Economic Stimulus?

TypeO

The current Economic "Stimulus" bill just passed by the house has been estimated to cost right at $7,000 per U.S. Taxpayer.

Only approximately 15% of the funds will actually go to IMMEDIATE stimulation of the economy, which is what we are told is the most urgent need. The vast majority is slated for 2010 and beyond.

This question has been raised - "Why not give each taxpayer the $7,000 directly?"

The counter-argument is that the taxpayers wouldn't spend it, they'd pay off bills, or save it.

The bottom line is Congress seems to think they can spend our money better than we can ourselves.

My contention is first, when bills are paid, people are more comfortable making consumer purchases, as opposed to when bills are still mounting. So this would provide a better foundation for the economy to regain it's footing.

Second, even if a person used HALF the money to pay off bills and then spent the other half, that's still 50% of the money going directly into the economy, which is still many times more than the current bill calls for. Not to mention bills being paid off are helping stabilize the companies who are owed those debts.

So my question is:

If you were handed $7,000 right now, what would you do with it?

Would it all go to bills, would you stick it into the bank?

Would you take a vacation, buy a new living room set, get a new plasma TV?

Do you think you can manage the money better than Congress can manage it for you?

I would certainly pay off debt, but probably less than half the total amount, maybe 40-50%.

The rest I would use to get a nicer TV/Entertainment system, and probably line up a nice cruise in advance for our 15th anniversary next year - we did something nice for our 10th, so I have been keeping the "every 5 years" pattern in mind for doing something extra-special.

Probably take a regular trip in the coming months as well to see my family in Florida.

How about you?

I'm not a tax payer, but I think that a person can better handle their money then Congress can. The government has already gotten people in a bad enough situation and people know where their money would best be used.

I'd put some money back for college, some for car insurance when I get my car. Then I'd buy myself health food, exercise stuff, clothes, and a Marshall amp for my dad because his small tube amp keeps dying.

The money would alleviate quite chunk of stress on individuals. With what some people owe 7,000 wouldn't do much, but it make a decent dent for most people.

Well for me its no question on where the money would go. I have always wanted to get rid of my glasses, so my choice is laser eye surgery. I know you are thinking contacts, but i'm allergic to the plastic. go figure. Anyway TypeO that cruise sounds like a good idea also! ^_^

Anyway TypeO that cruise sounds like a good idea also! ^_^

Thanks!

For our 10th we went to Jekyll Island, a relatively undeveloped island amidst the Golden Isles here on the Georgia coast.

Just a lot of quiet and unhurried time together.

Definitely awesome.

And we've never been on a cruise, so that's the plan.

The current Economic "Stimulus" bill just passed by the house has been estimated to cost right at $7,000 per U.S. Taxpayer.

Only approximately 15% of the funds will actually go to IMMEDIATE stimulation of the economy, which is what we are told is the most urgent need. The vast majority is slated for 2010 and beyond.

This question has been raised - "Why not give each taxpayer the $7,000 directly?"

The counter-argument is that the taxpayers wouldn't spend it, they'd pay off bills, or save it.

The bottom line is Congress seems to think they can spend our money better than we can ourselves.

My contention is first, when bills are paid, people are more comfortable making consumer purchases, as opposed to when bills are still mounting. So this would provide a better foundation for the economy to regain it's footing.

Second, even if a person used HALF the money to pay off bills and then spent the other half, that's still 50% of the money going directly into the economy, which is still many times more than the current bill calls for. Not to mention bills being paid off are helping stabilize the companies who are owed those debts.

So my question is:

If you were handed $7,000 right now, what would you do with it?

Would it all go to bills, would you stick it into the bank?

Would you take a vacation, buy a new living room set, get a new plasma TV?

Do you think you can manage the money better than Congress can manage it for you?

I would certainly pay off debt, but probably less than half the total amount, maybe 40-50%.

The rest I would use to get a nicer TV/Entertainment system, and probably line up a nice cruise in advance for our 15th anniversary next year - we did something nice for our 10th, so I have been keeping the "every 5 years" pattern in mind for doing something extra-special.

Probably take a regular trip in the coming months as well to see my family in Florida.

How about you?

The government would never shell out that much money to it's citizens. No matter who was in charge. Keep dreaming though, at least they can't fuck that up.

A better counter-argument is that anyone who supports giving away 7 grand to every citizen obviously has no understanding of economics. Yeah, people would pay off bills (I'd spend it on college) or maybe save it (I doubt America of all countries would do that...), but the bottom line is that it would simply cause inflation. Prices would go up, especially if everyone just paid off their bills with it. This would cause more debt, and the problem would probably be even greater.

An what should we take from this? Government handing out cash is never good. Period.

A better counter-argument is that anyone who supports giving away 7 grand to every citizen obviously has no understanding of economics. Yeah, people would pay off bills (I'd spend it on college) or maybe save it (I doubt America of all countries would do that...), but the bottom line is that it would simply cause inflation. Prices would go up, especially if everyone just paid off their bills with it. This would cause more debt, and the problem would probably be even greater.

An what should we take from this? Government handing out cash is never good. Period.

It's gonna cause inflation whether we get it or whether they spend it.

The best answer is to not "spend the money at all.

This was simply an exercise contrasting the current (government) solution, not the ultimate best answer.

It's gonna cause inflation whether we get it or whether they spend it.

The best answer is to not "spend the money at all.

This was simply an exercise contrasting the current (government) solution, not the ultimate best answer.

I agree. And for the sake of the thread, I'll just again say that I'd use it on my college tuition

Here are some of the goodies from Pelosi's Liberal grab bag:

$600 Million to Buy New Cars for Government Workers

$335 Million for STD Education and Prevention

$50 Million for the National Endowment for the Arts

The Democrats are now back in control since 1998

so with one swing there adding more gasoline

to the fire.

WHAT ABOUT THE INFRASTRUCTURE :slapface:

When i heard that no republicans voted for the stimulas in the House. I smiled. When i heard what Pelosi and Reid said, i started giggling.

When i heard Pres. Obama say that the G.O.P. should stop playing politics all i can think about is "What the fuck is he talking about". Not voting for something you think is wrong is not playing politics.

Good Job House repubs.

So Obama is praising this bill as a way to create jobs. Even if he gets his wish of 4 million new jobs, each job will cost us $250,000 for each job. When you add the interest, it will cost us $300,000.

Even more. Only 400 billion dollars can be considered stimulus, with only half of that being used in the next two year. You will only inject 1% of our GDP into our 14 trillion economy in the next two years.

If i give you 1% of your bills as cash, will that solve your problem?

The crash and burn economic spoils of 4yr intervals of political turns are boring by now, in my life that is. Oh no, there is no slow and steady i guess... definately not anymore, they lost all faith in the government and the system.

I liked what Ron Paul had to say this morning.

Obama ain't the bad guy in this one. He's just the face of the wooden puppet. Pelosi and Reid control the strings and as I've said from Day 1, they both deserve my size 13 up their asses.

Thats what iv'e been saying since Obama got the nom. in june.

Bigstick

You have earned my respect.

Which means nothing, still its nice to say.

Still, It takes one phone call from Obama to get nearly a 90% vote in favor for this. He just have to call Nancy and tell her, cut the shit, and that stimulus would be about 400 billion.

Him not doing this, is a indication he is a willing participate.

When i heard that no republicans voted for the stimulas in the House. I smiled. When i heard what Pelosi and Reid said, i started giggling.

When i heard Pres. Obama say that the G.O.P. should stop playing politics all i can think about is "What the fuck is he talking about". Not voting for something you think is wrong is not playing politics.

Good Job House repubs.

Republicans brought their proposals to Obama and ALL were rejected out of hand.

He remarked "Hey, we won." Which is to say "it's my way or the highway."

THEN he says he's waiting for the Republicans to put aside partisan politics. :slapface:

Bipartisan to the DemocRATS means Republicans caving in and accepting whatever the Dems say.

The funny part is the bipartisan vote was AGAINST the bill.

I liked what Ron Paul had to say this morning.

Obama ain't the bad guy in this one. He's just the face of the wooden puppet. Pelosi and Reid control the strings and as I've said from Day 1, they both deserve my size 13 up their asses.

I like what Ron Paul has to say every morning

I would pay off the $450 on one credit card; the $300 on the other.

Then I'd use some of it to get some needed car maintenance, and perhaps get some new windows or carpet for my house.

I've shopped for windows before, and I would like to have the energy efficient ones that tip in because I have a basement--the upstairs windows are right above the deep downstairs window wells-- making it almost impossible to clean the outsides of them.

Good Job House repubs.

So Obama is praising this bill as a way to create jobs. Even if he gets his wish of 4 million new jobs, each job will cost us $250,000 for each job. When you add the interest, it will cost us $300,000.

Even more. Only 400 billion dollars can be considered stimulus, with only half of that being used in the next two year. You will only inject 1% of our GDP into our 14 trillion economy in the next two years.

If i give you 1% of your bills as cash, will that solve your problem?

I heard the other day that the "Democrat's Social Agenda" grows the deficit by a rate of $28,000 per minute.

:lol: Wanna bet! read this article and then I will come back and tell you some more funny shit!

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01...nd_postdis.html

While this is bears striking similarities to what is going on country wide, the difference is state, and the amount of money being handed out.

You are talking about a state issue, when this situation would affect every tax payer.

I heard the other day that the "Democrat's Social Agenda" grows the deficit by a rate of $28,000 per minute.

This is why we need a president who is better than Pres. Bush in fiscal policy. Thats why we voted for Pres. Obama.......who will spend twice as much, but tell us in a very good way.

Archived