Obama's Report Card...

marolyn

The Republican Party, I think, is trying to move towards the whole "Hey, we have brown people too!" approach to combat the Democrats' minority vote...

Jindal graduated with honors at Brown University in biology and public policy. He later earned a Masters degree at Oxford University in political science as a Rhodes scholar. At the age of 24 he was appointed Secretary of Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, taking it from a $ 400 million deficit to three years of surpluses totaling $ 220 Million. He was elected to Congress at the age of 32 and served on the House Committee on Homeland Security among others. At the age of 36 he was elected as the youngest governor in the United States. I could go on.

So he's not just a "brown person". I realize that the media elite judged his speech harshly, putting style over substance in considering a man who is just beginning to be introduced to national exposure. I would remind them that Bill Clinton gave a keynote address at the 1988 DNC and was literally booed off the stage.

Doesn't alter the fact the guy's got good ideas, and he's a genuine conservative, and has been all along. Not like they're recruiting "ringers" or something.

But that's gonna be the left/democratic response - "they're just trying to appear more diverse."

But as the realization *slowly* spreads, and African-Americans begin to pay attention to what's really happening, people like Star Parker will help lead many to the realization of which party more closely reflects their personal values.

Yes, I said S-L-O-W-L-Y.

But hot-button issues will help hasten the realization.

I thought it was always Ironic that the Dems touted this man as such a role model and jumped on the "Honest Abe" band wagon. But wait! a Republican! :blink::lol:

abe.jpg

Jindal graduated with honors at Brown University in biology and public policy. He later earned a Masters degree at Oxford University in political science as a Rhodes scholar. At the age of 24 he was appointed Secretary of Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, taking it from a $ 400 million deficit to three years of surpluses totaling $ 220 Million. He was elected to Congress at the age of 32 and served on the House Committee on Homeland Security among others. At the age of 36 he was elected as the youngest governor in the United States. I could go on.

So you don't think that the Republicans playing down to minorities or women or trying to shake the WASP mentality?

So why was a chick who took 6 years to complete a journalism degree picked to be the VP candidate over a Rhodes scholar?

So he's not just a "brown person". I realize that the media elite judged his speech harshly, putting style over substance in considering a man who is just beginning to be introduced to national exposure. I would remind them that Bill Clinton gave a keynote address at the 1988 DNC and was literally booed off the stage.

Look, I'm sure he has all the credibilities you say he does. I'm sure he's a smart guy. Good for him.

But that being said. Obama had great credentials too. But I'm still positive that he made it to the White House because his skin color was something new. Jindal is no different to me. Time will tell.

So you don't think that the Republicans playing down to minorities or women or trying to shake the WASP mentality?

They are trying to get votes from as many different demographics as they can while hopefully retaining the essence of conservatism. Do they want black voters? Of course. They are more socially conservative than whites. They are the group primarily responsible for putting Prop 8 over the top in California. Hispanics are overwhelming Catholic and are pro-life. Women want protection from the threat of terrorism (security moms) just like men do. Conservatism has an appeal to any race and to both genders if advanced the right way.

The man's been in office two weeks. How can we rate him already? It's going to take time to see any real changes. We're in dire straits right now and that isn't something that will change overnight. :blink:

I agree. Sounds like we have some bitter Republicans on here. You have to give him at least a year before grading the guy. Christ.

Looks like Wall Street gave BoB the finger again today.

It's easy to have to find only 3 Republican senators to back stab their Party in order to railroad your legislation through Congress, let alone not giving any single human being the time to read it before taking a vote.

He'll find (in time) that ignoring Wall Street with the off-handish comment that "we're not concerned about the short-term fluctuations of the market" is a great way to not get re-elected.

Earth to BoB...Wall Street can tank 20% in one week and all of a sudden your comment shows you know nothing about how markets work.

Obama is fear-mongering just as intently, except it's all based on guesses, assumptions, and biased extrapolation.

And talk about a phantom statistic - how exactly do we measure "jobs saved"?

Enough already.

I was just thinking about that. If we have 96% unemployment rate, that would mean 4 million people (bear with me on the numbers) would have jobs. There would be people on this board who will think this was a great achievement by Obama.

The Republican Party, I think, is trying to move towards the whole "Hey, we have brown people too!" approach to combat the Democrats' minority vote...

Micheal Steele been a big behide the scenes guy for the G.O.P. for awhile now. Even Rush Limbaugh said two years ago, Steele would be the head guy for the G.O.P.

But i would say your not far off, the right has been moving away from being known as anti-immigrant (John McCain should never been nominated, partly why Bush beat him in 2000), which has cause them the last two elections cycle. It this notion that the illegals and legal Mexicans would outnumber the Republicans in states like Texas.

So they are moving towards the "we have brown people too", but they are still missing the point. Most Mexicans are religious and have morals that pair well with the right, but they are being pushed around by the pro-immigrant people in their towns.

It appears the perfect time for me to chime in.. ;)

Did you see his speech yesterday talking about Iraq? Political perfection! The man is genius.

The stimulus may not be perfect but it was needed. A-

He banned torture. A+

Deadline for closing Guantanamo Bay. A

Timeline for Iraq. A+++

Next on the agenda?? Healthcare.

They are trying to get votes from as many different demographics as they can while hopefully retaining the essence of conservatism. Do they want black voters? Of course. They are more socially conservative than whites. They are the group primarily responsible for putting Prop 8 over the top in California. Hispanics are overwhelming Catholic and are pro-life. Women want protection from the threat of terrorism (security moms) just like men do. Conservatism has an appeal to any race and to both genders if advanced the right way.
So...they are pandering for votes...

Thanks for proving my point.

Did you see his speech yesterday talking about Iraq? Political perfection! The man is genius.

Because he can talk good? :huh:

You'd love William Buckley then. Was ten times the speaker Obama is.

No it wasn't.

He banned torture. A+

No he didn't.

Big shit, it'll take a year to close it down and in the meantime, the American economy is sinking faster than the Titanic.

Timeline for Iraq. A+++

See above.

What gives him the right to take money from me or you or Bill Gates or even a low-income family and spread it around to everyone else? Seriously, what on Earth gives him that right?

He banned torture. A+

Timeline for Iraq. A+++

The stimulus will most likely fuck over people who did nothing wrong and had nothing to do with the economic collapse. That's a failure in policy and character.

The United States will never "ban" torture so long as it serves its point. Politicians can say what they want, and although I might not necessarily agree with the outcome, our military and this country's leaders will do whatever it takes, including torture, to achieve its objectives.

Iraq is tentative. They can word it as best they can and even wrap it in a big bow. The reality is US troops will be in Iraq for atleast another decade.

Healthcare reform is a joke. Who benefits from it? The lazy and the undeserving. Who suffers? The entire medical industry, its employees and millions of people who already pay for it.

The stimulus will most likely fuck over people who did nothing wrong and had nothing to do with the economic collapse. That's a failure in policy and character.

Healthcare reform is a joke. Who benefits from it? The lazy and the undeserving. Who suffers? The entire medical industry, its employees and millions of people who already pay for it.

pfft, rewarding hard work and living inside your means is so old-fashioned :rolleyes:

(Welcome to America)

So...they are pandering for votes...

Thanks for proving my point.

Because he can talk good? :huh:

You'd love William Buckley then. Was ten times the speaker Obama is.

No it wasn't.

No he didn't.

Big shit, it'll take a year to close it down and in the meantime, the American economy is sinking faster than the Titanic.

See above.

What gives him the right to take money from me or you or Bill Gates or even a low-income family and spread it around to everyone else? Seriously, what on Earth gives him that right?

Honestly, did you see/hear the speech? And I do think his political genius is most apparent when he speaks. ;)

We need some kind of stimulus... are you kidding? Hello! Banks, mortgages, job loss, IRA's.....

What's your plan?

Ok, I'll give you credit for the not banning torture ENTIRELY. Happy?

Closing Guantanamo is a good thing. Taking a year to do it is ok with me.

What gives him the right? Let's see.... He's the President.. What gave Bush the right to give our money to well connected and well invested people who make boatloads more than me and you? Americans voted for Obama because he represented what we wanted to see happen and now...he's doing it.

Is there anything President Obama is doing that you like? (serious question)

The United States will never "ban" torture so long as it serves its point. Politicians can say what they want, and although I might not necessarily agree with the outcome, our military and this country's leaders will do whatever it takes, including torture, to achieve its objectives.

Iraq is tentative. They can word it as best they can and even wrap it in a big bow. The reality is US troops will be in Iraq for atleast another decade.

with the stimulus.. some people are going to lose either way... but if we do nothing, some people would turn into most people. I think to stand by and watch foreclosure and job loss take our economy down would be a failure.

And yes, maybe I overstated it by saying Banned... but can we agree that waterboarding is out?

Another decade in Iraq, I don't think that's what the President has in mind.

And as far as healthcare, maybe terminally ill patients would benefit... or children.... or people with pre-existing conditions.

Honestly, did you see/hear the speech? And I do think his political genius is most apparent when he speaks. ;)

We need some kind of stimulus... are you kidding? Hello! Banks, mortgages, job loss, IRA's.....

What's your plan?

You don't even want to hear it..

And what does this stimulus plan do that's so great for the economy hmm? It spends hundreds of billions to "stimulate the economy" which is going to cause inflation in the long-term, obviously, and the citizens are going to have to take the hit for the spending anyways, so how is this saving you or I money?

Ok, I'll give you credit for the not banning torture ENTIRELY. Happy?

Yes. There's a difference

Closing Guantanamo is a good thing. Taking a year to do it is ok with me.

I agree, but when the economy is so trashed, Gitmo means little to me.

What gives him the right? Let's see.... He's the President.. What gave Bush the right to give our money to well connected and well invested people who make boatloads more than me and you? Americans voted for Obama because he represented what we wanted to see happen and now...he's doing it.

So because Bush did what he wanted, the Democrats can too? See, this is crap that makes me vote third party.

And what does being President have to do with anything? Let's say we voted a totalitarian president into power for "what he stood for". What if that meant burning down churches or soup kitchens? I mean, he was voted in, obviously he has that power right? :rolleyes:

Come on, surely you could argue/rationalize your point better than that. By your standards, everything Bush did in Iraq and Gitmo is fine because he was voted in.

Is there anything President Obama is doing that you like? (serious question)

Closing Gitmo. More troops in Afghanistan. At least attempting to fix the economy (although he's going the wrong way). Trying to keep Pelosi in check (failing miserably though).

Other than that? No.

He can talk gooder than you. :D

:lol: That was sort of sarcasm on my part

with the stimulus.. some people are going to lose either way... but if we do nothing, some people would turn into most people. I think to stand by and watch foreclosure and job loss take our economy down would be a failure.

And yes, maybe I overstated it by saying Banned... but can we agree that waterboarding is out?

Another decade in Iraq, I don't think that's what the President has in mind.

And as far as healthcare, maybe terminally ill patients would benefit... or children.... or people with pre-existing conditions.

There's no evidence pumping billions, if not trillions of dollars into the economy will solve anything. The only way to solve the problem is for the banks to start lending money again. And that's not guaranteed to happen with this stimulus.

Without troops in Iraq, many worry Iran and possibly even Russia could become more aggressive in the region. That's why we will have troops in Iraq until things change between us and Iran.

Not that it's Obama's fault but the DJIA has dropped from about 7900 on inauguration day to 6700 today, about a 15% decrease. That's depressing considering we're supposed to be optimistic about his stimulus program.

If and when it starts to work, how low will we go before a rebound?

It's like infusing blood into a decapitated Taliban victim.

Re: torture

When given a choice between pouring a little water up some terrorist fiend's nose or allowing an atomic bomb to go off in a heavily populated area.....that ain't no choice at all. We should avoid torturing people whenever possible, but an outright ban just isn't realistic.

Re: Obama's "genius" of speaking.

Yes he delivers a speech well, but I think he is helped a great deal by an immediate contrast with the person he just followed in office, who had the worst speaking ability of any President at least since Edison invented the means to record sound. The speechs he gives are primarly written for him, which in all fairness is the case with virtually any President. The man's basic intellectual abilities are still an open question. Is he bright? Well yes, obviously he is. A "genius"? That remains to be seen.

Stupid is as stupid does, and the same can be said for smart. Jimmy Carter was reknowned as having an extremely high IQ, but was a feckless President.

He banned torture. A+

Timeline for Iraq. A+++

Now its a perfect time for me to "chime" in:

The man being a genius? He is a genius at lying and saying what he thinks we want to hear! I don't see any actions backing up his words, do you?

With the stock market's Dow falling almost 3000 points since his election on November 4th, what we need is confidence. He is doing absolutely nothing to instill any iota of confidence in our country's economic future. It is because he and his cronies are on a spending spree on useless pork and pet projects that reward thier supporters who got them elected.

Yeah, he is a great talker alright. But not a doer.

He says he is getting us out of Iraq, but is leaving a significant number of troops after the deadline. I don't call that "getting out of Iraq". He is just saying this to trick us into thinking that we are getting out. We will be there forever. He knows it. Just another one of his lies.

And yes, he is banning torture, WINK, WINK. Another lie, as he knows that he can't prevent it. We'll just get other countries to do it for us. Torture is necessary to protect our country. And you are extremely naive if you don't think that other countries don't do it also.

Deadline for Gitmo? I will believe it when I see it. Just another incidence of him saying what he thinks the libs want to hear.

And about healthcare. Just another diversion for him so he doesn't have to deal with the current economic crisis. He doesn't have the balls to do what is needed to solve the problems. He'll just throw more money at establishing more levels of bureaucracy that siphon off the money that could be used to actually provide medical care to people who need it. The only one's he'll help are the government bureaucrats to become rich at the taxpayers expense while the poor suffer.

To be fair Buckeye, Gitmo is already in the process in shutting down. It's going to take a year because they need to figure out where the prisoners are going, what's going to happen regarding their trials and whatnot, and packing up everything and everybody we have down there.

I believe it's gonna be down by Christmas 09, but thats a guess

To be fair Buckeye, Gitmo is already in the process in shutting down. It's going to take a year because they need to figure out where the prisoners are going, what's going to happen regarding their trials and whatnot, and packing up everything and everybody we have down there.

I believe it's gonna be down by Christmas 09, but thats a guess

Thanks for that Wannabe. Like I said, I will believe it when I see it. Gitmo was there before Sept. 11, 2001 and it will still be there. No one has been moved out yet. The citizens of the US do not want these terrorists on our soil. They will have to do something with them. The libs will not stand for executions. It wouldn't surprise me if a secret internment camp will be opened somewhere else to house them, and I bet they won't be treated as well as they have been at Gitmo.

Not that it's Obama's fault but the DJIA has dropped from about 7900 on inauguration day to 6700 today, about a 15% decrease. That's depressing considering we're supposed to be optimistic about his stimulus program.

If and when it starts to work, how low will we go before a rebound?

It's like infusing blood into a decapitated Taliban victim.

The stock market dropped from a close of 9625.28 at Obama's election on November 4, 2008 to a close of 6763.29 today! This is almost a 3000 point drop, or around 30 percent!

Just shows how much confidence the business community has in him and in what he is doing!

The stock market functions on confidence or fear. It is obviously functioning on fear at this point in history.

Can't he see that his "stimulus plan" attempts are making things worse? That's where the fear is coming from.

Archived