Stairway to Heavan Overrated?

R Y A N

IMHO neither. I just wished stations would have played more of their other ballads.

Maybe my brain has a chemical that makes me addicted to the music, but it's a great addiction!! I think STH is one of the most magnificent songs. I feel in love with the first time I heard it and I am still in awe when listening to it. :yesnod:

It may have been overplayed and the number one song on all the top 500 rock song lists, but I never got burned out on it because I'd only listen to it when I wanted. Fortunately there were plenty of other radio stations and formats to listen to if I found myself barraged by it's overplaying.

Over rating can only be considered in one's own mind. I don't consider it over rated, whether or not I agree with all those top 500 playlists. The radio stations may have over rated it by it's constant inclusion at the top spot, but that's their bag. I can't remember the last time I heard it on the radio. Then again, I rarely listen to radio. I play CD's.

It was overplayed on the radio so much, they finally gave it a rest - a LONG rest. Only recently have I heard it starting to get some airplay again. My question has always been: If they can stop playing a great song like Stairway to Heaven, then why do they not give a similar rest to Hotel California? They've been playing that on the radio every freakin' day for thirty years!! The 'Stairway' rule should apply. GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!

It may have been overplayed and the number one song on all the top 500 rock song lists, but I never got burned out on it because I'd only listen to it when I wanted. Fortunately there were plenty of other radio stations and formats to listen to if I found myself barraged by it's overplaying.

Over rating can only be considered in one's own mind. I don't consider it over rated, whether or not I agree with all those top 500 playlists. The radio stations may have over rated it by it's constant inclusion at the top spot, but that's their bag. I can't remember the last time I heard it on the radio. Then again, I rarely listen to radio. I play CD's.

Well now, we now have a good reply to this ever (or never) ending story of why this group was so popular but didn't have that many top ten hit's in there catalog.

Thank you LarryD for opening your eyes (and hopefully others) about why we as humans see something's so important and also how some thing that we hear (music) can or can not get old or un-fresh to our brain's. B)

IMHO neither. I just wished stations would have played more of their other ballads.

Maybe my brain has a chemical that makes me addicted to the music, but it's a great addiction!! I think STH is one of the most magnificent songs. I feel in love with the first time I heard it and I am still in awe when listening to it. :yesnod:

i feel the same way about it :D

I couldn't agree more. I enjoy the song every time i hear it. I sing along and air guitar with it. I do which that songs like "The Rain Song" (my favorite Zeppelin ballad) would get on the radio more, or even "I'm Gonna Crawl", but as long as Zeppelin is gracing the radio waves, i guess we can't have too much to complain about. :D

Well, if it's "overplayed", that's because we've been voting for it for decades. Stations go by what the listeners want to hear. Can't blame the song. If it's "overrated", who the fuck is doing the rating, and why do we give a shit what they think? Personally, I prefer Since I've Been Loving You. But what would I know, I'm just a Zeppelin fan. :beer:

Well, if it's "overplayed", that's because we've been voting for it for decades. Stations go by what the listeners want to hear. Can't blame the song. If it's "overrated", who the fuck is doing the rating, and why do we give a shit what they think? Personally, I prefer Since I've Been Loving You. But what would I know, I'm just a Zeppelin fan. :beer:

Evster- missed your responses!! Could not agree more on the STH comment. Glad your back :D

Yea, what do we Zeppelin fans know!!! :hysterical:

Just read an article about Stairway, and found this part especially funny.

“The song became successful by accident,” says Charles R. Cross, author of the recent “Led Zeppelin: Shadows Taller Than Our Souls.” “The reason ‘Stairway’ took off was because it was a long song. I literally had 100 deejays swear to me that they only played the song because they needed a long break to go and smoke a cigarette. If it had been a minute shorter, you couldn’t have smoked a full cigarette. If it had been a minute longer, it would have been too long. It was the perfect length.”

the whole article

I think it is, only in the fact that for most people, it's the only song they know from Led Zeppelin. Kashmir kinda fits that same bill.

For me, Kashmir and Stairway are the two most over-hyped songs. That's not saying they aren't good.., they've just got better songs IMO.

I don't listen to as much radio as I did a few years ago but, "Kashmir" and "Rock and Roll" are played more (now a day's) than "Stairway To Heaven" if you ask me, "Black Dog" is in heavy rotation too. But "Stairway To Heaven" is like, as already been said by glicine, a long song and was popular with DJ's to take a break for the sake (of what ever). B)

I think it is, only in the fact that for most people, it's the only song they know from Led Zeppelin. Kashmir kinda fits that same bill.

Surely everyone knows Whole Lotta Love too. Who DOESN'T know that riff????????

IMO, both. I don't think it's the best song they ever did, it's not even the best song on the album! I think overrated implies that the work is not as good as critics/fans say it is, and it has taken on a life of its own, either through popular culture or otherwise. To me, the song fits the bill here. STH has become this anthemic piece and people have latched on to it in ways they more than likely haven't with other songs, and that's great - people will feel however they want about any given piece of music.

As for being overplayed, you could say the same about a lot of "classic rock" radio staples, such as Hotel California, Freebird, Money, Do You Feel Like I Do [basically anything by Peter Frampton] and Layla. They're all great songs don't get me wrong, but rock radio has driven them into the ground by playing them over and over and over and over again. I get bored of them easily because the joy and surprise of hearing them on the radio is completely gone.

Personally,i believe that good music (for me only rock,and blues) can speak for it's self.I don't believe that something overrated should be bad.I don't care because stairway is overrated,besides it's construction,and melody,and of course the greatest solo of all time,made it my favourite song!

• 2 weeks later...

The classic rock station here in Los Angeles had a top 1000 rock songs of all time for the Thanksgiving weekend which just came to the number one climax a few minutes ago. As voted by the listeners, Stairway to Heaven came in at NUMBER ONE. Overrated or not, it is by far the favorite rock song.

Kashmir came in at number 5 and Whole Lotta Love was 34. I'm sure there were others in the 1000 but I was only listening to the radio at times when those came on.

KLOS? I've been so busy, I haven't had a chance to listen to anything! It doesn't surprize me though, it has every year since I was 12! :lol:

Yep, KLOS. My favorite station. Been listening to it for years. I used to listen to KMET too when it was around way back when. Listen to KLOS at work. Just wish they didn't have Jim Ladd on so late at night now. I like his show but it's past my bedtime during the week and they don't have him on on Friday nights anymore. He would do his theme show then but now it's on Sunday.

BTW Evster, like your signature.

Yep, KLOS. My favorite station. Been listening to it for years. I used to listen to KMET too when it was around way back when. Listen to KLOS at work. Just wish they didn't have Jim Ladd on so late at night now. I like his show but it's past my bedtime during the week and they don't have him on on Friday nights anymore. He would do his theme show then but now it's on Sunday.

BTW Evster, like your signature.

Thanks!

Yeah, I grew up on KMET. The mighty meat you just can't beat, KMET, tweedledy! :D

Ladd is my ultimate DJ. Miss the Burner Mary Turner! Doctor Demento followed by Harrison's Mike. It was the routine. Who gave a shit what was hot on television? Mom and dad were watching Fantasy Island and WKRP! They had NO IDEA! :lol:

Archived