our asses. Those who've bought into this idea are going to lose more than those who've truly been conservative and not exploitive. I see it as just rewards for the greedy society we have.

It's going to hurt those who have lots to lose versus those who've been thrifty and have a 'less is more' attitude in their lifestyles and consumerism.

hey, I've lived on less than $1,000 a month now for 6 months. It's been a good test and I still have more time to pursue my pleasures of 'doing nothing' than anyone I know that makes 3-10 times that amount.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Funny...BMW, Toyota, Mercedes Benz don't need a dime. :slapface:

Golly I wonder why?

I say FUCK the autos. Until they come up with better models. Screw em.

Efficiency. They have sound business models, reasonable salaries, reliable products and quite frankly, they have both a vision and a fucking clue.

I am sickened at the thought of so many thousands of our neighbors losing their salaries and livelihoods, i really am. They have been hung out to dry by the vanity of these fat cat assholes who run the "big 3". All of these Corporate execs should resign in shame...or perhaps sent to work on the production line.

The Banks? Well, it stands to reason that these greedy fucks rode high on the auto lending hog for decades. They raped our wallets in good times and forclosed our homes in bad.

I don't know. I would like to say fuck you, go belly up but so many good people would suffer to no end. The whole situation is criminal....literally.

Tonight, after the US Senate (thankfully) refused the Auto Bailout as written by the House of Representatives, the BBC interviewed various people that feels like it will be the end of the owrld if the car comapnys fail or go under. They, of course, never care to clarify what to "fail" is, or to "go under" is..... They're just spreading frea, and the chicken little.... "The Sky Is Falling".... mentality....

the same garbage and fear they spread to get that wonderful $700 Billion Bailout passed by the weak of Congress.....

What's going to happen, is that the car comapnies will downsize, and through Chapert 11, probably.....

But the US Automakers, and their factoires are3 simply not ging to dissapear, as the fucking fear-mongers are bewailing.

I think people in SE Michigan are in shock over the nation's reaction to this whole issue. After watching a Trillion dollars fly out the window to financial institutions and fancy suits that create absolutely nothing in their eyes, people here think the rest of the country is turning their backs on them. Watching the South support Japanese auto companies so strongly is blowing people's minds. They don't get it....even if they should. What's been going on this year to the rest of the country has been happening here for 8 years already. We haven't had one of the highest foreclosure rates because of bad loans. They are happening here because people have lost their jobs. You can't pay any mortgage if you are not working. As the financial crisis trickles down to mainstream America, this whole series of events is turning into a class war, and it's not going to be long until some civil unrest begins. What we just saw at that Chicago Window company is going to happen here. It won't be a couple hundred people, it will be thousands, and it's not going to take long or much to make it start.

I DESERVE to be bailed out too.

I guess I won't be gettin' my bailout either. :(

Fair is fair....

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I just really wish this would affect the bigwigs as much or more than the worker. The chiefs need to take the dive and move back into the neighborhood. I wonder if this Senate deal is the deathnail, or will there be some new reworkings and more funny money printed to be manufactured and loaned out to a lame duck.

I think people in SE Michigan are in shock over the nation's reaction to this whole issue. After watching a Trillion dollars fly out the window to financial institutions and fancy suits that create absolutely nothing in their eyes, people here think the rest of the country is turning their backs on them. Watching the South support Japanese auto companies so strongly is blowing people's minds. They don't get it....even if they should. What's been going on this year to the rest of the country has been happening here for 8 years already. We haven't had one of the highest foreclosure rates because of bad loans. They are happening here because people have lost their jobs. You can't pay any mortgage if you are not working. As the financial crisis trickles down to mainstream America, this whole series of events is turning into a class war, and it's not going to be long until some civil unrest begins. What we just saw at that Chicago Window company is going to happen here. It won't be a couple hundred people, it will be thousands, and it's not going to take long or much to make it start.

It's a tough deal anyway you look at it. I supported American cars for ever, still miss my Chevy P/U.

I've worked on cars and trucks of every type and it just came down to whether I wanted to work on them all day on the job and every other day just to get to work or home.

I drive a 15yo Nissan and I change the oil and put air in the tires and gas in the tank.

Gets me from A to B and back.

It's kinda hard to keep supporting something that keeps fucking you over.

Like having an ex-wife or season tickets for the Lions :lol:

I've got a 2001 Suzuki that I've only had to change the oil, top off fluids, get new tires and,

get new tire rods. It's got over 130,000 miles on it so that's not bad at all....never any engine mechanical difficulties etc...

Before that I had a Mitsubishi and a Toyota. I drove those into the ground and only changed the oil, fluids etc., nothing else but a timing belt replacement. Rubber does dry rot.

Sorry to hear about you losing your 40k/yr plus job..... Never had one myself to lose....

Amyeays.... Barac is going to put Millions to work bullding stuff..... so just wait a moment, and then get with the Barac Jobs Program..... Instead of building cars....we're building America !!

We've got enought cars already...... Big surplus in new and pre-owned vehicles.....

I think the govt. should give a loan to the autos at this particular time. The co's. that succeed or fail when the economy turns around will sort out the car business in america.

I was surprised to hear that saturn only makes up for 1% of gm's sales. i have a used saturn and i think its a good car. its sort of strange that an innovative car, in regards to using plastic and a sales program of non haggling price had such bad sales.

I think the govt. should give a loan to the autos at this particular time. The co's. that succeed or fail when the economy turns around will sort out the car business in america.

I was surprised to hear that saturn only makes up for 1% of gm's sales. i have a used saturn and i think its a good car. its sort of strange that an innovative car, in regards to using plastic and a sales program of non haggling price had such bad sales.

Forgive me, but that "no haggling" policy is bullshit, at least at the dealer I worked at from 2001-2003. It's the same old crap, believe me. Of course, that was in South Florida, where things are...well, weird. :lol:

Saturn make a pretty decent ride overall though. The skin is plastic, but the framework underneath is impressive. Not a bad car at all.

Forgive me, but that "no haggling" policy is bullshit, at least at the dealer I worked at from 2001-2003. It's the same old crap, believe me. Of course, that was in South Florida, where things are...well, weird. :lol:

Saturn make a pretty decent ride overall though. The skin is plastic, but the framework underneath is impressive. Not a bad car at all.

Oh yeah, the no haggling thing wasnt true. Well atleast they started with a good advertising idea with that. Yeah the doors and quarter panels are plastic, they hold paint and put up with potential dings and dents, so that was a good idea. But, really i guess it was an example of american car co's. spreading themselves too thin with variety to compete with other car co's. Then again the suv sales movement was incredible, so that changed even the foreign auto cos too.

I just dont think its a time for the gov. to be jumping on the auto co's in such a volatile economy.

Here's how I see it.... before the Housing bubble broke..... all that easy credit and and easy money being made, by so many parites.... Housing prices soaring, 2nd mortgages, flipping houses, etc.....

Well, what did people ---do--- with that "money" made... ? ? ? ? ?

They bought cars..... yes, they bought lots and lots and lots of new and expensive cars and suvs......

But now..... all of that leveraged income is being de-leveraged.....

And so some expect the Govt. to artivfially keep that level of car buying out there...... ? ? ?

NO, HELL NO.....

THE ECONOMY IS RECEDING BECAUSE THE ECONOMY WAS OVERBLOWN, AND OVER LEVERAGED.....

The ride was "so Good" on the way up......all the perks that allowed,,,,,,

But now, on the way back down.... they still want to keep the perks.....

What a clusterfuck of an idea that is !!

We're on our 3rd consecutive Ford, and every one has had a problem area. The first had chronic AC problems; the second had something going on with the emission system that we and the mechanics could never get to the bottom of; and the Explorer currently has something going on with the ABS system that we also can't get to the bottom of, but we're early in the process and I'm trying to be an optimist.

OTOH, we once had an early 80s Subaru wagon that was bought used and was passed around in my family and was driven until we could literally see the road through the floorboards. My mom is still driving her mid 80s 'Roo. We also had an early 90s Corolla that we drove to death; it was even better than the 4wDs in bad weather but we finally killed the transmission and decided it wasn't cost effective to put in another one. It's still around in "dry dock" though in case Hubby ever decides to tinker on it.

I have a 2002 Chev Impala 3.4 L. Here's my list

Intake Manifold Gasket : A well known GM problem that was fixed while the car was under warranty. Replaced with the same problem gasket that caused the problem when new improved ones were availible. Found that out long after the fact

Pass Lock Key and Body Motion Sensor : My car at times would just refuse to turn over when car was warm. Start it up, drive, make a stop somewhere, wouldn't restart. This is another well known problem that has left people stranded all over hell's half acre. It seems that GM has known about this problem for 8 yrs but refuses to issue a re call. Not a cheap fix. Note : anyone who has this problem be warned, it is not fixed by replacing the computer. A total waste of money if your mechanic suggests it.

Head Gasket : Just had it done. Oh by the way, I look after my cars, alway's have.

All of the above has happened between 55,000 KM and 120,000 KM. What's next ? Outside of my old 73 VW BUG, I've alway's bought NA cars. Unless there's a major change in quality, my next one will be an import