Favorite Album and WHY?

Bonzo2000

It is impossible to pick my favorite Zeppelin album because they are all so important in their own right. However, I usually feel that the third album would be my "desert island disc" because it has their best song on it and their most beautiful musicianship. Houses as an album has a flow that is beyond compare and it probably is my favorite half of the time. What do you think?

Mothership... it's the first Zep album I got (as a "present" for my dad, but he never got to listen to it cos I stole it :rolleyes:) and I fell in love with all the songs... and now I'm a Zep Head :D

btw, welcome to the forums :wave:

Mothership was for me too the gate to Zep (I mean, I knew about them and STH, but that album made me craving for more)

Now, my favorite is Presence (although I dislike HOFN very much)..But the other songs...bliss and magic.

Mothership... it's the first Zep album I got (as a "present" for my dad, but he never got to listen to it cos I stole it rolleyes.gif) and I fell in love with all the songs... and now I'm a Zep Head biggrin.gif

btw, welcome to the forums wave.gif

Isn't Mothership a greatest hits kind of thing?

Led Zeppelin II

I enjoy every single song on it. Every member of the band is playing extrodinary, Jimmy Page has fluid playing and monster riffs being churned out in ever song. JPJ's bass is funky, it sure isn't begginer playing, he adds flavour to over half of the songs on the album. Plants vocals are flawless in my opinion, he performs with raw emotion on every song and it sounds great. And of course, Bonham rips it up in every song, he keeps it all together.

Not counting greatest hits albums, I choose Physical Graffiti. I feel that it has too many amazing songs to not put it at number 1. While the fourth album and Houses of the Holy may be more consistent, PG's first disc alone has more of my all time favorite Zep songs than any other album. Plus the fact that it's a double album means it has a ton a variety. Once Custard Pie kicks in, I gotta listen to the whole album. My favorite songs from the album are Kashmir, Trampled Under Foot, The Rover, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, In The Light, Night Flight, Houses of the Holy, and Custard Pie (yeah, I got 9 favorite tracks). Probably my favorite album ever.

Physical Graffiti. Zep IV had been my favorite, but I got so sick and tired of how overplayed it is, I just shelved it it and haven't listened to it in a long, long time. I prefer their underrated stuff more nowadays.....stuff people forget because it's not commercial or radio doesn't beat it to death. Aside from Kashmir, I've never heard anything off PG on the radio, which is why I like it so much.

Not counting greatest hits albums, I choose Physical Graffiti. I feel that it has too many amazing songs to not put it at number 1. While the fourth album and Houses of the Holy may be more consistent, PG's first disc alone has more of my all time favorite Zep songs than any other album. Plus the fact that it's a double album means it has a ton a variety. Once Custard Pie kicks in, I gotta listen to the whole album. My favorite songs from the album are Kashmir, Trampled Under Foot, The Rover, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, In The Light, Night Flight, Houses of the Holy, and Custard Pie (yeah, I got 9 favorite tracks). Probably my favorite album ever.

I'd have to go with Physical Graffiti as well. The Rover, Kashmir, In My Time Dying, Ten Years Gone would make it into my top ten favourite Zeppelin tracks, so this has to be my favourite album.

Mothership... it's the first Zep album I got (as a "present" for my dad, but he never got to listen to it cos I stole it rolleyes.gif) and I fell in love with all the songs... and now I'm a Zep Head biggrin.gif

btw, welcome to the forums wave.gif

Thanks for the welcome, lots of cool ideas from the young, old and older! I must have missed Mothership...Wasn't is a collection or something else altogether? Also, If you are looking for a sweet collection, check out the BBC Sessions, the early stuff is mindblowing!!wizard.gif

Yes, it is a greatest hits album. But it was the gate opener for me and others.

Don't get me wrong...notin' against greatest hits albums. I know lots of people hate them, and many a band has their "greatest" stuff elsewhere, but they are a good way to get the feel of a band. Its just that I wasn't a consumer of the Zep collections because I had the albums before the collections were released.

Anything that intros a brain to the magesty of the Migthty Led Zeppelin is way coo wit me!! Rock on stereo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Physical Graffiti. This album is truly a work of art! Simply Brilliant! Led Zep can be seen experimenting with so many different styles and it's got "In My Time of Dying", "Kashmir", "The Rover", "Trampled Under Foot", "Ten Years Gone", "In The Light"..... what's not to love about this album?....its just 1.3 hours of the most beautiful music ever created!

Some people have called it "self-indulgent" but to me, its just pure bliss! To me, it's even better than IV! :D

Right now, it's PG, but if you had asked me two months ago, I would have said LZ III. Six months ago it was probably HTWWW. It's constantly changing! I've been listening to PG a lot lately and I just love how it flows.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Physical Graffiti - it has alot songs in the album it's a double disc album Kashmir, In the light, The Rover, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again, etc. that album is just too perfect

2. House of the Holy - to be honest this HOTH is way better LZ3 and LZ4

3. I say the first two self titled albums

Well my fave album is the first one-coz it's bluesy and I love the blues-I think as they are new on the scene they raw and fresh and they sound it, and it's just so...powerful really. :P

I probably listen to PG the most as several of my most favourite LZ tracks are on the album. But the overall quality lags behind III and IV in my opinion as a couple of the tracks on side two are mediocre in my view. I will give the nod to IV as I like every song on the album, where as III does feature one poor song - Hat's off to Roy Harper.

It's very hard to pick one....just one...but I think it should be Physical Graffiti, maybe it's because it was the first one I bought, but is also because all the songs make me fell in a strange land (not in a crazy way =D) :D

It's very hard to pick one....just one...but I think it should be Physical Graffiti, maybe it's because it was the first one I bought, but is also because all the songs make me fell in a strange land (not in a crazy way =D) :D

...Hello Brazil....same feelings for Presence for me...I am always sentimental to this album, because this is my first album with Zep...like you, it made me fall in love with the new world of West around me, we had immigrated to Canada from India, barely a teenager at the time, few years earlier...I remember the first song that I heard on the Radio was No Body's Fault But Mine...the opening chords of this songs are Eastern influenced and when I heard it, I was trying to understand stand why they would incorporate such sound, I was too young and naive...well, the rest is history with Zep... :)

P.S..I had heard of Zep mid-late '75 but really when I went to high school is when I really discovered them...First song was Stairway To Heaven..

• 2 years later...

Archived