Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Black_dog_boogie

Is Jimmy Page done making music?

I watched the 1992 RRHOF Jam on "All Along The Watchtower" the other night.

Page was there because The Yardbirds had been inducted that night.

Neil Young handled the lead vocals, and, at one point, Jimmy was given the slot to take the lead. It was okay. But I did not come away, "Wow! Jimmy really nailed it!!! He showed them some awesomeness!!"

There's a real mercurial aspect to Jimmy's performing post Zeppelin.

Either he's got it, or, he doesn't. As great as Jimmy was in the 70's, the times when he really has had it post Zeppelin are rare, especially for big live events. Why?? I don't know or care.

Jimmy gave me more than I could ever hope for in the 70's, and that, is good enough.

As great as EVH is now, he's performing with a dude that can't won't sing right, so that's a sum clusterfuck.

A part of me believes Jimmy has been recording music since Walking Into Clarksdale and is waiting to release it in one giant compilation. I refuse to believe that Page, one of the most creative musicians ever, has just sat around watching Friends reruns for twenty years. I know he's been busy with the remasters, but there's gotta be some creativity left in the tank.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:10 AM, The Rover said:

Either he's got it, or, he doesn't. As great as Jimmy was in the 70's, the times when he really has had it post Zeppelin are rare, especially for big live events

Respectfully disagree. Great with the Crowes. Awesome playing in ‘98 in particular. I was too young to see him in ‘88  but by all accounts he was pretty fluid. 

In terms of current or future music, he’s definitely done. Fair enough I say. He’s in his 70’s for God’s sake. His back catalogue gives me so much happiness. That’s more than I could ever ask for 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I refuse to believe that Page, one of the most creative musicians ever, has just sat around watching Friends reruns for twenty years.

Believe it, and note also it can be argued his genuinely creative period only lasted from 1968 to 1975. Anyway, just a vast lunar landscape for 20 years now.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Believe it, and note also it can be argued his genuinely creative period only lasted from 1968 to 1975. Anyway, just a vast lunar landscape for 20 years now.

You could argue that most musicians in rock have a creative well that runs dry after about 10-12 years. Beck is an exception but how many others are there? Has Clapton written a great new song in the last 25 years? Jagger or Keef? The Who? The vast majority of that 60s / 70s era of bands have been "back catalogue acts" since the late 80s now so Jimmy's not exactly alone in this is he.

He's not helped himself by constantly promising a new album that doesn't arrive, but in every other sense, he's only same as most of his contemporaries.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Believe it, and note also it can be argued his genuinely creative period only lasted from 1968 to 1975.

Great point.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Kashmir was the last great song the band wrote. 
People will argue Achilles, but that is a track that is really only known to hard core fans.

15 hours ago, 76229 said:

You could argue that most musicians in rock have a creative well that runs dry after about 10-12 years. Beck is an exception but how many others are there? Has Clapton written a great new song in the last 25 years? Jagger or Keef? The Who? The vast majority of that 60s / 70s era of bands have been "back catalogue acts" since the late 80s now so Jimmy's not exactly alone in this is he.

He's not helped himself by constantly promising a new album that doesn't arrive, but in every other sense, he's only same as most of his contemporaries.

I don't disagree. No less than Bob Dylan once said something to the effect of even the greatest musicians only have about six great songs in them, and inevitably they'll spend most of their lives reworking those same six songs into other songs. That said, Jimmy Page finishes last among contemporaries when it comes to activity. He is markedly different in that respect. 

15 hours ago, 76229 said:

At least Clapton and Beck still have their guitar technique.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

A part of me believes Jimmy has been recording music since Walking Into Clarksdale and is waiting to release it in one giant compilation. I refuse to believe that Page, one of the most creative musicians ever, has just sat around watching Friends reruns for twenty years. I know he's been busy with the remasters, but there's gotta be some creativity left in the tank.

JP watching "Friends" reruns !..I'd bet he's never even seen it. As for Jim's creative well it appears to have long dried up..

I think there's a lot to be said about how drugs affect the brain. I'm not talking about "Here's your brain on drugs", but more like how they can transform your entire mindset. After Jimmy had his initial stint with heroin and pills he admitted that he put his guitar away and didn't pick it up for a long time. It's very possible that the dope may have warped his creative spark.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, Boleskinner said:

Great point.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Kashmir was the last great song the band wrote. 
People will argue Achilles, but that is a track that is really only known to hard core fans.

I put NFBM as a great LZ track. It was the last greatest track released in their studio albums.

I never 'got' the studio version of Kashmir. But after experiencing it live, especially in 1977, I came away thinking that Kashmir is one of the greatest LZ songs I've ever heard performed live. And after experiencing it live, I just don't /can't return to the comparably 'weak' version I hear on the LP. The Symphonic LZ version comes away as more powerful than the studio version. But whatever was on that studio version was sure 'radio friendly', and hit the 'sweet spot' for the programmers, because Album Rock stations couldn't play it enough.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Rover said:

I put NFBM as a great LZ track. It was the last greatest track released in their studio albums.

I never 'got' the studio version of Kashmir. But after experiencing it live, especially in 1977, I came away thinking that Kashmir is one of the greatest LZ songs I've ever heard performed live. And after experiencing it live, I just don't /can't return to the comparably 'weak' version I hear on the LP. The Symphonic LZ version comes away as more powerful than the studio version. But whatever was on that studio version was sure 'radio friendly', and hit the 'sweet spot' for the programmers, because Album Rock stations couldn't play it enough.

Yeah, I'll always go for a live version of Kashmir as opposed to the studio version as well.

My goto is the Knebworth version on the DVD.

I love the sheer power of it and the knowing look Page gives Plant at the start. It's like - "We're back".

I also like the O2 version on the DVD as well. Gives me goosebumps when Plant summons that howl during the first bridge.

Anyway, sorry, meandering off topic. 

As for NFBM. I do like it and the rhythm section is dynamite, but in terms of songwriting, it's quite derivative.  

Edited by Boleskinner

21 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I think there's a lot to be said about how drugs affect the brain. I'm not talking about "Here's your brain on drugs", but more like how they can transform your entire mindset. After Jimmy had his initial stint with heroin and pills he admitted that he put his guitar away and didn't pick it up for a long time. It's very possible that the dope may have warped his creative spark.

I strongly agree with this.

However he really brought the goods on ITTOD, moreso I'd even say than on Presence. 

I have posted on this thread before and it keeps coming back up...I think the time has passed for Jimmy to play new music or for him to tour extensively.  It kills me to say it, but I have come to accept it in the years since the O2.  

I tried to get tickets to the O2 using so many friends email addresses (like 20 different emails), but apparently Paris Hilton was a bigger fan than I, so she was able to secure a ticket through the lottery just like everyone else ;)  while I waited at the computer for poor quality youtube vids the night of the show.  You can tell I am not bitter at all...

Back to Jimmy playing live again or recording; I would say "but if...," or "he should have recorded with Roy Harper," but it has all been said before and he will not go out again there unless it is some version of what he created in 1968.....and we all know the chances of that panning out. 

I held out for 10 years for my old bandmates because I was so comfortable with what we had...I also wasted 10 years of the artistic part of my life during this pathetic vigil, reinforced by a jam session with my old mates every three to six months or so and with me only playing acoustic open mic nights in local bars and coffehouses.  I finally got completely disgusted after our last time playing a few months back.  Now I am playing with some people 10 years younger than myself; it was hard at first, but now it fits like a glove.  We are primarily a cover band and have yet to play out, but I can relate to Jimmy's inactivity in some small way I suppose...as far as the longing for what was once so comfortable goes.

Jimmy has had so many opportunities to play with whomever he wants but held out for his true love in the Zeppelin...such a classically tragic and romantic story. 

Aging is a real bitch.

On 6/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I believe Jimmy said somewhere that he felt the high made him more creative.   If true, then he relied on it for inspiration and if you're not inspired playing is useless.

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

I believe Jimmy said somewhere that he felt the high made him more creative.   If true, then he relied on it for inspiration and if you're not inspired playing is useless.

Then where's the material? Presence?