Reunion reports?

sbaur9

Changing your tune may be your ‘Stairway to Heaven'

BY DAYNA STEELE

April 06, 2009

+ enlarge photo

With all the doom and gloom in the news, economic crisis, foreclosures and layoffs – is this a good time to think about changing careers? It is if you aren’t following your passion in the first place.

As a former rock and roll radio air personality in Texas, I had the opportunity to be around a lot of musicians. Many of them had great music but not all of them became rock stars. The ones that did, I found, applied the same principles to everything they did, day in, day out, with the most important one being they followed their passion. They weren’t the manufactured stars by the record companies or the acts created by the big conglomerates like the Disney machine. The ones who became true rock stars and have remained rock stars to this day were the ones who played the music they were most passionate about.

A good recent example is Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant. Now granted he probably doesn’t have trouble paying his mortgage these days, but the point here is he chose to follow his passion without a lot of support from fans.

After an extremely successful Led Zeppelin reunion show in November 2007, the rock world waited for what they thought was the inevitable announcement – that the world’s greatest rock band of all time was getting back together and would tour the universe and beyond. Fans were ready for that show and willing to pay any ticket price in any city just to see Robert Plant front ZedZeppelin again live on a stage.

Instead, Robert Plant announced to that world of fans that he just wasn’t interested in singing “Stairway to Heaven” across the globe again. He’d already done it, several times, and had no desire to do it again. Instead, he announced he was going to go into the studio and record with bluegrass super star Alison Krauss. As Plant said in an interview with CNN a few weeks ago, “We didn’t know if it would work at all, but we had to give it a try.”

The recording, Raising Sand, was produced by Fort Worth’s T Bone Burnett. It did work and it turned into a successful tour followed by five Grammys in February.

Plant chose to follow his passion, not knowing if it would work, but knowing that he needed to find something he truly enjoyed, to get the creative juices flowing and that yes, he might fall on his face and fail, but he had to try it anyway. That’s what passion does.

Passion makes you work harder, smarter and longer. Passion doesn’t ‘fall on its face’ but rather learns from what doesn’t work and keeps going. Passion gives you the energy and drive to keep trying until you succeed. Passion gets you out of bed early to take on another day.

Passion also turns on the other rock star principles I observed those many years ago – knowledge, networking and appreciation. Those four principles hold up the corners of a strong stage from which to perform each and every day whether in your professional or personal life.

Following your passion also makes you a happier, more satisfied person to be around. And let’s face it; we could use some happy, satisfied, successful people around us right now.

Dayna Steele is a professional speaker, author and entrepreneur. Steele was a longtime Houston area radio personality during the ‘album-rock’ era. She is the author of Rock to the Top: What I Learned about Success from the World’s Greatest Rock Stars. Her motivational keynote is “Find Your Rock Star – Build a Stage for Success.” She can be reached at dayna@daynasteele.com

Changing your tune may be your ‘Stairway to Heaven'

BY DAYNA STEELE

April 06, 2009

+ enlarge photo

Dayna Steele is a professional speaker, author and entrepreneur. Steele was a longtime Houston area radio personality during the ‘album-rock’ era. She is the author of Rock to the Top: What I Learned about Success from the World’s Greatest Rock Stars. Her motivational keynote is “Find Your Rock Star – Build a Stage for Success.” She can be reached at dayna@daynasteele.com

Dayna Steele was one of my favorite rock DJ's here in Houston when we used to have a real rock station. She is an equally talented businesswoman. Kudos to her for putting it all in perspective!

Although I do certainly hope she and everyone else is wrong about this.

led zeppelin are never getting back together, so many hugry fans on here are like rabid dogs, get over it. i'd love to see it just as much as anyone else, but their time has gone, and they are doig other things rather than starting something they havent done for almost 3 decades.

they are not getting back together, despite the inevitable tabloids saying they will every once in a while.

led zeppelin are never getting back together, so many hugry fans on here are like rabid dogs, get over it. i'd love to see it just as much as anyone else, but their time has gone, and they are doig other things rather than starting something they havent done for almost 3 decades.

they are not getting back together, despite the inevitable tabloids saying they will every once in a while.

At least three of them really wanted to do this. If ever within few years Robert changes his mind, for which I say why not, it is still possible for them to tour together.

Sure that it wont be now and in Australia or whatever rubbish is being writen somewhere... but from my point of view. Never say never, at least not int he way you said that.

Maybe because he said that.

And then again, people can always change their mind, he was also against the O2 show for a while.

So who knows. I'd say "never say never" is the right tactic.

Edited by glicine

First off, never say never. Second, anyone can say anything and it gets pronounced world wide with no confirmation. Third, it is not Led Zeppelin that will getting back together

First off, never say never. Second, anyone can say anything and it gets pronounced world wide with no confirmation. Third, it is not Led Zeppelin that will getting back together

I like watching the bootlegs of O2 as much as i like Led Zeppelin. For me, it was Led Zeppelin down there. And will be if they ever get together as Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham again...

I like the Never say never fraze cuz i like it as song by Mr. Big. It just somehow got to fit here:).

Maybe because he said that.

And then again, people can always change their mind, he was also against the O2 show for a while.

So who knows. I'd say "never say never" is the right tactic.

I never saw any reputable source for that (nothing more reliable than any of these tour rumours, anyway).

I think I should make an apology here for what I said about JPJ's words towards any future Zeppelin reunion.

It came from someone's post on another forum and since then spread quickly. Even if I personally don't question the poster's intention of posting that, I shouldn't have pushed it further.

There has been nothing in print about this and no reputable source from the press. So I can't give you any.

I apologize here sincerely. Let's wait for some news from the official side, hope we'll get it.

If I remember correctly--and by now I'm forgetting where I heard these various things--somebody said that he'd run into JPJ in a music shop or somewhere, and JPJ didn't have anything to say about Zeppelin except that any future "reunions" wouldn't include him? Obviously hearsay, but I don't think you need to apologize for reporting that somebody said that. Everyone can make up their own minds about how much they believe it. :)

If I remember correctly--and by now I'm forgetting where I heard these various things--somebody said that he'd run into JPJ in a music shop or somewhere, and JPJ didn't have anything to say about Zeppelin except that any future "reunions" wouldn't include him? Obviously hearsay, but I don't think you need to apologize for reporting that somebody said that. Everyone can make up their own minds about how much they believe it. :)

Yeah you remember correctly, except that the poster worked in a music shop and JPJ came in. Anyway, I hope too there would be some news coming from more credible or even the official sources.

As far as official statements reported by the press, John Paul Jones most certainly seemed interested in playing with Page and Jason Bonham at least as recently as a few months ago. That project was never meant to be "Led Zeppelin" anyway so no telling how he feels about it now or if his feelings have even changed any at all.