John Travolta's son dies

Spalove

I really can't think of anything worse than losing a child. I'm so very sorry to hear this. Peace be with the young man and the Travolta family

The kid had medical problems their "religion" forbade them to treat. I am sorry they lost a child, no parent should have to go through that EVER, but this could have been prevented.

Maybe... and maybe not.

According to the article, seizures aren't usually associated with KS... (which, I gather, is generally 'outgrown').

At this point, who knows why he had a seizure... if indeed that's what happened. Furthermore, the article noted it was also said that he hit his head in a bathtub. If that is true, it could have caused a seizure, or been the result of a seizure. Furthermore #2, some people have seizures for no discernible reason (my mom had one of those several years ago, and none since then).

I'm certainly no fan of Scientology, but I think it's a bit premature to assert the guy's death was preventable, or that it was due to medical problems not treated because Travolta's religion forbade that. I think I'll wait for the autopsy results before making any assertion of that nature.

That said...

condolences to his family... and may their son RIP.

John Travolta's son dies

:(

RIP

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family

How's it going "Spalove?" My friend's computer is slow and I must be getting off the computer after this last post. I was deeply saddened upon hearing about what happened to John Travolta's and his wife Kelly Preston's 16 year old Autistic son. Through the years, I heard that their son's health had been bad for some time but I never thought that he would die so soon. What a tragedy. John Travolta and his wife must be going through hell right now. My prayers go out to them during their time of grief. ROCK ON!

Maybe... and maybe not.

According to the article, seizures aren't usually associated with KS... (which, I gather, is generally 'outgrown').

At this point, who knows why he had a seizure... if indeed that's what happened. Furthermore, the article noted it was also said that he hit his head in a bathtub. If that is true, it could have caused a seizure, or been the result of a seizure. Furthermore #2, some people have seizures for no discernible reason (my mom had one of those several years ago, and none since then).

I'm certainly no fan of Scientology, but I think it's a bit premature to assert the guy's death was preventable, or that it was due to medical problems not treated because Travolta's religion forbade that. I think I'll wait for the autopsy results before making any assertion of that nature.

That said...

condolences to his family... and may their son RIP.

There is something troubling about this child's death and it isn't all just because his parents are Scientologists. He had been seen going into the bathroom the night before......and was not seen again until his caretaker found him dead in the bathroom at 10am. That's a whole lot of time unaccounted for. Now, if I have a child that is special needs (as autistic children usually are) or a child with any kind of medical problems, they aren't more than 30 minutes out of my sight before I start to wonder what is wrong. How can that much time have elapsed without anyone noticing he wasn't around or that they seen or heard from him in a while? It's not customary to say you're going to the bathroom and then not emerge for 12 hours.

I'm not saying that there's foul play here, I'm saying something about this whole thing reeks to high hell.

sounds like everything went wrong at the same time. In which saying this can be prevented from reading a story and concluding someones religion is at fault, is just the norm for that person who claims this.

Accidents happen. 35% of all drunk driving accidents happen to the fault of the person who wasn't drinking. So saying all drunk driving accidents could be prevented if there was no drinking would be misleading. Those 35% of those accidents will still happen. So in turn, saying an accident in which led to a death could of been prevented due to something other than that accident not happening at, is also misleading.

Just like saying if there was no guns, deaths will drop equal to the number of gun related deaths. In reality, people who feel the urge to kill, will just kill with a knife as easily as with a gun. Just as when your time comes, its your time. Kid would still be dead if he was John Travolta's kid as he would be dead if he was the kid of a doctor.

Still, no one here was there.

There is something troubling about this child's death and it isn't all just because his parents are Scientologists. He had been seen going into the bathroom the night before......and was not seen again until his caretaker found him dead in the bathroom at 10am. That's a whole lot of time unaccounted for. Now, if I have a child that is special needs (as autistic children usually are) or a child with any kind of medical problems, they aren't more than 30 minutes out of my sight before I start to wonder what is wrong. How can that much time have elapsed without anyone noticing he wasn't around or that they seen or heard from him in a while? It's not customary to say you're going to the bathroom and then not emerge for 12 hours.

I'm not saying that there's foul play here, I'm saying something about this whole thing reeks to high hell.

I certainly agree it needs to be checked into. Before pointing fingers at anyone or anything, or asserting what you did in your initial post, I will wait for the autopsy results and the findings of whatever investigations are done. You gotta admit that your post above doesn't exactly say or imply the same thing as your initial post that I've pasted below.

The kid had medical problems their "religion" forbade them to treat. I am sorry they lost a child, no parent should have to go through that EVER, but this could have been prevented.

BTW, I didn't know you worked with special needs kids... (good for you!) ... or were you being hypothetical?

That's often true but I don't think that is ALWAYS the case.

But never mind... I'm just not in the mood to point fingers and start assigning blame this quickly. I prefer to do that on Mondays. So... y'all have fun.

Neener neener at the Travoltas while they go through a parent's worst nightmare.

I certainly agree it needs to be checked into. Before pointing fingers at anyone or anything, or asserting what you did in your initial post, I will wait for the autopsy results and the findings of whatever investigations are done. You gotta admit that your post above doesn't exactly say or imply the same thing as your initial post that I've pasted below.

BTW, I didn't know you worked with special needs kids... (good for you!) ... or were you being hypothetical?

I was being hypothetical. I do believe that special needs children, be they autistic/developmentally challenged/physically handicapped need a standard of care above and beyond what parents would give children that have no issues. As for my initial post, I stand by it. You didn't need to copypasta it. I firmly believe this could have been prevented, and there's a number of factors that could contribute to that. Do I think the fact they're Scientologists somehow factors into it? Yes. There have been rumors for years that Jett was autistic, he had a caregiver (which is not normal for a child that has no health/special needs issues) and he was regularly kept out of the media's view as opposed to his sister, who apparently is 100% healthy.

If he had a disease or illness that caused seizures, was he taking anything for that? Was he regularly seeing a doctor to keep tabs on said disorder, to monitor changes? Why in the name of God was the kid unattended for close to 12 hours before anyone thought to go "hey, has anyone seen Jett?"

Like I said, this could have been prevented. I don't like when children needlessly die, be they the kids of celebrities, the kids of random strangers. Something about it pisses me off, even though I don't like kids all that much myself.

Hello:

This is such terrible news...

I was watching a rebraodcast of Larry King very early this am when I first heard about the news. Larry was interviewing Bryan Littrell and his wife. They have a son with the Kawaski Syndrome. For those who don't know, Bryan is one of the Back Street Boys. Bryan and his wife brought their son, Baylee, along. He is a precious little six year old..There have been many challenges but Bryan said that Baylee is fine now.

I am so sad for John, Kelly and daughter, Ella...

Juliet

Hi all,

E,agreed!

If I had a special needs child,3 seconds would be too long. <_<

And since I have taken care of people of special needs since I was 14(51 now folks),I know what I am talking about.

Still,losing a child a 16 has got to be devastating :boohoo:

John&Kelly please believe Jeff is at peace.

KB

I was being hypothetical. I do believe that special needs children, be they autistic/developmentally challenged/physically handicapped need a standard of care above and beyond what parents would give children that have no issues.

As for my initial post, I stand by it. You didn't need to copypasta it.

But I like pasta.

I firmly believe this could have been prevented, and there's a number of factors that could contribute to that. Do I think the fact they're Scientologists somehow factors into it? Yes. There have been rumors for years that Jett was autistic, he had a caregiver (which is not normal for a child that has no health/special needs issues) and he was regularly kept out of the media's view as opposed to his sister, who apparently is 100% healthy.

You may be absolutely right... or partly right... or mostly wrong. My quibble is with the rush to judgement.

If he had a disease or illness that caused seizures, was he taking anything for that? Was he regularly seeing a doctor to keep tabs on said disorder, to monitor changes? Why in the name of God was the kid unattended for close to 12 hours before anyone thought to go "hey, has anyone seen Jett?"

I agree that those are all good questions that need to be answered... but that is what they are... questions to be answered, and until we have those answers, I'm not going to agree with you that it was definitely preventable. I'll wait for the autopsy results. After all, that's one reason why autopsies are done.

Like I said, this could have been prevented.

Like I said... maybe. I'll wait for more info before rushing to judgement.

I don't like when children needlessly die, be they the kids of celebrities, the kids of random strangers. Something about it pisses me off, even though I don't like kids all that much myself.

Well, it doesn't exactly give me the giggles.

I also don't like it when adults die needlessly.

I don't like it when children die of illnesses or other problems despite treatment. Sometimes, people die despite everything being done correctly, despite heroic measures, despite the best treatment, etc.

All I'm saying is let's not rush to judgement... let's hear a few of the questions get answered before we start condemning folks... and your tone certainly was condemnatory, even if your words only came close.

I almost realised how dangerous it is living alone tonight.

Reading all these hilarious posts while eating a ham & cheese sandwich I nearly choked

and no one around to perform the Heimlich :o

I need to stop being so "Careless!" :lol:

Archived