Can I borrow $25.00?

Dzldoc

This story came to me in an email and it sounded so much like my little boy, that I've decided to post it here and dedicate it to my son.

See ya soon buddy,

Love Daddy.

Can I Borrow $25?

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his

5-year old son waiting for him at the door.

SON: 'Daddy, may I ask you a question?'

DAD: 'Yeah sure, what it is?' replied the man.

SON: 'Daddy, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?' the man said angrily.

SON: 'I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'If you must know, I make $50 an hour.'

SON: 'Oh,' the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: 'Daddy, may I please borrow $25?'

The father was furious, 'If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I don't work hard everyday for such childish frivolities.' The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boys' questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down , and started to think: Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door. 'Are you asleep, son?' He asked.

'No daddy, I'm awake,' replied the boy.

'I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier' said the man. 'It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $25 you asked for.'

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. 'Oh, thank you daddy!' He yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again.

The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

'Why do you want more money if you already have some?' the father grumbled.

Because I didn't have enough, but now I do,' the little boy replied. 'Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.'

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $50 worth of your time with someone you love.

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours.

But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

From my house to yours

That is great advice to everyone with kids!

When my boys were little, I used to work 6 days a week as I was trying to grow my private Optometry practice at the time. I particularly did not like working on Saturdays, but felt like I had to, to keep my patients happy. But I realized that Saturdays were getting to be unprofitable for me as alot of patients who had appointments either didn't show up or cancelled at the last minute because they had things to do with their families. So I gave up working on Saturdays and my patients never complained. When my boys were in high school, I even quit working on Fridays when they had sporting events that I wanted to attend. Again, no complaints by my patients. I am very close to my sons and have no regrets regarding this matter. Having my own practice and being my own boss lets me arrange my schedule as I wish, but most people don't have this luxury.

Just like the song "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin teaches: by the time you are ready to slow down in your career and spend more time with your kids, they don't need your time any more. How ironic! This song came on the radio last year after my husband and I were coming home from dropping the boys off at college for fall quarter and I started crying. My husband asked me what was wrong and I asked him "don't you hear the words to this song?" He didn't get it! I was manly crying for him as he is the one who has missed alot of the kids growing up as he is a medical doctor and is on call alot and works night and day and weekends, definitely a workahollic. I guess that shows the difference between men and women, emotionally. He may have been feeling sad but he never let it show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHdjjHNEC8

Good post dzldoc.

Just before Christmas I had a performance review with my employer.

One of the items I stressed and we agreed upon, was that at least once a month I start early and / or finish early for family or school related matters.

They were the first organisation (in Oz), that provides two weeks paternity leave for fathers.

The company is very serious about life / work balance and we are constantly urged to take our leave as regular as possible.

Like they say all work and no play makes Jack a dull and nowadays a dead boy.

There's not much point in working 60 hours a week stressed out, having a heart attack, or sustaining a workplace injury.

That doesn't help anyone, particularly your employer and most importantly your family.

You never see an epitaph reading, "he died because he didn't spend enough time at the office."

Very nice Dzldoc, and i hope you get all the time in the world with your son very soon!

So how much will it cost to get an hour away from your child :) just kidding, i get time away when i go to work, lol.

seriously though, i have 4 days a week off and spend it with the one i love!

This story came to me in an email and it sounded so much like my little boy, that I've decided to post it here and dedicate it to my son.

See ya soon buddy,

Love Daddy.

Can I Borrow $25?

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his

5-year old son waiting for him at the door.

SON: 'Daddy, may I ask you a question?'

DAD: 'Yeah sure, what it is?' replied the man.

SON: 'Daddy, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?' the man said angrily.

SON: 'I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?'

DAD: 'If you must know, I make $50 an hour.'

SON: 'Oh,' the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: 'Daddy, may I please borrow $25?'

The father was furious, 'If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I don't work hard everyday for such childish frivolities.' The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boys' questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down , and started to think: Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door. 'Are you asleep, son?' He asked.

'No daddy, I'm awake,' replied the boy.

'I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier' said the man. 'It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $25 you asked for.'

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. 'Oh, thank you daddy!' He yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again.

The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

'Why do you want more money if you already have some?' the father grumbled.

Because I didn't have enough, but now I do,' the little boy replied. 'Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.'

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $50 worth of your time with someone you love.

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours.

But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

From my house to yours

How's it going "Dzldoc?" That was beautiful! How true. Thanks. As the saying goes, "YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE UNTIL YOU HAVE LOST IT!" I know from experience as well as many of you. ROCK ON!

My mom worked 2-3 jobs when I was growing up and I didn't even live with my dad after age 9....so yea...i love family get together time....esp now that i get to sit at the "grown-up" table

At my old workplace that I rightfully quit, my boss had some issues with this topic...

A girl I worked with had a baby and took maternity leave, she came back part time, then planned on coming back full. She worked post production, so often had to work late nights. So her and my boss were trying to work out a new schedule for her, or to have her change positions where she could work days instead. Ultimately it didn't work out and my boss, being the selfish asshole that he was told me, "You know, people that have families to attend to, just don't work well for me"

She and I both quit about the same time. :D

My mom worked 2-3 jobs when I was growing up and I didn't even live with my dad after age 9....so yea...i love family get together time....esp now that i get to sit at the "grown-up" table

At my old workplace that I rightfully quit, my boss had some issues with this topic...

A girl I worked with had a baby and took maternity leave, she came back part time, then planned on coming back full. She worked post production, so often had to work late nights. So her and my boss were trying to work out a new schedule for her, or to have her change positions where she could work days instead. Ultimately it didn't work out and my boss, being the selfish asshole that he was told me, "You know, people that have families to attend to, just don't work well for me"

She and I both quit about the same time. :D

That's awful! After I had my 3rd, I worked out a reduced schedule so I could be home in time to meet the school bus in the afternoons. I worked 7:30-2 (30 hrs/wk) for the first few years and now work 35/wk during the school year, and 40/wk in the summers. My boss has children and is completely supportive. I feel very, very fortunate. When my youngest gets to middle school I plan to ramp up again to F/T and then resume work on my Master's degree :)

That's awful! After I had my 3rd, I worked out a reduced schedule so I could be home in time to meet the school bus in the afternoons. I worked 7:30-2 (30 hrs/wk) for the first few years and now work 35/wk during the school year, and 40/wk in the summers. My boss has children and is completely supportive. I feel very, very fortunate. When my youngest gets to middle school I plan to ramp up again to F/T and then resume work on my Master's degree :)

Yea, almost everyone there was working 11+ hrs a day, busting their asses. No one had or kept a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife. Only two of the employees had kids and both left. I would have never met my boyfriend, and if I had, I would have never had any time to see him. It was a sad existence...so it makes me giggle when I hear things that go wrong there...maybe wrong of me, but true :)

A child arrived just the other day

Came to the world in the usual way

But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay

He learned to walk while I was away

He was talking before I knew It

And as he grew

He said, "Im gonna be like you, Dad you know Im gonna be like you"

(chorus)

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon

Little boy blue and the man in the moon

When you comin home son I dont know when, We'll get together then

You know we'll have a good time then.

My son turned ten just the other day

He said "thanks for the ball dad, come on lets play

can you teach me to throw?"

I said "Not today, Ive got alot to do"

He said "Thats okay"

He walked away and he smiled and he said

"you know Im gonna be like you, dad

you know Im gonna be like you......"

(chorus)

He came from college just the other day

So much like a man I just had to say

"Son Im proud of you, can you sit for a while?"

He shook his head, and he said with a smile

"What Im feeling like dad, is to borrow the car keys

See you later, can I have them please?"

(chorus)

Ive long since retired, my son has moved away

I called him up just the other day

I said "Id like to see you if you dont mind"

He said "Id love to dad If I could find the time.

You see my new jobs a hassle, and the kids have the flu.

But Its sure nice talking to you, dad, Its been sure nice talking to you........"

And as he hung up the phone It had occured to me

He'd grown up just like me, my boy, was just like me..

Lovely post/sentiments Dzldoc. I bet your son doesn't need to stash dollars under his pillow because he already knows what a great dad he has and that you'd be there with him if you could.

I read in another thread that your big 5-0 birthday is coming up soon.....will you get to celebrate it with your boy?

Lovely post/sentiments Dzldoc. I bet your son doesn't need to stash dollars under his pillow because he already knows what a great dad he has and that you'd be there with him if you could.

I read in another thread that your big 5-0 birthday is coming up soon.....will you get to celebrate it with your boy?

Thank you for that.

Yes in Feb.

Considering I've missed every holiday since and including Father's Day, i'm not very confident in that becoming a reality. But I'm hoping the courts will start to do their job!

Women always seem to get the upper hand in courts. It just isnt right. It cant be any worse than NY State which is a joke. They can cheat on you and still get your money. You wouldnt believe the shit the judges pulled on me. They made me pay for half of my ex wife's credit cards that were her mothers. In her mothers name. My daughters were old enough to chose and they chose to stay with me. I wish you better luck than I had. I am fine now. Got through it and you will too. I just hope the mother doesnt try and turn them against you.

In her mother's name???? That is insane! I agree with you that it's not right that women always seem to get the upper hand in courts. But with my luck I'd get the one offbeat judge who would grant full custody to the father and that's why I'm not taking any chances and not thinking about a divorce until my daughter leaves for college.

True too about one parent saying things to turn the kids against the other parent (it can work both ways, not just the mother).......and that doesn't have to come after a divorce, it can be while living under the same roof. Which is why I'm in counseling now, to get all the tools & techniques needed to keep my big fat mouth zippered shut, LOL.

In her mother's name???? That is insane! I agree with you that it's not right that women always seem to get the upper hand in courts. But with my luck I'd get the one offbeat judge who would grant full custody to the father and that's why I'm not taking any chances and not thinking about a divorce until my daughter leaves for college.

True too about one parent saying things to turn the kids against the other parent (it can work both ways, not just the mother).......and that doesn't have to come after a divorce, it can be while living under the same roof. Which is why I'm in counseling now, to get all the tools & techniques needed to keep my big fat mouth zippered shut, LOL.

Just be yourself Angel. You clearly understand that playing both sides against the middle is not the way to go. To this day, I thank my mom for not turning me against my dad. As mad as she was at him, she realized that a boy needs to have a man in his life and that their issues were between them, not me

Just be yourself Angel. You clearly understand that playing both sides against the middle is not the way to go. To this day, I thank my mom for not turning me against my dad. As mad as she was at him, she realized that a boy needs to have a man in his life and that their issues were between them, not me

A wonderful story!

We had a similar situation in our family.

When I was 6, and my sister 3, my dad studied history to write a dissertation and become a doctor. He was reading and reseaching the whole time, but one day my father saw, how my sister listened to a Bach Fugue (classic has always been very important in our education) with her eyes wide open and asked: "What is this, Dad?".

Then my dad suddenly saw that he was going the wrong way, and quit, to spend a lot more time with us.

Archived