"It Might Get Loud" - USA Schedule

sam_webmaster

World premier was held at the Toronto International Film Festival on 9/5/08, and it was repeated on 9/7 & 9/13. The current theatrical release is for USA only. However,

I have heard the dvd will be released in Canada on September 25th.

:( i was soo looking forward to seeing jimmy on the big screen....but the dvd is definitely good news! :)

I would have posted earlier but I vowed to stay away from all tv and the internet over the weekend so as to avoid the whole Woodstock anniversary hype that I grew sick of long ago.

So anyway, I have now seen "It Might Get Loud" three times...the first being the LA Film Fest premiere; the second the advance midnight screening last thursday night at the Arclight; and finally again at the Arclight Saturday afternoon with Davis Guggenheim in person for a Q & A afterwards.

First, you HAVE to see this on a big screen, as there are things you just won't pick up on by seeing it at home. If it is playing anywhere near you, go see it....or keep calling your local theatre and demand they book the movie!

The first time I saw the film, I was just so excited getting to see it...and with Jimmy, Jack and Davis in the house, no less...that it all went by in a blur.

But now after seeing it twice in less than a week, there's certain things I noticed that slipped by me the first time.

For instance, during the by-now much-discussed scene where Jimmy plays Link Wray's "Rumble", with a big smile creasing his beaming face, what at first I thought was an armful of 33rpm records that Jimmy was riffling through, is in fact, a bunch of 45rpm singles! Hmmmm, Jimmy with 45 vinyl singles? EAT SHIT "michaeltw"!

You will also notice that, as Jimmy is air-guitaring along to "Rumble", you can see various Led Zeppelin bootleg sets on the wall behind Jimmy! Oh, and that Jimmy has quite a collection of vinyl...and that is probably just a small part of his entire collection. This is a detail that would be harder to pick up on watching it on dvd, but on a giant screen it just leaps out at you.

For instance, on the top shelf is a giant silver circular tin, about the size of a vinyl record, with the band photo from Led Zeppelin III on the front. It's something I have never seen before, and I can't tell if it is an offical package or a bootleg set. It's some vinyl set from the looks of it.

But I digress...back to the film.

As it is only playing in two cities, LA & NY, there is still a limited number of people with the chance to see it, so again, I don't want to give away everything before the majority of you see the film.

It is good, maybe even near-great, although as with most music documentaries, there's always little things you might change...certain times you want the performance clips to go longer or certain ideas are expressed that you want illuminated further.

Some inconsistancies(Jack and the Edge get cute animated sequences but not Jimmy) and even some factual descrepancies(Jack is STILL trying to pull that Meg is my sister ruse!) pop up and "The Summit" is somehow almost anticlimactic...although it ends with a nice unexpected touch with the three jamming acoustically to The Band's "The Weight". Don't leave during the closing credits or you'll miss it, along with Jimmy showing Jack and the Edge his theramin!

The Headley Grange moments are PRICELESS! Especially the vintage(1971?) stuff of Jimmy playing his mandolin outside while a dog scampers along and Robert is shimmying his hips...I am assuming they are listening to the playback to some song(Going to California? Battle of Evermore?) from the Rolling Stones Mobile Truck parked outside the house. This is footage I have NEVER seen before and to see it on a big screen sent shivers down my spine!

Oh, the early U2 footage is also priceless...you'll howl with glee at the Edge's guitar face and Bono's shiny pants and everyone's hair!

My favourite clip of Jack White is the gig where he is literally bleeding all over his guitar...him listening to Son House's "Grinnin' in your face" is quietly powerful, too.

Fascinating vintage clips of Link Wray, Lonnie Donegan and best of all, Reverend Gary Davis performing "Death Don't Have No Mercy In This Land"....breathtaking!

I'll be back with more comments, but I just want to leave you with some things that the director Davis Guggenheim said at the Q & A this past saturday:

"The Summit" actually started very slow and boring, with them just exchanging pleasantries(How's the wife? How many kids you got? etc, etc.)...then Jimmy picked up his Les Paul and cranked out the riff to "Whole Lotta Love", as if to say to the others, THIS is what I do!

Jimmy did talk about Les Paul, but that part was edited out of the final cut. In fact, look for lots of bonus footage on the dvd, including all three jamming on "Kashmir" and "Bullet the Blue Sky".

The "Summit" was filmed late January 2008, so I asked Davis if he went to the Ahmet Tribute concert at the O2. He said it was the same day as the Nobel Prize ceremony and so he had to miss it; he said he thinks he made the wrong choice, lol!

Also in the audeince at that saturday screening was Lonn Friend, who started Rip magazine in the 80's. As Creem was self-destructing by the mid-80's, Rip came along just in time...they put Guns N Roses and Metallica on the cover long before Rolling Stone.

Maynard Ferguson's daughter Lisa was there as well as Vicky Hamilton, the woman who first discovered/managed Guns n Roses then got screwed by the band and the record company weasels.

Lastly, and most importantly, "It Might Get Loud" is NOT getting the promotional muscle and release that "An Inconvenient Truth" received from the studios and media.

Which means that this film will need to rely more on word-of-mouth and as many people need to go see it now in the theatres and NOT wait for the dvd release. The better it does in theatres the more Davis can get the studio to put out more prints and expand the release pattern and spend more money on publicity; radio & tv ads, etc.

So if you have seen it and like it, tell as many people as you can...fire an e-mail blast to all your facebook friends, etc. GET THE WORD OUT NOW!!!!

Call your local theatres and ask if they are going to run the movie, and if not, demand an answer why! Get your friends to sign a petition requesting the theatre show "It Might Get Loud". It might sound silly, but every little bit helps.

SPREAD THE WORD fellow Zepheads!

Just to add a couple things...

Davis also said that there will not be a soundtrack release due to musical legal clearance issues.

Regarding Jimmy's scenes at Headley Grange: That was the first time Jimmy had been back to Headley since he took young Jason Bonham there shortly after Bonzo died. The place has changed since they recorded, as the new owners have added bookshelves and stuff to the stairwell hall that weren't there before.

As Les Paul had just passed away earlier that day, when I went to the midnight show last Thursday I stopped by Les Paul & Mary Ford's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, as it is on Vine St. between Selma and Sunset Blvd., on the way to the Arclight Hollywood Cinemas. Someone had already set up a big floral wreath and there were a couple of other tokens left on the star. Paid my respects and continued on to the movie. Afterwards, heading back up Vine, I noticed that someone had left a bottle of Wild Turkey on the star in honour of Les; very cool!

Thanks Steve for sharing those reviews. Very positive regarding the film with great detail and in depth reporting. Love reviews like that which provide so much detail on something you're very interested in.

Thanks for sharing Strider for the insight on Les Paul and the experience.

Can't wait to see the movie tomorrow in NYC. Going to the AMC Empire 25 for the 1:45 pm showing.

Saw a Gannett review today saying the film was "now showing in Los Angeles and New York, with a slow national rollout beginning Friday and a DVD release in late fall."

It also quoted Guggenheim as saying about Jimmy's WLL moment: "That was the throwdown, him saying 'This is what I do.'"

I wish it was!!!!

I'll be going Saturday 8/29 in Chicago - not sure which time yet.

I've had a sticky tab on my computer at work for ages with the date 8/21/09 as that was the original date published months ago.

I was going to try and see it tommorrow while up in the West Burbs of Chicago while my dogs were getting groomed but one theatre is in downtown Chicago and I don't do downtown Chicago very often unless I take the Metra in from the Burbs and the other theatre is up in Evanston IL.

I guess I will decide when I get up in the Burbs tomorrow about going. If not, I will wait till the dvd comes out cause it isn't being shown south of I-80 in Illinois.

Saw it today in Chicago. There were a fair number of people there but not as many as I would have expected. I was the only one with Led Zeppelin t-shirt on!

I liked that it gave us a peek into JP's mind. I also enjoyed the contrast with the other two guitarists.

OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! :) I got to see IMGL this afternoon...went with my sister and ny husband,AND I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES I AM YELLING!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! :D I am still just over the moon about this movie. It was PHENOMENAL. I am actually speechless...all I can say is GO SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!!

I have to say i have an even greater respect for Jack White as a guitar player after seeing this.

And JP---well, there are no words!!! He was wonderful, and I was about having a coronary to be able to see him on the big screen again. :)

GO SEE IT!!

Sharon

PS--my husband and sister both LOVED it, too!! They really like Zep, but aren't obsessed like I am. But they both thought it was EXCELLENT. My husband's only comlaint with the movie is that he wished there were 6 more hours of it. :D

OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! :) I got to see IMGL this afternoon...went with my sister and ny husband,AND I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES I AM YELLING!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! :D I am still just over the moon about this movie. It was PHENOMENAL. I am actually speechless...all I can say is GO SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!!

I have to say i have an even greater respect for Jack White as a guitar player after seeing this.

And JP---well, there are no words!!! He was wonderful, and I was about having a coronary to be able to see him on the big screen again. :)

GO SEE IT!!

Sharon

PS--my husband and sister both LOVED it, too!! They really like Zep, but aren't obsessed like I am. But they both thought it was EXCELLENT. My husband's only comlaint with the movie is that he wished there were 6 more hours of it. :D

I know!!! I saw it Friday and I am still high from Pagey!!! I loved it so much and I have been daydreaming about him ever since! I about died when he said at the beginning about caressing the guitar like a woman. And all those pictures of him, it was fantastic! Like I said in the Pagette thread, it was a heavenly Pagette feast!!! I didn't want it to end!! The other two were very interesting and I didn't realize Jack was actually my age. But Pagey was so perfect, that you hardly saw the other two.

Good Morning:

I wonder if it wiill show at The Toronto International Film Festival in September?

Juliet :coffee:

Hello:

I searched the site and the film was there last year..I do recall now a report on the news where Jimmy and others were going into a theatre...

I still hope it comes to Canada...at some point...there's alot of Zep, U2 and Jack White fans here

• Administrators

Hello:

I searched the site and the film was there last year..I do recall now a report on the news where Jimmy and others were going into a theatre...

I still hope it comes to Canada...at some point...there's alot of Zep, U2 and Jack White fans here

We attended the Toronto premiere last year, w/ JP, Edge and Jack W. Some fans on the board also attended. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

At the moment, I don't think there's any further Canadian screenings planned. :console:

It's in Germany since Aug. 27th and I hope they will play it in my fave cinema "Union" in my ol' home Berlin-Friedrichshagen, because it is at last again a film that I can watch without getting pannicked (I work at a film archive but I haven't seen most of the films I know the synopsis of...ohmy.gif I could be the perfect person to check if a film is good for underaged...though I am absolutely not underaged...blink.gif )

We attended the Toronto premiere last year, w/ JP, Edge and Jack W. Some fans on the board also attended. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

At the moment, I don't think there's any further Canadian screenings planned. :console:

Hello Sam:

Thank-you for replying and trying to console me but I'm unconsolable at this time :(

Juliet

PS Gee..I wish I'd known that board members were getting together for the premiere last year in TO...I would have liked to have been part of that...I could have brought some Ontario apples

Archived