I'm In A Rock 'n' Roll Band!

Mr E

New series starting tonight on BBC 2 at 21:40. It's a programme that focuses on each role of a rock band and tonight it's about the lead singer, next week the guitarist, then the drummer etc, etc. You also get to vote for who you think is the greatest HERE . Then they'll collect the results and announce the ultimate fantasy rock band. Robert Plant is included in the list so get voting! Hopefully Jimmy, Bonzo and Jonesy will also be included in the coming episodes.

What is the DNA of a great rock 'n' roll band?

The series breaks this mythical beast down into its constituent parts: singer, guitarist, drummer as well as the shadowy 'other one', whose face we don't quite know but without whom the magic wouldn't happen. The evidence is examined closely in forensic studies of what makes these rock 'n' roll types tick, starting with the lead singer. Often he's the leader, sometimes the dictator, benign or otherwise. His voice is his instrument and out front there's nowhere to hide. He hires. He fires. And when it all goes wrong and the backlash begins, he will get the blame.

An eye-opening romp through great war stories from the rock 'n' roll frontline explores the myriad ways of tackling the daunting role of front person. From the seemingly fearless, like taboo-shattering Jim Morrison of The Doors, to the mesmerically fragile, like Joy Division's ill-starred Ian Curtis. From Mick Jagger, who drew up the blueprint of front man as athlete, lothario and chairman of the board to the swaggeringly cantankerous yet strangely static force of nature that is Liam Gallagher.

A starry cast list, including Iggy Pop, Roger Daltrey and Dave Grohl, considers how and why they do what they do on and off stage. Sting speculates where necessary confidence ends and arrogance begins, while Muse's Matt Bellamy wonders whether a tendency towards the diva-ish is an inevitable by-product of the pressures of being the band's focal point. Shaun Ryder of Happy Mondays recalls harsh lessons learnt from underestimating the tabloids, and Siouxsie Sioux revels in the moments when it all goes right.

• 2 weeks later...

First two episodes were disappointing in terms of Zep content, they didn't have anything on Robert plant and Jimmy Page. This weeks episode though had a really great section on John Bonham and some good stuff about Jason Bonham too. Worth checking out on iplayer for those who can access it.

First two episodes were disappointing in terms of Zep content, they didn't have anything on Robert plant and Jimmy Page. This weeks episode though had a really great section on John Bonham and some good stuff about Jason Bonham too. Worth checking out on iplayer for those who can access it.

I agree, I thought the guitar one was especially disapointing. In no disrespect to them, I don't think guitarists from bands like Bon Jovi contributited that much to music. They could have done a bit on Jimmy (a longer bit on the other Jimi), Peter Green; quoting from B.B King: "he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats", maybe even Van Halen, Paul Kossoff, David Gilmour etc. I know its allways going to be up to debate, but does anybody agree with me? :huh:

I agree, I thought the guitar one was especially disapointing. In no disrespect to them, I don't think guitarists from bands like Bon Jovi contributited that much to music.

I've been amazed at the amount of time given over to the awful Bon Jovi! The first 2 episodes seemed like one big ad for them!

Nice to see some clips from the O2 as well!

Shame on the BBC they always seem to give Led Zeppelin and it's members either very little or no recognition....... i wonder why? Maybe it's because they were not a chart band in the Uk, and the BBC think's nobody has heard of them.

Sting speculates where necessary confidence ends and arrogance begins...

He crossed that line a loooong time ago.

Looks like a good series; I've seen some clips from the guitar episode featuring Johnny Marr.

He crossed that line a loooong time ago.

Looks like a good series; I've seen some clips from the guitar episode featuring Johnny Marr.

unfortunately I can't follow the BBC program and then I can't evaluate it , but I endorse what you say about Sting with all my heart!!!!! I was at The Police Reunion a few years ago and I can't forget (although there were many controversies and conflicts with Copeland) coldness, that annoying air of superiority and the complete lack of any interaction with the public ... in short .. Sting Down!! Although I was a big fan of The Police when I was "young"... .. I tried to vote PLANT (of course) on the BBC site but the operation is not allowed from here... Ok I'll call a cousin who lives in London and he will vote in my place smile.gif !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Its the final show on BBC2 tonight at 10pm. They have just mentioned on Radio 2 that the shortlist of 3 for the top singer is Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain and Robert Plant. They didnt mention the other categories.

It's too late to check out the site, so I have to ask: was JPP on the bassist's list?

Thanks!

The three final nominated 'best band' are Zep, Beatles and Queen.

Other catogories choices havn't been announced as of yet...

Page, Hendrix and Slash are the three nominated guitarists...

Some Zep fan's in for a shock when their phone bill arrives! Not sure how they won. Thought the Beatles would (and should) win and I say this despite Zep being by favourite band ever.

Well, Led Zeppelin voted as top band and top drummer - where I am in the UK, there's been a roaring thunderstorm all night. It's as if Bonzo (with a little help from Moony, of course) has been having a celebration for the last 2 1/2 hours. :)

Some Zep fan's in for a shock when their phone bill arrives! Not sure how they won. Thought the Beatles would (and should) win and I say this despite Zep being by favourite band ever.

unless im mistaken zep had a member in each of the gategories, and won two of them,

unless im mistaken zep had a member in each of the gategories, and won two of them,

Zep were filled with musicians. For me they're the most amazing band ever. But that doesn't change the fact that the Beatles had a more profound influence, not only on the 60s, but on the world. Lets face it, the Stones as muscians are better than the Beatles. But in Lenon and Macartney they have one of the best writing teams of all time. In every position Zep were better but despite this what the Beatles achieved musically is such an amazing legacy especially for a 'boy band' (which is what they really started out as). Just because Zep is my favourite band doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the achievements of the Beatles. I'm just surprised that Zep won. Most people I know have at least one Beatles album and like their stuff. Far fewer people I know have a Zep album (and it's always IV).

Just want to say what a complete tit Mark Ronson was, didn't talk about Page's

ablity at all and seemed to not have much of a clue tbh.

Al Murray was great though, and i enjoyed Root Led Zep too...

Bit of a shock Zep beating The Beatles though..

Please, help me to have the big picture (when I enter the site, I can't find the poll results):

So,

Nominated for each category :

-Band: Zep ....

-Singer: Plant ...

-Guitarist: Page ...

-Drummer: Bonham ...

-Bassist: (JPJ??)

Reaching top 3:

-Band: Zep ; ?? ; ??

-Singer: Plant ; Mercury ; Cobain(ha)

-Guitarist: Page ; Slash ; Hendrix

-Drummer: Bonham ; ?? ; ??