Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

I think this pic could be from another show besides Pontiac or Seattle 1977. This pic was in one of my old Zoso fanzine's and it didn't list what show it was from. But in all the pics I have seen from Pontiac and Seattle I have never seen the Opryland productions sticker on the side of a camera. What do ya'll think?

Pageinpontiac1-1.jpg

It was taken at the Pontiac Silverdome on April 30, 1977. Here's a better scan and another shot from the same show:

1977.jpg

19770430.jpg

See that bearded video tech behind Jones? You can see that he's feeding the cables to the guy onstage with the camera.

Look again at the original photo with the Opryland camera, and you can see the same guy in the same spot, in the background, just left of Bonham's kick drum. It may be too dark to see the details of his face, but the outline of his beard and the white sleeves and collar on his t-shirt stand out just enough to make the match.

I know this is 71', any Idea where?

Caption seems to be wrong as it's a German photographer and Led Zeppelin didn't play Germany in 1971. Seems to me it was taken backstage at Deutschlandhalle in Berlin on July 17, 1970. The photographer was working for Bravo (a German music magazine) at the time. Bravo usually sent their staff photographers to cover Berlin concerts. Robert wore that same shirt onstage in Berlin, Franfurt and Essen.

1886.jpg

Thanks!, He wore that shirt at bath 1970 too, so it seems 1970 is correct over 71.

Caption seems to be wrong as it's a German photographer and Led Zeppelin didn't play Germany in 1971. Seems to me it was taken backstage at Deutschlandhalle in Berlin on July 17, 1970. The photographer was working for Bravo (a German music magazine) at the time. Bravo usually sent their staff photographers to cover Berlin concerts. Robert wore that same shirt onstage in Berlin, Franfurt and Essen.

1886.jpg

I love that above deutsch foto, and I found it (and the others from that set) here:

http://ledzeppelin.a...m/pictures.html

By Mr. Bernd Kröppel. :)

I'm not sure if we're still talking about Mr. Heilemann's photos or not? If so, I seem to recall that he took some Zep photos over in England, so he traveled a bit. Y'know the video of the May 25th Earl's Court performance? There's a part where Planty says something about a German photographer "who doesn't even say 'hello,'" whilst gesturing into the audience (with a big ol' smile, of course.) I've always figured he was referring to Bubi, cuz I swear Mr. Heilemann took some pics at Earls Court....

...*checking*...

Okay, yeah, I found this pic in Q, credited to Heilemann:

2nb85f5.jpg

And I guess I thought it looked like Earl's Court.

But magazines aren't always right, so... grain of salt!

Can't remember exactly what we're talking about, but I hope this helps.

EDIT: I remember my point. Not all of Mr. Heilemann's shots may be from Germany. There we go!

Edited by Nicey

that does not look like 73 at all, i'm pretty sure that is from 75

I love that above deutsch foto, and I found it (and the others from that set) here:

I'm not sure if we're still talking about Mr. Heilemann's photos or not? If so, I seem to recall that he took some Zep photos over in England, so he traveled a bit. Y'know the video of the May 25th Earl's Court performance? There's a part where Planty says something about a German photographer "who doesn't even say 'hello,'" whilst gesturing into the audience (with a big ol' smile, of course.) I've always figured he was referring to Bubi, cuz I swear Mr. Heilemann took some pics at Earls Court....

...*checking*...

2nb85f5.jpg

EDIT: I remember my point. Not all of Mr. Heilemann's shots may be from Germany. There we go!

...*checking*...

2nb85f5.jpg

Either the Warmups for 1975, or late January - Early February 1975.

what in the world is going on here?

At the beginning of March 1973, Led Zeppelin arrived in Scandinavia at the start of a European tour. What must have been one of the most bizarre events involving the band (even by their standards!) was a reception held at Stockholm's leading sex club, the Chat Noir.

It is believed that it was Peter Grant who suggested to Metronome Records, the Swedish company representing Atlantic, that this be staged at such a venue. During the proceedings, which included a naked couple performing on a small stage, the band was presented with a number of gold album sales awards.

Are these from the old mill house around 81?

Yes. Definitely photographed whilst standing in Mill Lane right in front of the gated entrance to Old Mill House. I believe they were taken August 31, 1981 when five Americans returned for a third time that week attempting to meet. Jimmy invited them in for further conversation past midnight.

cool, i had a feeling that was the gate on mill lane. I think the picture of jimmy playing snooker is a year or so later around 83 or 84 , 85 maybe, his hair looks shorter as it was around the arms concert and with roy harper and the firm.