I find it a tad peculiar...

Zepaholic

i can understand them not commenting on the 3Js project. it hasn't worked out, and they are probably bummed by that. yes, it would be nice to hear from the horses mouth ( jpj, jpj and jb ) the actual reason(s), if only to stop all the speculation, but it seems that's not going to happen. maybe they have done this on purpose to keep zep topical?

i also want to see the quote from jpj saying it's over........ where was that? i sure missed it.

in the jan 09 uncut magazine jimmy is quoted ( doesn't say when ) as saying " i've been writing music over the last few years. i've got various "vehicles" and they can be used and employed in various situations. I'M READY TO PRESENT THE STUFF THAT I"VE GOT. i've done a number of projects, but not an album. but i've just done a documentary ( IMGL ), and i've done some of my new music in there. I"VE GOT ENOUGH NEW MUSIC TO MAKE IT TANTALISING.

tantalise us jimmy. please!

i also want to see the quote from jpj saying it's over........ where was that? i sure missed it.

I think Steve meant "JPJ has already publicly confirmed rehearsals were held/ but the project didn't work out", not that Jonesy had said it's over.

Myles is simply being courteous towards them in the aftermath of their disappointment.

When Jimmy wishes to discuss it publicly he will. JPJ has already publicly confirmed

rehearsals were held but the project didn't work out. It's as simple as that, really.

Seems to me they just can't win for losing with many folks out there. Robert issued

a statement in September and he's still being raked over the coals for it. It's over.

so steve, you were just saying that jpj has publicly said that the rehearsals were held......... and YOU were saying that its over. is that right?

if so, well i'm sorry, but the way your post was written, it seemed to be saying that jpj had said publicly that it was over.

i'm not usually one to read "extra" things in statements, but your post read that way to me.

so steve, you were just saying that jpj has publicly said that the rehearsals were held......... and YOU were saying that its over. is that right?

Yes. Correct. No worries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Led Zeppelin are over!" says Jimmy Page's manager

Group members not recording, touring together

Joe Bosso, Wed 7 Jan 2009, 5:43 pm UTC

Despite published reports indicating otherwise, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have abandoned plans to record and tour together.

MusicRadar spoke exclusively with Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, who stated categorically, "Led Zeppelin are over! If you didn't see them in 2007 [when they played a one-off reunion at London's O2 Arena], you missed them. It's done. I can't be any clearer than that."

Singers auditioned, "no one worked out"

Mensch confirmed that last fall, when singer Robert Plant made it known he was continuing his partnership with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss and had no intention of returning to Led Zeppelin, replacement vocalists were auditioned to possibly record and tour with Page, Jones and Bonham.

"There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it" Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, on the prospect of a 'Led Zeppelin' tour.

"They tried out a few singers, but no one worked out," says Mensch. "That was it. The whole thing is completely over now. There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it."

When asked what new projects Jimmy Page was going to be involved with in 2009, Mensch said, "Fuck if I know. I'm waiting to hear."

Yes. Correct. No worries.

"Led Zeppelin are over!" says Jimmy Page's manager

Group members not recording, touring together

Joe Bosso, Wed 7 Jan 2009, 5:43 pm UTC

Despite published reports indicating otherwise, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have abandoned plans to record and tour together.

MusicRadar spoke exclusively with Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, who stated categorically, "Led Zeppelin are over! If you didn't see them in 2007 [when they played a one-off reunion at London's O2 Arena], you missed them. It's done. I can't be any clearer than that."

Singers auditioned, "no one worked out"

Mensch confirmed that last fall, when singer Robert Plant made it known he was continuing his partnership with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss and had no intention of returning to Led Zeppelin, replacement vocalists were auditioned to possibly record and tour with Page, Jones and Bonham.

"There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it" Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, on the prospect of a 'Led Zeppelin' tour.

"They tried out a few singers, but no one worked out," says Mensch. "That was it. The whole thing is completely over now. There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it."

When asked what new projects Jimmy Page was going to be involved with in 2009, Mensch said, "Fuck if I know. I'm waiting to hear."

I still find it odd that Mensch knows exactly what Page will NOT do, but has no idea what Page IS doing. Seems somewhat contradictory. Any thoughts?

Jimmy never said it was over. jpj never said it was over. jason never said it was over.

the only one associated with any of the three, jimmy's manager says it's over, but just a few days before that he said they are looking for a singer.

I don't blame anyone for being confused and wanting a direct answer from jj or j, not from peter mensch who is obviously clueless by making two completely opposite statements only a few days apart.

many, myself included, would like to hear it directly from the horses mouth. And I'm certainly not going to give up hope on Menschs' word.

I still find it odd that Mensch knows exactly what Page will NOT do, but has no idea what Page IS doing. Seems somewhat contradictory. Any thoughts?

A Led Zeppelin reformation didn't happen and the off-shoot didn't work out either. I'd say Jimmy has no idea what he may do musically this year either, aside from inducting Jeff, and by then it's already friggin' April.

Peter is speaking on behalf of an artist whom was arguably slow to accept a cold reality and whom by his own admission has no motivation to maintain a proper solo career. I

can sense (and understand) Peter's frustration.

Hello Steve A. Jones,

Are you saying it's over only based on menschs' comment. and if so, what about his inaccurate comment a few days before. That's what makes myself and i'm guessing others very skeptical, and why we would like to hear it direct from jjj.

Because of that, I just can't seem to put much weight in his statement. You would know much better of Menschs' past than myself. I've only been following closely since the reunion. Is he usually accurate, not accurate. How did he do with the reunion. did he know in advance, have any input on anything to do with the reunion, etc.

I want to put this to rest myself, but just can't let go based on what I've heard so far.

ty

A Led Zeppelin reformation didn't happen and the off-shoot didn't work out either. I'd say Jimmy has no idea what he may do musically this year either, aside from inducting Jeff, and by then it's already friggin' April.

Peter is speaking on behalf of an artist whom was arguably slow to accept a cold reality and whom by his own admission has no motivation to maintain a proper solo career. I

can sense (and understand) Peter's frustration.

Was there,or was there not,ever a glimmer of a Led Zeppelin reformation?

Are you saying it's over only based on menschs' comment. and if so, what about his inaccurate comment a few days before. That's what makes myself and i'm guessing others very skeptical, and why we would like to hear it direct from jjj.

I want to put this to rest myself, but just can't let go based on what I've heard so far.

Hello. Of course I'm not drawing my conclusion based only on Mensch's comment. Not

everything that is said appears publicly in a press release or on a website, and all too

often when it does it is taken completely out of context. Let's indeed put this to bed:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/musicradar-vs-the-bbc-on-the-demise-of-led-zeppelin-191074

MusicRadar vs the BBC on the demise of Led Zeppelin

'Zep-gate': a timeline of critical events

The MusicRadar Team, Thu 8 Jan 2009, 4:10 pm UTC

http://www.musicradar.com/gallery/news/mus...zeppelin-191074

It was only yesterday that, according to BBC 6Music, Led Zeppelin were going to tour and record again. Today, however, they're not. We know this because Jimmy Page's manager Peter Mensch told us.

So how did such a contradiction come about? Allow us to show you via a timeline of every critical, crucial and some minor events leading up to what someone just labelled as "Zep-gate." Or "Led-fence", perhaps…

7 January 2009

9:00am GMT

The MusicRadar office – despite Arctic commuting conditions - opens for business as usual.

10:52am

An interview with Jimmy Page's manager Peter Mensch pops up on BBC 6Music. Apparently Led Zeppelin will tour and record a new album without original frontman Robert Plant.

10:54am

Someone with an eager eye notices that the article in question was published on 7 January 2008. This fact is dismissed as irrelevant. Perhaps the millennium bug is finally catching up with the BBC's web operations.

11:02am

Our man in New Jersey, Joe Bosso, puts in a call to Led Zep's people. He wants a word with Peter Mensch. A Plantless Led Zep is, after all, big news.

12:55pm

The news spreads like wildfire, with the NME, MTV and Rolling Stone (to name but a few) quoting the BBC interview.

14:45pm

Joe Bosso finally makes it through a barrage of ice-tongued receptionists to the offices of Peter Mensch. The conversation went something like this:

JB: "Hey Pete, nice interview with the BBC, who's replacing Robert Plant, then?"

PM: "What interview? I haven't spoke to those guys for like four months or something."

JB: "So Led Zeppelin are not going to tour and record?"

PM: "No chance."

READ THE ACTUAL INTERVIEW HERE

15:54pm

Realisation hits that the BBC – and everything else on the interweb – has been quoting old news. Perhaps the previously dismissed and ridiculous 'millennium bug' theory was, in fact, not so ridiculous. Or perhaps it was a slow news day and that four-month-old 'I'll-get-around-to-writing-it-up-later' interview with Peter Mensch suddenly seemed like a good idea.

17:43pm

The real story is posted on MusicRadar: "Led Zeppelin are over."

8 January 2009

9:00am

Norwegian newspapers, New York City's 'premier rock station' Q104.3, Kerrang! Radio and Rolling Stone discover the contradiction.

9:55am

The BBC and NME are contacted with the updated news. The NME removes the old article from the homepage. The BBC agrees to check its facts.

15:15pm

Still no retraction from the BBC.

9 January 2009

10:01am

Overnight, the rest of the internet is, quite rightly, rather confused. MusicRadar's exclusive hits the mainstream including The Guardian, LA Times, Teletext's Planet Sound, XFM, Undercover News, Blabbermouth, Gibson and Idolator, to name but a few.

12:52pm

The NME adds a brand new story, acknowledging the latest interview on MusicRadar.

14:43pm

Still no retraction from the BBC.

16:29pm

MTV see the light.

The light MTV sees comes with it's own date problem.

Since singer Robert Plant pulled out of reunion shows in Autumn 2007 the search has been on to find a replacement singer but without success. Chris Cornell and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler are both rumoured to have auditioned. -MTV

The light MTV sees comes with it's own date problem.

Since singer Robert Plant pulled out of reunion shows in Autumn 2007 the search has been on to find a replacement singer but without success. Chris Cornell and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler are both rumoured to have auditioned. -MTV

That one's obviously just an error--his official statement was issued fall 2008.

Steve,

Thanks for the timeline. It helps to understand alot. with this information I don't believe mensch.

Why would the BBC hold off for months after having an interview with mensch where mensch said they are officially looking for a singer. There is no frigging way in a million years that the person from the bbc who interviewed him is going to hold onto a story like that. i just cannot believe that for a second. Also I doubt(but don't know for sure) that the BBC has retracted their statements.

This leaves the only solution is that Mensch is full of it. Now the question is why would he lie.

My guess is things didn't work out, maybe they didn't keep mensch in the loop. mensch did have an interview with the bbc just january of 2009. bbc published it. jjj saw the story and said WHAT THE HELL? and then Mensch had to do the second interview where he says it's over. consider this..even though it's not definite..but look at how pissed he seemed to be. Fuck if I know what he's doing, etc. Mensch fucked up, he knows it and he's pissy about it.

This makes sense. any other theories out there????

Steve,

Thanks for the timeline. It helps to understand alot. with this information I don't believe mensch.

Why would the BBC hold off for months after having an interview with mensch where mensch said they are officially looking for a singer. There is no frigging way in a million years that the person from the bbc who interviewed him is going to hold onto a story like that. i just cannot believe that for a second. Also I doubt(but don't know for sure) that the BBC has retracted their statements.

This leaves the only solution is that Mensch is full of it. Now the question is why would he lie.

My guess is things didn't work out, maybe they didn't keep mensch in the loop. mensch did have an interview with the bbc just january of 2009. bbc published it. jjj saw the story and said WHAT THE HELL? and then Mensch had to do the second interview where he says it's over. consider this..even though it's not definite..but look at how pissed he seemed to be. Fuck if I know what he's doing, etc. Mensch fucked up, he knows it and he's pissy about it.

This makes sense. any other theories out there????

I couldn't really follow you here. Did you mean the second interview is a lie? And the Js let him do that? Then what changed? The things still didn't work out so he didn't lie at all :blink: .

I couldn't really follow you here. Did you mean the second interview is a lie? And the Js let him do that? Then what changed? The things still didn't work out so he didn't lie at all :blink: .

He was asked after doing the "no more zep" interview --- why did you just a few days go tell the bbc that they are looking for a singer. he said that he hadn't spoken to them for months.

He was asked after doing the "no more zep" interview --- why did you just a few days go tell the bbc that they are looking for a singer. he said that he hadn't spoken to them for months.

That's the whole frigging point! What the BBC 6 had run as new quotations in the days leading up to Jimmy's 65th birthday were actually comments he made months prior. I've been saying this for quite some time here but I guess it's like Jimmy in Japan: some people only hear what they want to hear. It can't be made any clearer -- it's over!

That's the whole frigging point! What the BBC 6 had run as new quotations in the days leading up to Jimmy's 65th birthday were actually comments he made months prior. I've been saying this for quite some time here but I guess it's like Jimmy in Japan: some people only hear what they want to hear. It can't be made any clearer -- it's over!

Feel like banging your head against the wall :D It's very frustrating that two statements have been issued - one from Robert's side and one from Jimmy's side and yet there is still discussion, disbelief, speculation. Maybe it's me but both statements seemed pretty clear to me. I've accepted it and will await whatever musical projects happen down the road. Starting with Robert and Alison's next record.

Well, basically it's over and all we can do is speculate why things fell through. Until we hear something from them, if they should decide to, we won't know. So we'll just have threads such as this and the thousands of others on this board and just throw our opinions out there.

The problem i have is that it was NEVER going to be Led Zeppelin anyway. Page and Jones made it quite clear when they were rehearsing singers that the "project" would not be called Led Zeppelin. Fine. "The Led Zeppelin is finished nonsense" is just that...nonsense.

My curiosity stems from the ambiguity that followed this failed project. We have Mensch giving his rather terse statement about the pseudo-zeppelin being finished for good, we have Jones saying that it simply didn't work out and we have Myles Kennedy promising to tell his story one day.

With all due respect, i am left with more questions than answers. I am not spiteful in any way because i do not wish to see another half-assed reunion band with nothing to offer except memories. JP and Jones have my total support and respect for the way they go about their business and if they say it won't work, i'm a believer.

What i would like to know is:

What were they trying to accomplish with this audition.

Why is Mensch refering to Zeppelin as being finished when it wasn't going to be Zeppelin anyway.

What on earth is Jimmy Page going to do this year.

Will Jimmy hook up with Jones again.

Jason left Foreigner presumebly to work on "the project". Where does this leave him.

And finally, why is Robert still being so selfish and...............................KIDDING.

Just hoping to see some activity from the individual members aside from Robert and i was especially looking forward to seeing JPJ and Jimmy work together again on stage. Robert is absilutely where he is supposed to be and i hope that Jimmy, JPJ and Jason can find a similar place to build on their legacies.

OK im wondering here is there a way to contact the ledzeppelin.com management people because they haven't even put any news about this stuff on the website at all yet

maybe they're still deciding on what they are going to do because in the past they (led zeppelin) have done this before and then gone on tour.

they never really like press conferences and stuff like that so i have hope that this is all hear say news.

But any ways if you know how to contact the website management plz let me know <_<

OK im wondering here is there a way to contact the ledzeppelin.com management people because they haven't even put any news about this stuff on the website at all yet

maybe they're still deciding on what they are going to do because in the past they (led zeppelin) have done this before and then gone on tour.

they never really like press conferences and stuff like that so i have hope that this is all hear say news.

But any ways if you know how to contact the website management plz let me know <_<

True, this issue really needs some public clarifications, especially in terms of Robert having made his statement loud and clear (and haunted by it since then :rolleyes: ). Jimmy surely understands this, so absence of his statement on his part could mean "We still do want to play loud music, but.... " ... just my two cents worth nothing...

Archived