I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I just got back from the Hobbit in 3D. I love these series of films, and this one is my favorite of all of them….maybe I like the very first one better. The 3D was seamless, not distracting at all. …There’s a new character played by Evangeline Lilly……..she is drop dead gorgeous.

tv-spot-for-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of

'You just can't keep those Bailey's down, can you?'

I have watched it twice this year. Do not forget, its been said our Seneca Falls NY is the real Bedford Falls. Not far from my house at all. I happened to see Jimmy Stewart on that Johnny Carson show, as they are selling CD's of his old shows. Jimmy was great indeed and Donna Reed was hot. I wonder how the movies that open on Xmas day will be? I am interested in the one about Dickens.

Go see 'American Hustle'.

I get such a kick listening to Christian Bale! And seeing Worcester, Ma on the big screen was fun.

I agree. Have read and heard people complaining that it did not live up to the hype...but I loved it. After recently seeing the fantastic but emotionally draining "12 Years a Slave", I thought "American Hustle" was great fun. The acting, soundtrack, costuming, set - so good.

Did you recognize any locations in Worcester? The only thing I recognized was Boston's Anthony's Pier 4, maybe I'll notice more when I watch it again on DVD :-).

I agree. Have read and heard people complaining that it did not live up to the hype...but I loved it. After recently seeing the fantastic but emotionally draining "12 Years a Slave", I thought "American Hustle" was great fun. The acting, soundtrack, costuming, set - so good.

Did you recognize any locations in Worcester? The only thing I recognized was Boston's Anthony's Pier 4, maybe I'll notice more when I watch it again on DVD :-).

Hi jb126,

Not sure I understand your reference/comparison to '12 years a Slave', but, I haven't seen that movie yet.

Um, yah, I DEFINTELY recognize my home on the big screen.

I would like to see:

Nebraska

Well worth seeing redrum. Bruce Dern is excellent. Slightly reminiscent of David Lynch's "The Straight Story", where Richard Farnsworth had a late-career defining role.

Hi jb126,

Not sure I understand your reference/comparison to '12 years a Slave', but, I haven't seen that movie yet.

Um, yah, I DEFINTELY recognize my home on the big screen.

jb126 only meant that after seeing the emotionally draining film "12 Years a Slave", she was in the mood for something more enjoyable and fun to watch. Hence, "American Hustle" fit the bill.

Groovy clothes...groovy hair...groovy locations.

Saw "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug"...better than the first part, I guess, but it still feels unnecessary and greedy splitting the book into three movies. At least the first Hobbit movie ended at a natural break in the story. This second one just leaves you hanging...it's a bit unfair.

Smaug the dragon is definitely one of the better dragons you will see in a movie, but I cannot put this up with the best films of the year...a group that includes "Gravity", "12 Years a Slave", "Inside Llewyn Davis", "Dallas Buyers Club", "Nebraska", "Act of Killing", "Blue Is the Warmest Colour", "Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears", "We Are the Best", "Manuscripts Don't Burn", "Philomena".

"American Hustle", "Ron Burgundy 2", and "Wolf of Wall St." are films I hope to see this week.

Edited by Strider

The one thing I forgot when I saw Frozen last week was how powerful one of the numbers was, Let it go. My kids watch the Disney channel all the time and this morning is no different, it was just on……It reminds me how strong a song it was on its own and how well it fit within the scene. The melody line is KILLER for this type of movie, very strong. Here it is…..

Edited by zepscoda

OK.

I may take some flak for using this word, but I'm quite sincere.

Genius.

It's been a really long time since I laughed this hard throughout a movie.

Genius references the way Johnny Knoxville and his Jackass crew took what they do and upped their game.

I have to imagine there was NOT a lot of money ready to be thrown at them for a Jackass 4.

So, instead of throwing together a bunch of random hijinks like they did in the first three movies, they realized the various bits could all drive an actual plot and storyline.

To be completely honest, it's the reason I didn't see it until yesterday at the $2.49 Cinema.

I simply assumed it would be some wacky variation of midgets, nut-shots and other elements of their particular brand of violent slapstick, and it wasn't enough to pique my interest beyond possibly running across it on Netflix or Redbox.

Take my sincerest recommendation, and don't make the mistake I made of dismissing this as an alternatively-named Jackass 4 - it's so much more.

And it's guaranteed to make you laugh, and a lot more than a time or two.

The final Beauty Pageant scene literally had me in tears.

Did I have a sweet buzz on?
You betcha.

Is that the only reason it was funny?
No way.

This is a legitimately hilarious movie that I'll be the first to admit I screwed up on by having a preconceived notion of what it would be.

I was wrong.

Go see this if you want to laugh hard.

bad-grandpa-poster-jpg_124928.jpg?itok=t

hubby and i are taking young son to see the hobbit part two today.

hope my back holds up, it's a long one, i think ..... ?

It's 161 minutes, but doesn't seem that long.....although I usually take something for my back . I saw Anchor Man 2 this afternoon and took a flexerill so my back wouldn't act up.

What did you guys think of the Hobbit?

It's 161 minutes, but doesn't seem that long.....although I usually take something for my back . I saw Anchor Man 2 this afternoon and took a flexerill so my back wouldn't act up.

well, my back went ok, yay! i loved both 1 and 2 so far. when is 3 coming out ?

^^^

Next Christmas, stz.

It passed by quicker than Part One of "The Hobbit"...but the book is still better. The movies suffer (among many things) from video-game disease.

Dragged Mr Planted to see "Saving Mr Banks" last night. Go see it! I know, it's a Disney movie, but really, the story is great and Emma Thompson is terrific!

And do yourself a favor and stay through the credits...you'll be glad you did. ;-)

^^^

Next Christmas, stz.

It passed by quicker than Part One of "The Hobbit"...but the book is still better. The movies suffer (among many things) from video-game disease.

oh, i thought it may be next year .... :( i am ashamed to say i have never read the Hobbit, or the LOR series ....

i thought it was great. the fighting scenes were so full-on!

we saw it in extreme screen and sound, and 3D .... awesome. i felt like i was actually walking through the inn ( the very first scene )

saw the Hobbit yesterday. Good movie, but way too long. Also, I hated the ending. Ruined the movie for me.

didn't you realise it was going to end in that fashion?

oh, i thought it may be next year .... :( i am ashamed to say i have never read the Hobbit, or the LOR series ....

i thought it was great. the fighting scenes were so full-on!

we saw it in extreme screen and sound, and 3D .... awesome. i felt like i was actually walking through the inn ( the very first scene )

didn't you realise it was going to end in that fashion?

We saw it in 3D on a very large screen too, it's the best way too see it. I felt like I was sitting there in the Prancing Pony.

You're right about the way it ended, that's what I was expecting also. Really, we are only 2/3 into a 6+ hour film.

Edited by zepscoda

We saw Walter Mitty on Christmas Day, I loved it!

It is a sweet, gentle, "feel good" movie with a lot of understated performances!

I find when people are unconsciously vocal during a movie it can be a pretty good indicator that the film is reaching its audience and people were laughing out loud , and groaning when the horrible boss (Adam Scott) would bully Walter through-out the movie!

Ben Stiller directs and stars.

It is very PG and I know many people are going to say it was cliched, but it made me feel better for seeing it!

Adrian Martinez has a very sweet role as Walter's assistant!

The "Benjamin Button" scene will make you drop your popcorn! It is hilarious!

And ....the sound-track is amazing!

Edited by Bayougal65

Dragged Mr Planted to see "Saving Mr Banks" last night. Go see it! I know, it's a Disney movie, but really, the story is great and Emma Thompson is terrific!

And do yourself a favor and stay through the credits...you'll be glad you did. ;-)

My wife and her friends went to see that last week and loved it.