Zeps era of music

McSeven

What did Zep and their peers do to create timeless classic rock for their generation?

To me the best music in the world beside Classic Soul/Jazz is Classic Rock. 1967-77 everything in that time capsule is gold.

I am just curious to why that timeframe, is special in terms of the quality of music and Zep were one of the leaders of that movement.

I am 38 yrs old. I did not really grow up with that type of music. Yet I find myself gravitating towards that era, with Zep being the driving force that has me seeking out similar music.

Mc7

What did Zep and their peers do to create timeless classic rock for their generation?

To me the best music in the world beside Classic Soul/Jazz is Classic Rock. 1967-77 everything in that time capsule is gold.

I am just curious to why that timeframe, is special in terms of the quality of music and Zep were one of the leaders of that movement.

I am 38 yrs old. I did not really grow up with that type of music. Yet I find myself gravitating towards that era, with Zep being the driving force that has me seeking out similar music.

Mc7

Hi Mc7,

The answer to your question as far as i'm concerned is really quite simple, Led Zeppelin and other bands of that Ilk were never satisified with what they had accomplished, they were very self critical of their music and there limitations and were always concerned that they were coming up short musically. So they worked hard to improve and push the music to even greater heights.

Where as in other genres of music, people and bands did/do what was/is required of them, rather than push the bounderies and limits of their music and their talent to the fullest they sit back and wallow in self adulation and believe the hype others tell them and bestow on them. And become Frauds without even knowing it.

Thats why 60s-70s Rock music in general and Led Zeppelin in particular will always transend time and space and when the world ends their music will still be playing somewhere, either by a musical device or by other musicians reliving and performing the music of Led Zeppelin somewhere.

Regards, Danny

I'm 14 years old but can't stand listening to today's crap.

Everything from the 60s and 70s is for me pocket full of gold-and Zeppelin fills the half of that pocket.

We should all listen to those good old timeless classics.

21st century sucks.:thumbdown:

I'm 14 years old but can't stand listening to today's crap.

Everything from the 60s and 70s is for me pocket full of gold-and Zeppelin fills the half of that pocket.

We should all listen to those good old timeless classics.

21st century sucks.:thumbdown:

I'm much older than 14 and as much as I absolutely love the music from the 60s and 70s, I can't agree with you that today's music is crap. I have a ton of stuff that's from the last 10 years I think is fantastic - different but that's good in my opinion. I wouldn't want music to just keep rehashing stuff from the past.

Mc7

I'm 32 and also did not grow up in that era. The music of that time was new, fresh and exhilarating. Bands pushed the boundaries and succeeded.

I'm much older than 14 and as much as I absolutely love the music from the 60s and 70s, I can't agree with you that today's music is crap. I have a ton of stuff that's from the last 10 years I think is fantastic - different but that's good in my opinion. I wouldn't want music to just keep rehashing stuff from the past.

I agree. Not all of today's music is crap. I have 500+ music cds and 700+ GB of music on my hard drive, so I am exposed to all genres of music. While not all music today is crap, I am getting sick and tired of all this pre-fabricated/ reality tv music. (On a personal note...I am not a fan of a lot of music from 1980-1987)

They struck when the iron was hot. The right thing at the right moment. Page knew it, and the timing was perfect. It's like finding gold. They found the motherlode when it hadn't been played out.

As for the 21st Century, I'll agree with Nine that it's out there. But like a goldmine, you have to dig deeper, cause the nuggets are no longer just laying in riverbeds waiting to be picked up.

AND, the media has taken the power out of the club scene. Word of mouth now belongs to the internet. You have to know where to look. Word of mouth has a whole new dimension. But on a bright note, Rolling Stone trashed Led Zeppelin for years, so there's critics for ya!

Back in 1963 when I was ten years old I used to listen to my mum's record collection.

Elvis, Roy Orbison, Nat King Cole and Johnny Ray etc, when I learned to appreciate music.

It was only a year later that The Beatles exploded onto the music scene.

Shortly thereafter the British took over the world and it's no coincidence that both Jimmy and JPJ were involved in some of the most innovative music between 1963-68.

By the time Led Zeppelin II came around I was about 15 and the power coming out of those 12" Kriesler speakers literally blew me away.

Ever evolving they rarely missed the mark on record or live (though it would be safe to say that of the former rather than the latter).

What made Led Zeppelin perfect?

The imperfections!

Here we are 30 years after they disbanded still listening to the music and talking about them as if they are still around.

Long story short, they are as relevant now as they were back then and while there is good new music to be found it is all the result of what came before.

Doors were opened Reg. No question. Zep's door just led to a larger room. While the Beatles and the Stones had their Mystery Tours and Satanic Requests, Zeppelin just kicked the door in once and for all. ALL COULD BE HAD. It wasn't teasing or ambiguous. The sign read "We don't dabble". :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. Not all of today's music is crap. I have 500+ music cds and 700+ GB of music on my hard drive, so I am exposed to all genres of music. While not all music today is crap, I am getting sick and tired of all this pre-fabricated/ reality tv music. (On a personal note...I am not a fan of a lot of music from 1980-1987)

i no how u feal but dont wory music fallos a patern. some one cums up with sumthing original people are influenced by him evetualy that "style" get to the point ware its anoying so thare is a counter movment, thats the simpulset way 2 discribe it im just to lazy right now to explane it to the fulesy but i think u can get the idea

Mc7

I personally think that the majority of musicians in that time era where interested in the MUSIC. (Not that there are not new ones today that feel the same!!). Elvis was the first to break the barrier. Before that music was different (at least rock and roll). Music/Rock & Roll was new and our generation craved it! The clubs were full of great bands before they made it big.You had to wait for the release of an album. Concerts were a ritual. Most of the great bands were not media glorified!! If you look at a lot of the great ones, they wrote/played ballads, not just songs.

Most of us from that time saw many great bands live as we had so many in that time, but there was something magical about Zeppelin (especially live), there honestly was not another band like them. We were lucky to have had so many unbelievable musicians/poets in that time. And as you stated "everything in that time capsule is gold".

Elvis was the first to break the barrier.

I'd have to add Buddy Holly (who wrote his own songs) and Bill Haley to that list, particularly in regards to influence on British musicians and the transition from skiffle to beat music.

I'd have to add Buddy Holly (who wrote his own songs) and Bill Haley to that list, particularly in regards to influence on British musicians and the transition from skiffle to beat music.

Great Call...there were so many:-)

And what about blues? Rock'n'Roll? Beat? Music from '80 and from '90?

Musicians like led zeppelin and many other in that period had started playing with blues

I just can't catalogue and classify music, I love every kind of music which is my only friends, the one who is always with me and help me when I need it...

I'm not from the '70s and I would like to have seen led zeppelin in concert but that's life...

BTW music of 21st century is not so bad... And also in '60, '70, '80 and '90 there were a lot of crap and commercial music...

They struck when the iron was hot. The right thing at the right moment. Page knew it, and the timing was perfect. It's like finding gold. They found the motherlode when it hadn't been played out.

As for the 21st Century, I'll agree with Nine that it's out there. But like a goldmine, you have to dig deeper, cause the nuggets are no longer just laying in riverbeds waiting to be picked up.

AND, the media has taken the power out of the club scene. Word of mouth now belongs to the internet. You have to know where to look. Word of mouth has a whole new dimension. But on a bright note, Rolling Stone trashed Led Zeppelin for years, so there's critics for ya!

I don't agree! There's tons of FANTASTIC music out there that you don't have to search for at all.

This idea ( which I know YOU aren't pushing Ev) that music was only good in the 60s and 70s is I'm afraid a tired old cliche with no truth in it at all.

And what about blues? Rock'n'Roll? Beat? Music from '80 and from '90?

Musicians like led zeppelin and many other in that period had started playing with blues

I just can't catalogue and classify music, I love every kind of music which is my only friends, the one who is always with me and help me when I need it...

I'm not from the '70s and I would like to have seen led zeppelin in concert but that's life...

BTW music of 21st century is not so bad... And also in '60, '70, '80 and '90 there were a lot of crap and commercial music...

Quite right - there's lots of great music out there now and yes, there was a lot of crap back in the 60s and 70s too. I never bought into the school of thought that old rock is the best and nothing will ever be as good. What made that music good was it broke new ground and pushed the envelope must as a lot of music today is doing. It'd be pretty boring if every band sounded like Cream or Zep or Floyd etc.

This idea ( which I know YOU aren't pushing Ev) that music was only good in the 60s and 70s is I'm afraid a tired old cliche with no truth in it at all.

I think there is a lot of truth in that the BEST music was from that era.

In my opinion, rock and pop music has ALREADY reached it's zenith.

That doesn't mean there is nothing good around now, just that the PEAK has come and gone.

I think there is a lot of truth in that the BEST music was from that era.

In my opinion, rock and pop music has ALREADY reached it's zenith.

That doesn't mean there is nothing good around now, just that the PEAK has come and gone.

There's a big future ahead so how can you say music peaked 30 some years ago? Have to disagree with you on that :)

Anyone who says that any one band, or any one genre of music, is the "best", only says it because that's the music that they're a fan of.

Music is timeless, and genre-less too. And all of that same nostalgia about "back in the good old days", is just more daydreaming about a time which you were either in, and have fond memories of, or of a time that you weren't a part of, but you romanticize based on how different it was from the time you live in now.

What Zeppelin and the 70's had going for it to help the popularity (besides the music) was the after-effects of the recording industry becoming a global phenomenon. Thank postwar US economy, the rise of television, and the Beatles for that. So, yeah, like many, Zep got very very rich off of their music. But these factors are all still in place today, and look...rapper 50 Cent is infinitely more wealthy than Zeppelin ever was or will be, so it goes to show that wealth does not necessarily equal worth. And that each generation has it's highly influential, and highly successful stars.

And remember, most of those 60's and 70's stars were forever indebted to the music that THEY loved, and which THEY thought was "the best". Which for many of them was the rock and r&b of the 50's and the blues revival stuff of the 60's, which took influence from the original delta blues from the 20s-40's.

It's alllll relative. There is no such thing as "the best". You could say that Zeppelin was the "best 70's rock band". Sure. But you can't call them the "best band of all time", because there is no such thing. It's all about the context, and drawn from experience based on the lives all of us have lead.

Kids today who grew up in the 90's on Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, or Radiohead have much different ideas of what the "best music ever" is. And just as that generation gets labeled as having been "alternative", it's no different from the "cock rock" labels that people have since put on music like Zep's.

Pop music did not reach it's "peak" with the Beatles anymore than rock reached it's "peak" with Zeppelin. There were great bands before each, and there have been great bands after them.

^ No denying that. It's all in the beholder. Ask my father and it's all garbage to his ears. To him it's all about the three Bs: Beethoven, Bach and Brahms. The pop of its time.

All I can say is Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band in the history of my ears. In the sense that they touch all the right places in my brain. No band has moved me as they have, except the Grateful Dead. Perhaps I'm living in the past, or narrowing my vision, but it's my place of contentment. I don't think anyone else's tastes are lacking if they don't agree. I may not understand the attraction to say, Nirvana. Obviously it works for their fans. Happy for them. I certainly don't think they're dull minded for loving it. Whatever moves you, soak it up! I can only speak to what impassions me. That's why I'm on this forum and not some other one. :P

Some people hate Rush. They can't stand Geddy's voice or whatever. My girlfriend hates Rush. I love Rush. Phenomenal musicianship! But I'm not gonna stand on a corner and force-sell it to people. :beer:

I love Rush too. And Zeppelin is and always will be my favorite. There is something about some artitsts that have a unique voice that is kind of out of the "norm" like Neil Young or Dylan or Geddy. They dont have "beautiful" voices like Plant but they are effecive. For that matter, Jagger doesnt have the greatest voice either. Not smooth like a McCartney or Lennon but effective in the music he is doing. For me the guy I just cant like is Springsteen. Ill never get it.

Interesting you bring up Lennon, who stated that he did everything he could to make his voice sound as horrible as possible! Even going back to Twist and Shout, he really liked to shred his chords on a song.

There's a big future ahead so how can you say music peaked 30 some years ago? Have to disagree with you on that :)

Well because I've heard nothing these past 30 years that suggests it's going to. Talking about rock and pop (as we know them)here.

There might be some other format of unknown music just waiting to explode 150 years down the line though. :)

There's been a few good things in the 21st century, White Stripes, Queens of the Stoneage, Wolfmother, and some others, but I think the 2000's were pretty bad - and not just musically. The 90's however had a ton of great music, in the early years at least.

Archived