Best-sounding boots

MisterMcLov1n

The sound-quality of many Zep boots I've been listening to lately is bugging me. The audience recordings sound like a wind tunnel and the soundboards are a shot in the dark. What do you think are the best-sounding boots around? Regardless of the quality of the actual performance.

The sound-quality of many Zep boots I've been listening to lately is bugging me. The audience recordings sound like a wind tunnel and the soundboards are a shot in the dark. What do you think are the best-sounding boots around? Regardless of the quality of the actual performance.

The official stuff (obviously)

The DVD audio rip of RAH

Nassu veterents thing (I cant remember the exact name)

Blues Anytime

Texas international pop festival

Southampton university

My favs :D

1975.02.12 Four Blocks In The Snow

Unreleased live album, period.

I'd recommend getting a hold of Montreux 70' as for an excellent audience recording or a good 73' matrix, for 77, apart from the Millard recordings, get the excellent sounding (to my ears) recording from May 30th, the first show in New York from 1977 and the 6/11th show.

I checked out "Four Blocks" and it really is great. Its Kashmir is really good.

Just about every song from that show is above average, especially No Quarter, Trampled, Over the Hills (best version I think), Stairway.

Id say just get every soundboard and see for yourself.

Most impressive sound from bootlegs I'd have to say in order:

1. Any 1975 soundboard

02-12, 02-14, 02-16, and 03-05 have best overall sound

2. 10-10-69 Paris

3. Southampton 73

4. Intimidator 70

I want to say Orlando 71, but it might be a bit flat

Ive not been too happy with the sound of 77 and 80 soundboards, better than nothing and usually better than audience but they just dont sound as crisp as the others Ive mentioned. Knebworth are decent.

Get some good headphones and all but the very bad sounding recordings will be much more listenable.

- Any Millard recording (Listen To This Eddie (21-6-77), For Badgeholders Only (23-6-77), Long Beach '75, theres a few more.

- Flying Circus '75, but really any soundboard from '75 is boss.

- Knebworth

- 30-5-77 Landover, quite a good audience recording.

- Vienna '73; stellar performance and quite a good sounding boot.

- Destroyer, Cleveland 4/27/77

- 4/27/69; A must have in any collection

Do a mix of St Louis and San Diego 75. Take your pick of what songs sound better to you. Had it cranked in the car today and it was absolutely awesome. Great stuff for a beautiful sunny day B)

Top 5 for each year IMO

4-27

8-31

1-5(aud)

10-10

4-25

Any of the BBC stuff is also really good obviously. So are most of the San Fran shows in January, April, and November

The earliest recorded show in Spokane is often critisized as poor, but I think it's pretty quality for the most part especially considering that it probably had no right to be recorded anyway.

1-9 RAH

3-21 Vancouver

3-7 Montreux

9-4 LA

8-15 Yale

Last 3 are aud recordings

Couple others 8-21 Tulsa, 3-9 Vienna, 2-28 Copenhagen Oakland 9-2 all are aud

9-29 Osaka

Orlando 8-31

9-4 Toronto

5-3 Copenhagen(aud)

9-9 Hampton

I didn't mention 4-1 London because it's in the BBC sessions

Couple others 9-13 & 14 Berkley, 8-21 & 22 LA Forum, any of the Japan shows

6-25 LA Forum(aud)

6-22 San Bernardino(aud)

6-27 Long Beach(aud)

any of the Australian & NZ tour, and Japan tour are good also.

1-22 Southampton

3-16 Vienna(aud)

5-31 LA Forum

7-6 & 7 Chicago

5-26 Utah

Garden Tapes are good also, 7-17 Seattle, 6-2 San Francisco, 5-28 San Diego, a lot of the early British tour shows in January are good sound boards.

3-19 Vancouver

3-24-27 LA Forum(aud)

3-11 & 12 Long Beach(aud)

5-17-25 Earls Court(17-23 AUD)

2-14 NY

Any of the early 75 shows are tainted because Robert's voice is so bad. I only like the first couple of shows(1-12 Brussells, 1-20 Chicago) because they have some rare songs. But there's a few gems in 2-16 St Louis and 2-12 New York(which is way overrated, Robert was terrible in this show), 3-14 San Diego is another good one.

I have to do a lot more with this one

All the LA Forum shows are good

Here's how I rank those shows

6-23

6-21

6-22

6-27

6-25

6-26

But all are pretty quality audience recordings

Outside of LA here's my top 5

Landover 5-26

Houston 5-21

Cleveland 4-28(aud)

New York 6-11(aud)

Ft Worth 5-22(aud)

Any of the MD shows are decent to good, 4-27 and 7-17 are soundboards, but the performances were so bad it taints them both.

All 4 are great shows.

6-30 Frankfort

6-29 Zurich

6-26 Vienna

6-17 Dortmond

6-18 Calogne

Great, just when I thought my zep boot collection was complete, I go and read NickZep's top 5 list. Now I need to get my hands on 08-15-1970 - Yale and 09-04-1971 - Toronto. :D
Mmmmmh, I always had Yale labeled as a bad recording, I might want to re-visit it, be aware though, the audience is quite distruptive.

Yale isn't that good, and the Toronto '71 show is a decent enough SBD but the show isn't the best '71 show...if you want good '71, check out the LA Forum gigs (sound is decent), the Berkeley gigs (ditto) and the Orlando SBD/AUD mix...

Thanks for the advice. I do have the 9-14 Berkeley show and the Orlando show. They are both great shows, but my favorite from 71 is 9-29 - Osaka. I think the Whole Lotta Love medley from that show is one of their best.

Mmmmmh, I always had Yale labeled as a bad recording, I might want to re-visit it, be aware though, the audience is quite distruptive.

Audiences are subjective. I just tend to like them more because you get more of an overall feel of the concert you don't get from some soundboards. Yale has a lot of energy, it's one of my favorite 70 shows.

1972.10.02 Tokyo is among the greatest and best sounding audience recordings from the band, don't miss it.

Another good choice. I'm listening to this right now on my computer at work.

Zep sure did put on some great shows during those two tours of Japan.

In my heart in have to say -zurich, i know thats stupid now a days...but when i was buying led zep boots on vinyl and then paid an over amount for the zurich cds at the time... it wore away, but came back and wore away and came back again in appreciation. Sooo, i have to say -zurich, for memory sake.

• 1 month later...

Conquistador (Earl's Court, 1975...best overall)

Conquer Europe (Zurich, 1980...cleanest recording I have)

Bertha Goes to Frankfurt (Frankfurt, 1980...much better bass than Hotter Than The Hindenburg)

It's Alright New York (MSG, 1975...newer version of Flying Circus)

Final Cut (Knebworth, 1979...some audio issues here and there but great mix)

I'm not a big fan of audience recordings (obviously) but Live On Blueberry Hill sounds pretty good

Archived