Bonham Named Greatest Drummer

Not sure if this is old but just pretty interesting. Other than the top 3 the list is pretty bad. Except for Dave Grohl maybe. But definitely not that high.

Led Zeppelin's legendary sticksman tops Rolling Stone reader's poll.

The reader poll, conducted last week, saw Bonzo top the chart ahead of The Who's Keith Moon and Rush's Neil Peart.

Other drummers to appear in the top ten include Cream's Ginger Baker and Santana's Michael Shrieve.

Here's the top ten:

01. John Bonham

02. Keith Moon

03. Neil Peart

04. Dave Grohl

05. Ringo Starr

06. Buddy Rich

07. Stewart Copeland

08. ?uestlove

09. Ginger Baker

10. Michael Shrieve

Led Zeppelin band mate John Paul Jones said that Bonham’s talent on the drums was easy to spot, and that from the first time he watched him play he was convinced about his skills.

"Thirty seconds," he claimed. "The first thing we ever played together, the first time we met was in a rehearsal studio in Lyle street in London and we played a thing called A Train Kept a Rolling, which was a Yardbirds song, and as soon as we started, by about the fourth bar I realised this is going to be great, this is a great drummer."

Jones also praised Bonham’s style. "He plays behind the beat or in front of the beat depending on what it needs, what the beat needs, most drummers can only play on the beat if they’re lucky, but he could move it around which takes a good bit of skill and musical awareness to know that it needs to be moved around," he added.

Bonham has continued to be a major influence for a number of successful artists, with rock drummers such as Tony Thompson, Tommy Lee, Peter Criss, Stewart Copeland and Chad Smith all citing him as an inspiration.

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters once described him as being the "greatest drummer of all time" and it is likely that he will continue to encourage new generations of drummers for years to come.

Ringo is much maligned and that is unfortunate because he is a very good drummer.

A lot of the criticism usually comes from those wannabe drummers who think they are better than what they actually are or from

those who wouldn't have a clue.

I have never heard or read any of his peers including Bonzo, Moon, Baker or anyone else for that matter, put his playing down, quite the contrary really.

He has played on more no. 1 hits than any other drummer in history and influenced more drummers than anyone, barring Moon or Baker in the '60's and pre Bonzo.

His drumming on Love Me Do, A Day In The Life and the Sgt. Peppers album in general is second to none.

I've heard Neil Peart and personally I don't think he's any better or worse than Ringo.

Ringo is much maligned and that is unfortunate because he is a very good drummer.

A lot of the criticism usually comes from those wannabe drummers who think they are better than what they actually are or from

I have never heard or read any of his peers including Bonzo, Moon, Baker or anyone else for that matter, put his playing down, quite the contrary really.

He has played on more no. 1 hits than any other drummer in history and influenced more drummers than anyone, barring Moon or Baker in the '60's and pre Bonzo.

His drumming on Love Me Do, A Day In The Life and the Sgt. Peppers album in general is second to none.

I've heard Neil Peart and personally I don't think he's any better or worse than Ringo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCU-JM6sPxU

He played drums in the Beatles for quite some time. You can see him in the back. He played drums and bongo on Don't Bother Me, which was later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDstoB8AHvw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4UyStG69hs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYbVh3gzoI

Yes we know he was in The Beatles ..

i'm with this guy..... buddy rich, john bonham, ginger baker, etc... on their best day couldn't have played better on "a day in the life", "I am the walrus" or "hey jude" than ringo did.

it isn't all about technical ability. if it was, this list would have included steve smith, vinny colaiuta, simon phillips and gavin harrison. it's about taste and playing what's right for the song... that's what john bonham and ringo both had. john bonham had a hell of a lot more chops than ringo, but ringo was/is an extremly tasteful drummer. the perfect drummer for the beatles.

another example is nick mason.. his playing is very simple, but he's perfect for pink floyd. some hotshot playing all over the place would have killed the feel that floyd had.

You can see Ringo playing drums on Can't Buy Me Love; nice easy flowing rhythm there.

And the songs by the Beatles were structured like those from a period in England from centuries earlier, so he combined modern rock and roll drums, which are essentially African in origin, with the older English form. What other English drummers did that during or prior to the 1960s?

I agree with first two places. The greatest drummers, nothing else to say. I agree with you on Ringo Starr. One of the greatest drummers. He is not technically one of the greatest drummers or as powerful as other drummers but his playing style and feel, especially in those times, is what made him great. I'm glad to see Ginger Baker in the list too. He deserves this.

As a non-musician, I totally go along with your sentiments Silver Rider.

I don't know about you, but when I hear "Love Me Do" it's one of the few pop songs that I adore the drumming.

I don't know if it's hard to play, or the chopsticks of drumming and don't really care.

Ringo manages to make those drums sing in a well......tight, steady, cascading and yet still melodic rhythm.

My description may be technically wrong drum terms, but you get the idea!

Definitely deseves to be high on the list IMO..........................:) missy

ah, so is it just an urban myth/legend that macca played the drums on the early beatles records?

Archived