Are we in the Zeppelin end game?

Boleskinner

4 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

It's like that long lost girlfriend, all the memories, but it's long over.

What they did was captured on tape, thankfully.  It cannot be replicated.  Once Bonham was gone, even if they found a suitable replacement, that spirit was gone.  Had been gone for some time, even as they still created great music.  After so long, so many rides, too many life experiences, it was never going to be the same.  You can hear a clear difference in the passion even in the songs early compared to later.  It gets tiring and you only have so much mojo then it becomes a fun job, but still a job.

Sadly (or maybe fortunately), for me at least; the best we have now is watching reaction videos on youtube of a new generation hearing it for the first time.  I like watching their reactions, their confusion, their shock that such inspiring music exists.  Once in awhile I'll listen to some old live boots and hear something I haven't heard before, but it's clearly all been done.  Since I cannot rehear the music again for the first time, it's fun to see others do so.

What would be the ultimate gift from the grave would be if Page did as he said he would and releases a tell all book, "the truth" if you will about the band and their experiences.  I'd pay top dollar for that book, and I know millions of other would as well.

Very well said. 

A Page book written at or around this point of his life would not have nearly the same impact or revelations as a direct transcription of in the era as it happened journal entries and what have you. For one thing, people tend to sanitize the uncomfortable and negative parts of their past as they play out the back nine of life. They do so for a number of reasons: spare their children, spare themselves, whatever. He did give so many interviews through the years that if it hasn't been said already it likely never will, even if he did a book.

I agree with Steve. What would be a much, MUCH better gift would be to leave the vaults full of tapes - live and studio - to someone who while caretaking and preserving the legacy - was also happy to master and release some of the better live tapes in some way. Maybe or maybe not traditional commercial releases, but something for more the die-hard fans to enjoy.

I wish Jimmy would do this now actually. Why wait? A streaming service or something. (of which there was some speculation, but seemed to be inaccurate) There must be some live soundboards and/or multi-tracks he has that are still to see the light of day that are pure Zep magic - or can be sufficiently mastered with today's tech to be release worthy to Jimmy's standards.

I'd imagine if he had '77 LA or New York, or the Knebworth warm ups on SB (for example), they'd not only be release worthy but would be able to be processed into really outstanding audio quality.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

A Page book written at or around this point of his life would not have nearly the same impact or revelations as a direct transcription of in the era as it happened journal entries and what have you. For one thing, people tend to sanitize the uncomfortable and negative parts of their past as they play out the back nine of life. They do so for a number of reasons: spare their children, spare themselves, whatever. He did give so many interviews through the years that if it hasn't been said already it likely never will, even if he did a book.

Well, from his interviews he intended to speak candidly without reservation about the band.  His logic was that doing so would prevent him being sued as he wouldn't be around.

The only problem of course is how honest one would be about their own imperfections, especially after so many years have passed and one can look back at a younger time period with a less flattering view. 

I recall one particular interview Plant was in where the guy quoted something Plant had said when he was younger, Plant was uncomfortable knowing he said this so many years ago and he expressed some embarrassment for saying what he did when he was 20 years old or whatever.  He owned up to it, but life is always this way isn't it?  One grows wise, more serene and sober.  They realize, they were once caught up in the emotion and energy of the moment.  Much younger, less independent even.  Not even their own man yet.

Edited by Canadianzepper
grammar

Don’t forget the bio pic or the hologram tour in 2020 . Lol 😆 This (or some digital live stuff) might be why JP requested the Experience name from Jason Bonham. We’ll see. 

R😎

Edited by reids

Where is there any guarantee any such book will come out ? Page would have to be dictating the contents of the book now, and is there some legal document which would shield the material coming out only after death ? Most people feel uneasy setting up wills and after death financial arrangements let alone "getting the truth out" so others left alive will understand

them better. Also at Page's age people can be struck down right away, although Page despite looking old seems to be

much more animated and spry than others his age. I wouldn't be surprised that after Page's death someone finds 40? 50?

pages of Page very loosely going over his life, and there you are with a tell-all, truthful book. He has promised so much in

his past, why all the gates would open when he's gone ? But endgame, not sure if this fits, but I feel that even among younger kids/ teenagers, many consider Zep to be mythical and legendary, and many are in awe of the whole live thing, with Page's dragon suits and so on. Remember when Roy Harper first saw Zep, he thought the band  was literally out of this  world, something entirely different. Zep won't totally fade away.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone seriously thinks that Jimmy will ever publish a “warts and all” biography -along the lines of Keith Richards “Life” for example- they are sadly deluded. His default persona has always been secretive and evasive -partly comes from being an over indulged only child- and there’s no way at his age he’s ever going to change

Diary entry from the yardbirds US tour. " the rest of the band go out to watch a singer named Jake Holmes, who I have definitely never heard of,  but I decide to stay in and work on a new tune of mine called dazed and confused" 

1 hour ago, jsj said:

Diary entry from the yardbirds US tour. " the rest of the band go out to watch a singer named Jake Holmes, who I have definitely never heard of,  but I decide to stay in and work on a new tune of mine called dazed and confused" 

😂😂

On 10/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, jsj said:

Just carrying on in this theme:

Diary Entry 3rd August 1977 “ just got back from US Tour, my goodness went really well despite having a dose of food poisoning and some sort of bug for the entire trip I just couldn’t shake off...” 

1 hour ago, Paganini said:

Just carrying on in this theme:

Diary Entry 3rd August 1977 “ just got back from US Tour, my goodness went really well despite having a dose of food poisoning and some sort of bug for the entire trip I just couldn’t shake off...” 

1st July 1972:

"US tour grossed $30 million. Really p****** off though as Robert borrowed 50 cents from me for a packet of fags from the vending machine AND STILL HASN'T PAID ME BACK. Make mental note to phone him about it (remember to reverse charge)."

November 12, 2016: "SAJ is absolutely lived about what went down at the Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo tonight. He ranted for nearly an hour, calling me names that would make Peter Grant blush and suggesting I do things that are anatomically impossible. Then he concluded by saying the organizers will be compelled to issue refunds if it's the last thing he ever does".   

Diary Entry 12 January 1969 “ Today saw the release of our debut album, all new material ( I made sure the mics were placed well away from the amps) So myself and Jeff have both released new stuff recently, cool vibe going down ...

Note to self —I’ve not heard from Jeff for ages really strange cos he used to be round here a lot.....must look him up sometime.......” 

28th July 1969, Seattle: "apparently one of the girls had an encounter with a fish last night. Nothing to do with me, I was in bed early with a glass of milk and an improving book."

12th July 1985: "must get good night's sleep before the show tomorrow. Can't find guitar tuner anywhere. Robert sounds a bit croaky but I'm sure it'll be alright on the night!"

Diary entry 6th November 1984: “ played with my great friend Roy Harper on set at Scafell Pike for the Old Grey Whistle Test. Had spent the previous evening with Roy having nice quiet pub dinner and then an early night in preparation for the day’s filming...”

4 hours ago, Paganini said:

Diary entry 6th November 1984: “ played with my great friend Roy Harper on set at Scafell Pike for the Old Grey Whistle Test. Had spent the previous evening with Roy having nice quiet pub dinner and then an early night in preparation for the day’s filming...”

I was reading an account of this in Mark Ellen’s book. They were both up all night on red wine and coke the night before accompanied by two fair maidens

53 minutes ago, jsj said:

I was reading an account of this in Mark Ellen’s book. They were both up all night on red wine and coke the night before accompanied by two fair maidens

Yes that’s what I’d read as well ...sounds great fun but not something our hero would ever admit to 😁

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 10:16 PM, nick2632 said:

Press coverage and official merchandise.. At least someone here can predict the future.

But SERIOUSLY! Why not a f***ing superb audio release of the killer Royal Albert Hall 1970 show!? Yes, we already essentially have it on bootlegs, but I would really enjoy having an official copy of it... Perhaps on Jimmy's upcoming birthday, the 50th anniversary of the RAH show. At least something after the huge disappointment that the remastered TSRTS and HTWWW turned out to be, still can't really figure out what the purpose of those were.

It’s available on “DVD” released back in ‘03

On 2/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, Fat Albert 72 said:

Over 2/3 of it and with footage, it’s stunning.

Absolutely!!!! Should be a stand alone release. As for '80 - it is so inconsistent it will never happen - at least while Jimmy is in control. The Copenhagen warm up gigs could potentially make for a release covering their latter years. If Jimmy has really good SB's - they should be worked on in the best studio's with the best software to create something. - But I highly doubt that would happen either unfortunately. Realistically I think the best we can hope for is a FULL RAH, EC, and/or Knebworth release (take your pick) - maybe done as a final "remaster expanded release" of Led Zeppelin DVD like everything else has been (extra DVD and possibly some bonus CD's) - or potentially whatever was recovered from Bath. Given the time that has transpired - even considering how "Zeppelin time" operates - I think anything more "live" is almost at the "no chance" point.

It really looks like this is the end game in that respect.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

Absolutely!!!! Should be a stand alone release. As for '80 - it is so inconsistent it will never happen - at least while Jimmy is in control. The Copenhagen warm up gigs could potentially make for a release covering their latter years. If Jimmy has really good SB's - they should be worked on in the best studio's with the best software to create something. - But I highly doubt that would happen either unfortunately. Realistically I think the best we can hope for is a FULL RAH, EC, and/or Knebworth release (take your pick) - maybe done as a final "remaster expanded release" of Led Zeppelin DVD like everything else has been (extra DVD and possibly some bonus CD's) - or potentially whatever was recovered from Bath. Given the time that has transpired - even considering how "Zeppelin time" operates - I think anything more "live" is almost at the "no chance" point.

It really looks like this is the end game in that respect.

Yep. No chance I’m afraid