Best of Led Zeppelin Live

Tugaman

Hello fellow Led Zeppelin lovers

I wonder if there is out there a "best of Led Zeppelin" from bootleg sources? Some selection of the "best" version of EACH of the songs Led Zeppelin played live?

If not, then I think it's time to make the greatest live rock album of all times.

I wonder if there is out there a "best of Led Zeppelin" from bootleg sources? Some selection of the "best" version of EACH of the songs Led Zeppelin played live?

If not, then I think it's time to make the greatest live rock album of all times.

Would be cool, however "best" version interpreted based on who's opinion. Thats the only problem. You might think 1973 LA were the best shows ever and others will think 1977 LA shows and another will think 1975 Earls Court will have the best version/s of a particular song. I think it is best to just learn about the notoriety of a certain show and experience it for yourself. :)

Welcome aboard btw.

You will find threads on it already let me link what i know:

Best Zep Boots: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=7

Fav boots: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=5790

Fav versions of songs: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=6470

This is more or less what you want:

Dream Live Album: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?showtopic=6305

Would be cool, however "best" version interpreted based on who's opinion. Thats the only problem. You might think 1973 LA were the best shows ever and others will think 1977 LA shows and another will think 1975 Earls Court will have the best version/s of a particular song. I think it is best to just learn about the notoriety of a certain show and experience it for yourself. :)

Welcome aboard btw.

Thanks for your reply

Of course anyone could do his own best Led Zeppelin concert and I'm sure lots of people did it, and lists and opinions differ from one to another. There are concerts I like most, and sometimes there’s a song that amazes me at another, higher, level that I'd like to have those all together. Well, I could do that. But the point of being so passionate for Led Zeppelin - and so many forums like this one just point it out - is sharing our love for their music and despite all the different opinions there's also - I think - a reach for a consensus. Knowing that no list will ever be definitive, I nevertheless made this enquiry, for the "best concert of all times" would be an achievement for all Zep fans – a communitarian one, a corner stone of our dedication. I guess.

I didn't hear them all. I will. Hope I'll have the time. So I would have to rely on those who have more experience on the issue, as I'd like to have it now - I'll maybe have not the time to do it. That's why I came here.

Ps. Since I'm a beginner here, I took the time to explore a bit this forum and I found some threads about it which are useful.

Ps2. I'm also sure that it will be done someday. Maybe it would be more rewarding if everybody could participate - as in a formal poll, for instance. Unless Mr. Page did it.

thanks again

You will find threads on it already let me link what i know:

Best Zep Boots: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=7

Fav boots: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=5790

Fav versions of songs: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=6470

This is more or less what you want:

Dream Live Album: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?showtopic=6305

Thanks a lot.

I'll have a look.

Welcome aboard btw.

I've always found the Earls Court shows a mystery when many say its some of their best. Sure, the sound quality is good and the performances are enjoyable..but I find them quite sluggish, especially for Zeppelin. They would certainly have far worse outings...but they definitely have dozens of higher octane shows than these.

I think an official best-of live Zeppelin should be released, from concerts from 1969-1980.

I think that's what we got with the 2003 DVD release. I doubt we will ever see something like on an album. Personally, I would rather have a complete show over a chronological live album given the choice, but that's just me.

I've always found the Earls Court shows a mystery when many say its some of their best. Sure, the sound quality is good and the performances are enjoyable..but I find them quite sluggish, especially for Zeppelin. They would certainly have far worse outings...but they definitely have dozens of higher octane shows than these.

Agreed, a little sluggish. Compared to most 69-73 shows, EC seems very average to me. For 1975, I really prefer most of the March shows of that year.

Agreed, a little sluggish. Compared to most 69-73 shows, EC seems very average to me. For 1975, I really prefer most of the March shows of that year.

I just picked up "Conspiracy Theory." Awesome. B)

And going back to Earls Court..I think the draw from it comes with how it is/was packaged:

The month off from the US Tour and it having several dates, making it a festival type atmosphere for that week.

Only UK shows in 1975.

Last UK shows before their excesses began to unhinge their abilities to perform consistently.

The acoustic set.

All average-above average performances with few mistakes.

The high quality boots.

The excellent video footage.

The 2003 DVD.

I think you can add that infamous Zeppelin "mystique" to all of that, shake it up..and you get Earls Court.

And going back to Earls Court..I think the draw from it comes with how it is/was packaged:

The month off from the US Tour and it having several dates, making it a festival type atmosphere for that week.

Only UK shows in 1975.

Last UK shows before their excesses began to unhinge their abilities to perform consistently.

The acoustic set.

The high quality boots.

The 2003 DVD.

I think you can add that infamous Zeppelin "mystique" to all of that, shake it up..and you get Earls Court.

Do you really think Conspiracy Theory is awesome? Sound quality is pretty good, but the performance is a bit sloppy - in my opinion.

I agree with your assessment of Earl's Court, add to it that they were marathon shows as well. The vibe that came from them was the essence of Zeppelin - tight but loose. The mystique, musicianship and, of course, comradery was what separated them from every other band in history.

Only UK shows in 1975.

The acoustic set.

The high quality boots.

The 2003 DVD.

i love the earls courts

features the absolute BEST version of trampled underfoot (DVD version), all the version of stairway are great, and a pretty electric version of heartbreaker

• 8 months later...

How's it going "Tugaman?" I hope all is well with you. There was a compilation called "The Can" that was released by TMQ on Vinyl/LP and later CD if I am not mistaken. Maybe someone else would have some additional information on this release. This release would have the best of their songs performed live. I'm going to have look in my illustrated collector's guide for this release. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

I have Another Trip, which is similar and was released around the same time, but those two really predates much of the great quality recordings which have come out in the last 15 years. Still, a great concept and excellent execution. The booklet inside Another Trip is well done, as is the box itself. I keep all my CDs together, but I use this box to hold onto all the receipts ... to show myself how much cash I've blown through the years. :D

Archived