Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Same night(s) - after one of the LA ARMS concerts - I'm guessing backstage, before the club-hopping. Is this another photo by Steve Granitz? Who is the woman between Phil and Jimmy?

RCPCJPARMS-1.jpg

By all accounts In Dallas and San Francisco a nervous Jimmy did not venture out and essentially kept to himself, seldom socializing with the other musicians but on Sun, Dec 4 1984 he checked into the Sunset Marquis (registering as "James McGregor") upon arrival from San Francisco and placed a call to Richard Cole (residing in Hollywood). They reunited at the Rainbow Bar & Grill prior to the first of two LA Forum gigs the next night and Richard was in attendance for the show. Given Phil Carlo is wearing his ARMS tour pass this was probably taken backstage at one of the two LA Forum concers as you suggested. Here's a shot of Richard & Jimmy seated at the Rainbow allegedly taken after one of those same two LA Forum concerts, and almost certainly on the same date as your photo:

198312.jpg

As you can see Jimmy is wearing his "butterfly jacket" whereas in first set of shots he's wearing the earth-tone coat. The more I think about it I believe these were taken before & after the first LA Forum gig (12/5) and all the earth-tone shots at the Rainbow immediately after the second LA Forum gig (12/6) but since I'm going from memory at the moment it's best to call such speculation unconfirmed.

I do have a shot of Jimmy leaving a hotel wearing the earth-tone jacket and clutching what seem to be posters or lithographs of some sort. I believe I confirmed the hotel to be the Sunset Marquis but again I'm going from memory. I'll get that photo posted this weekend provided I can find it.

Edited by SteveAJones

Same night(s) - after one of the LA ARMS concerts - I'm guessing backstage, before the club-hopping. Is this another photo by Steve Granitz? Who is the woman between Phil and Jimmy?

RCPCJPARMS-1.jpg

Woman? Isn't it John Waite? Actually I think Michael DesB! And Jimmy's scarf is white on the other pics, if that means anything.

Edited by Knebby

By all accounts In Dallas and San Francisco a nervous Jimmy did not venture out and essentially kept to himself, seldom socializing with the other musicians but on Sun, Dec 4 1984 he checked into the Sunset Marquis (registering as "James McGregor") upon arrival from San Francisco and placed a call to Richard Cole (residing in Hollywood). They reunited at the Rainbow Bar & Grill prior to the first of two LA Forum gigs the next night and Richard was in attendance for the show. Given Phil Carlo is wearing his ARMS tour pass this was probably taken backstage at one of the two LA Forum concers as you suggested. Here's a shot of Richard & Jimmy seated at the Rainbow allegedly taken after one of those same two LA Forum concerts, and almost certainly on the same date as your photo:

As you can see Jimmy is wearing his "butterfly jacket" whereas in first set of shots he's wearing the earth-tone coat. The more I think about it I believe these were taken before & after the first LA Forum gig (12/5) and all the earth-tone shots at the Rainbow immediately after the second LA Forum gig (12/6) but since I'm going from memory at the moment it's best to call such speculation unconfirmed.

I do have a shot of Jimmy leaving a hotel wearing the earth-tone jacket and clutching what seem to be posters or lithographs of some sort. I believe I confirmed the hotel to be the Sunset Marquis but again I'm going from memory. I'll get that photo posted this weekend provided I can find it.

Woman? Isn't it John Waite? Actually I think Michael DesB! And Jimmy's scarf is white on the other pics, if that means anything.

I was going to say it looks to be him too.

I don't know anything about the outfits, the hotel, the exact dates and times, but I do know that these photos are from the LA ARMS concerts days, late 1983, early December.

I'm sorry if I offended or offend anyone here by suggesting that was a woman in the photo but I'm bad with faces (thought it might have been a female musician)...and I've always thought that Michael Des B. was a somewhat effeminate-looking man. Even now, knowing it's him in that photo, I still see a girlish sort of face.

post-1879-0-87773500-1321219133.jpeg

This appears to be an outtake from TSRTS....when Robert is emerging from the cave during Rain Song.

But its too dark and too odd to say for sure.

Take another look, Frank. The sun is streaming in through the window behind him. The window matches those at Raglan Castle and the presence of a tall-standing candlestick holder (barely visible on the far right) also suggests it was taken within the interior of Raglan Castle.

:blush: Ooops! Yes it is the poppy suit. For whatever reason, the other photo made the jacket look slightly different to me. Actually I know the reason. This is a perfect example of why I need to wear my glasses. :bagoverhead:

Thanks Stairway. :wave:

Aha! It happens to the best of us, I thought you meant Robert or something at first

I will reconfirm just to be sure but aside from some of them having been taken by Steve Granitz, an L.A.-based photog, and the jacket matching the one worn by Jimmy's on the airplane wing at LAX I have several other shots from this night and as I recall the interior matches that of the Rainbow Bar & Grill. It also seems to me the automobile behind them probably would not face the way it does - to the right - alongside a UK curb, for that would put it against the flow of traffic.

Here are two others from the same night. It seems to me he's either entering/leaving The Forum or more likely The Rainbow Bar & Grill while on the December 1983 ARMS tour. Then again, it could be San Francisco.

198312UnknownDDUnknowndetails2.jpg

Photo courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

198312UnknownDDUnknowndetails1.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I obtained this photo from a private collector in Los Angeles about 16 years. He thought it might have been taken outside the Rainbow in March 1985 when The Firm was on tour. However, I don't think there were ever any crooked trees in front of The Rainbow, just a tall straight palm tree. The lamp post matches those found in Southern California. I suspect this picture may have been taken as Jimmy was leaving the after-show party Atlantic hosted for the band following their performance at the Pacific Amphitheatre in Costa Mesa on March 16, 1985. However, unconfirmed.

UnknownYYDDMMUnknowndetails1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...