JIMMY CONSIDERING ROCK HALL OF FAME EVENT

SteveAJones

Can't we all just be happy that Jimmy Page was on stage happy and healthy performing old classics with his good friend Jeff Beck?

Or must we over analyze his performance to death? It's getting pretty ridiculous. :slapface:

His guitar strap malfunction is going to be scrutinized for years to come. Someone out there has just got to post it on You Tube with an overdub of Kevin Costner repeating "back, and to the left" as if it were the Zapruder film. :lol:

I don't believe Jimmy intended to take the final solo regardless.

Jimmy's appearance was exciting. His guitar playing left something to be desired.

I couldn't even hear what he was playing.

Jeff Beck was stellar and easily the best guitarist onstage last night.

His playing was indeed stellar along with Metallica's lead guitarist who was absolutely shredding during his set. Beck's look on the other hand left a lot to be desired. A horrible dye job coupled with a 1980's outfit was unreal!! I blame his wife, wow!! LOL!!

According to Ross, he flew back with Jimmy to New York right after the ceromeny. It's interesting to see his take. He might say what Jimmy's plans are. We'll see what he adds this week.

http://rosshalfin.com/diary/april-2009/diary-april-2009.php

I find it's rude to define everyone who wants a sign or photo as an ebayer and especially the children waiting at the airport. Does he really think any no-fan ebayer would do that? Waiting at an airport til 1 am? And they are merely little kids. Geez, but there you'go, that is Ross.

Edited by glicine

I find it's rude to define everyone who wants a sign or photo as an ebayer and especially the children waiting at the airport. Does he really think any no-fan ebayer would do that? Waiting at an airport til 1 am? And they are merely little kids. Geez, but there you'go, that is Ross.

I totally agree. Ross is sooo bitchy. Like people just want to make money off Jimmy and dont' adore him? Get real :rolleyes:

His guitar strap malfunction is going to be scrutinized for years to come. Someone out there has just got to post it on You Tube with an overdub of Kevin Costner repeating "back, and to the left" as if it were the Zapruder film. :lol:

I don't believe Jimmy intended to take the final solo regardless.

Oh well, at least it wasn't the sort of wardrobe malfunction that will be forever replayed with a fuzzy dot over the area in question. :D

I don't know whether Jimmy intended to take the last solo or not, and I do understand the disappointment of those who'd expected more (even though he wasn't an inductee, and thus would obviously have a limited role), but I think it was pretty classy of him not to hog the spotlight. We got to hear him during his great duet with Beck, which was a real treat. :)

Oh well, at least it wasn't the sort of wardrobe malfunction that will be forever replayed with a fuzzy dot over the area in question. :D

I don't know whether Jimmy intended to take the last solo or not, and I do understand the disappointment of those who'd expected more (even though he wasn't an inductee, and thus would obviously have a limited role), but I think it was pretty classy of him not to hog the spotlight. We got to hear him during his great duet with Beck, which was a real treat. :)

:lol: Dayum! I wish it were! Just think how long that would fuel the 'Hot pics of Jimmy' thread!

Well he nearly ended up strapless :o<_<

I agree with you - it wasn't Jimmy's night and he allowed his friend his moment. Plus I'm just happy he was up there playing, especially with Jeff which is something I've never seen.

Is this all that goes on here? you guys pick apart every word and personal performance they do? I don't see any of you selling millions of records or asked to jam with legends or recieving awards for your stellar work. Your not fans your envious wankers thats all! Grow up and do something with your life! What a bunch of verbal diarehea on this site! Let us know when your inducted or asked to play with a living legend. You will all be sorry when these guys pass on and I hope you choke on your words! or maybe your on the wrong site this is a Led Zeppelin site or so I thought?

Whoa...whoa...whoa......Stop. You're making far too much sense.

Jimmy's appearance was exciting. His guitar playing left something to be desired.

I couldn't even hear what he was playing.

Jeff Beck was stellar and easily the best guitarist onstage last night.

At your age I would think it would be prudent to move closer to the TV.

It does look like he was supposed to say something there, Joe expected him to and Jeff moved back so he could step up (a duckwalk would have been great). There was no rampaging Neil Young and Robert Plant to contend with there (though Flea and Trujillo were ready and able to do some jumping around). With all that racket going on, there wasn't much left to say at that point. Joe had made the classic Yardbirds-type statement ...

But after what Beck and Hammet had done, wow! Those guys were playing extremely well Saturday, weren't they?

Preach it, muh brother from another mother! I cannot believe it had been nearly EIGHT YEARS since Jimmy last peformed in concert on American soil. I cannot stop imagining

now what these two pals could have performed within the context of a full show, but

we knew it was destined to be just a few fleeting moments in time.

....It was a beautiful night, videos, the photos, the fans talking...the whole thing....

I wish this moment could just continue with Jimmy and Jeff,,,getting just a little greedy...just Maybe?

They are both very charismatic and absolutely charming...

Finally, It is important to celebrate friendships, but it is equally important to witness them....these beautiful moments are very rare in life, much rare than one thinks, indeed, (I know this today)....

thanks for everything...

....It was a beautiful night, videos, the photos, the fans talking...the whole thing....

I wish this moment could just continue with Jimmy and Jeff,,,getting just a little greedy...just Maybe?

They are both very charismatic and absolutely charming...

Finally, It is important to celebrate friendships, but it is equally important to witness them....these beautiful moments are very rare in life, much rare than one thinks, indeed, (I know this today)....

thanks for everything...

I love it all too. I wish Jimmy and Jeff would work together. I don't think it's greedy. They are always fantastic together. They are both charismatic and charming---and fun.

I agree, the whole night with everything was beautiful.

I did not get to watch the show as it was broadcast live, but have briefly reviewed it on TiVo as I just hot home from a long weekend away.

I thought that Jimmy looked GREAT. He was very happy and you could tell that he was glad to be there, overjoyed in my opinion. I thought that the microphone should have been raised for his speech, as he was so tall and had to hunch down to speak. His speech was nice and very complimentary to Jeff. Jimmy obviously did not want to upstage Jeff or the other incuctees, very cool of him showing this restraint. Very gentlemanly, but of course, Jimmy has always been the perfect gentleman. You could tell that he was thrilled to be playing onstage with Jeff and Metallica and the others. I am very happy to see him playing in any capacity, even if it is just on rhythm and not lead guitar.

He did not seem to be put out of sorts due to the people wanting autographs or photos and I am sure that he expected it to happen, as this was a very public function. Now if he was just out to dinner with his family and people were hounding him, then that would be different. This is the first time he has been in the US for some time and the pent up demand to see him is so great that he should be honored that people love and adore him so much that they are overjoyed to see him. And I would expect that he realizes this and understands the fan's behavior. Ross' take on the situation may be a little jaded and cynical, but that is his personality and I would guess that he also realizes how much we love Jimmy and cut us fans some slack (and we will cut him some slack for his comments) for seeking out Jimmy in this, his first public appearance in a while, and specifically in the US. It just goes with the territory of being famous. And I would also guess that all the other inductees were asked for photos and autographs as well, not just Jimmy. My son stated that it seemed to him that most of the public audience there was to see Metallica as they were wearing old Metallica T-shirts and other Metallica gear. Metallic were so thrilled to be there that they invited 200 guests to the induction (150 of them showed up)

Jimmy seemed humbled by the adoration that the people gave him when he was on stage, in my opinion.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Here is some inside information and impressions that my son relayed to me from the ceremony;

Alot of the performers and presenters (not Jeff or Jimmy or Metallica or Flea) used teleprompters for their speeches and performances. He thought that was kind of lame, that they couldn't remember what they were going to say or sing. But I told him, hey, alot of them are older and maybe too burned out to remember. :lol:

The auditorium was immense, and only a third of the floor space was occupied by tables for the VIP's.

He sat very near Jimmy and Jeff, and could see their every move.

James Hetfield's daughter covered her ears when Metallica played.

He said that the bass was overpowering in the auditorium from where he sat when most of the performers played. More so when Robert and Jason of Metallica and Flea were playing together, of course.

He thought it was great that Jason had a predominate role in the performance of Metallica.

The female bass player with Jeff was very good.

As I stated earlier, he thought that Jeff's playing was fantastic, the best of the evening.

James covered his daughters ears when Flea let go any curse words (I don't know if they showed this on tv as I just skimmed through it).

He enjoyed Flea's long speech and thought it was good (I haven't listened to it yet, but it seemed long as I was forwarding to the final jam on the TiVo). When he spotted the person at the tables with the blue hair prior to the speech, he thought that it was Eminem and was surprised that it was Flea.

He thought it odd to see people in tuxes at a rock performance. He felt like most of the fans in the stands wore t-shirts and jeans and the contrast of them with the people in tuxes was interesting.

The female bass player with Jeff was very good.

That would be Tal Wilkenfeld. She's 21 or 22 and pretty darn amazing. On his Live At Ronnie Scott's DVD, you really see Tal getting into it when Jeff goes off on some terrorizing lick. She's quite good and she's really into performing with Jeff.

JPP

A film by Oliver Stone. Starring Kevin Costner. In theaters everywhere this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-bDLa3h4Q

"Beck's solo rings out. Sounding like The Yardbirds, it excludes Jimmy completely. Frame 161, Jimmy stops playing as he hears something. Perry's head turns slightly to the right.

Frame 193, Hammett's solo hits Jimmy's ears. Frame 225, the roadie emerging from behind

the curtain. You can see that he's obviously got a guitar strap issue, raising his arms.

The Perry solo, frame 232. The roadie grabs Jimmy's guitar, pulling him downward and forward. Perry you will notice shows no signs at all of being ready to quit. He is visibly

holding his pic, which is impossible if he was done playing. Perry is turning here now. Frame 238. The final notes of his solo. It concludes as Jimmy straightens his back. This

is the moment that proves there was an opportunity for Jimmy to solo. Perry looks again

at Page. Somewhere around this time now another note is played. It's buried in the mix completely, and heard only by those in the first few rows. There is a slight break. The

final chance for Page to solo, frame 313. This is the key moment. Jimmy going back and

to his left. Again, back and to the left. Back and to the left."

JPP

A film by Oliver Stone. Starring Kevin Costner. In theaters everywhere this summer:

"Beck's solo rings out. Sounding like The Yardbirds, it excludes Jimmy completely. Frame 161, Jimmy stops playing as he hears something. Perry's head turns slightly to the right.

Frame 193, Hammett's solo hits Jimmy's ears. Frame 225, the roadie emerging from behind

the curtain. You can see that he's obviously got a guitar strap issue, raising his arms.

The Perry solo, frame 232. The roadie grabs Jimmy's guitar, pulling him downward and forward. Perry you will notice shows no signs at all of being ready to quit. He is visibly

holding his pic, which is impossible if he was done playing. Perry is turning here now. Frame 238. The final notes of his solo. It concludes as Jimmy straightens his back. This

is the moment that proves there was an opportunity for Jimmy to solo. Perry looks again

at Page. Somewhere around this time now another note is played. It's buried in the mix completely, and heard only by those in the first few rows. There is a slight break. The

final chance for Page to solo, frame 313. This is the key moment. Jimmy going back and

:hysterical:

Very creative and entertaining Steve. You should write for the current SNL.

JPP

That would be Tal Wilkenfeld. She's 21 or 22 and pretty darn amazing. On his Live At Ronnie Scott's DVD, you really see Tal getting into it when Jeff goes off on some terrorizing lick. She's quite good and she's really into performing with Jeff.

Thanks for the info, Dr Death! :)

I liked her playing also.

I think I first saw Tal when she appeared with Beck at one of Clapton's Crossroads festivals.

As for the tuxes, I think it was Ray Davies at one of the first televised induction ceremonies that said, "when did rock n' roll become respectable?"

It would be interesting to know if Page was actually supposed to take a solo since they did rehearse the day before. Though it's possible it was the case, I really don't think a jam is a moment when he (or anyone for that matter) would feel compelled to stand down because they felt it was someone else's night. Like someone else mentioned, it was a "jam" afterall. I wasn't disappointed in the least and really enjoyed it but I kind of was expecting Page to jump in at any moment since that's usually what happens during the grand finales.