Concerts You Had To Miss

Sure, most of us have seen some good shows, but what about those shows we had to miss out out? What shows did you have to pass up seeing, whether is was because of an emergency, out of town, money issues, etc. Here is my list.

AC/DC

Rush

The Eagles

Paul McCartney

Kiss (Twice)

Motley Crue

Roger Daltrey & Eric Clapton

Neil Young

Stevie Nicks and Rod Stewart

Ozzy and Slash

Van Halen

Tenacious D

Elton John & Billy Joel

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Cheap Trick

Poison

Def Leppard (Twice)

Aerosmith & ZZ Top

And probably more...I'll keep you updated as I think of more (Not that you care, haha)

Post away!

I've been a fan of Zeppelin since I was 11. Lived in rural Nebraska and was too young to travel far to see them - closest would have been Denver or Chicago. As a sophmore in H.S. for the 77 tour, still too young according to my parents to go to Chicago or Texas for a rock concert by myself. After graduating and hearing in 1979 that they were playing in Knebworth, I contacted a travel agent in Omaha to see what planes flew to Knebworth, England. This was before the internet and of course she couldn't find a plane flying "to that city". Then I was told about a passport...a whatport? So young and so naive. Then I called ticket brokers in New York to see if they had tickets - they would try to hunt a pair down. By this time news came out of the 1980 US tour, so I stopped pursuing it figuring my best bet would be to go ANYWHERE in the States to see them in 1980. I was in college and could easily make the trip to Chicago.

I never got that chance.

So when the Ahmet Tribute concert was announced, I was not going to be denied. Even if it meant I only got to stick my ear against the venue to listen, I'd be there. I was fortunate enough to score a standing ticket, so my lifetime dream which I NEVER thought would ever be fulfilled was granted (alas without John)!

I have no right to bitch about about anything I missed, since getting too shitfaced in the city to find my way to the Beacon for one show not too long ago. Took hours to even find my way back to the train station. Gone are the days of getting primed shortly after bacon and eggs...

Rory Gallagher 1978. We used to go to a rock club in Manchester every Friday. A mate phoned me up and asked of I wanted to go to see Rory instead of the club. For some insane reason I turned him down.

Lynard Skynard. I have mentioned this before and always get my dates wrong. Went to buy LS tickets ended up with Genesis tickets probably 1977

Woodstock. My older sister decided to move out of the house that weekend & guess who had to load & drive the truck.

Procol Harem, Fillmore East, April 1971. Flat tire on my MG Midget on L.I.E. Of course the spare was flat, too.

Elvis, Nassau Coliseum, August 1977. Well, actually he missed that one, too. Still have the tickets.

Pretenders, Academy of Music, January 1982. Ice & sub-zero temps caused LIRR track switches to freeze up. Went home after waiting at the train station for an hour after the train was due.

I've been a fan of Zeppelin since I was 11. Lived in rural Nebraska and was too young to travel far to see them - closest would have been Denver or Chicago. As a sophmore in H.S. for the 77 tour, still too young according to my parents to go to Chicago or Texas for a rock concert by myself. After graduating and hearing in 1979 that they were playing in Knebworth, I contacted a travel agent in Omaha to see what planes flew to Knebworth, England. This was before the internet and of course she couldn't find a plane flying "to that city". Then I was told about a passport...a whatport? So young and so naive. Then I called ticket brokers in New York to see if they had tickets - they would try to hunt a pair down. By this time news came out of the 1980 US tour, so I stopped pursuing it figuring my best bet would be to go ANYWHERE in the States to see them in 1980. I was in college and could easily make the trip to Chicago.

I never got that chance.

So when the Ahmet Tribute concert was announced, I was not going to be denied. Even if it meant I only got to stick my ear against the venue to listen, I'd be there. I was fortunate enough to score a standing ticket, so my lifetime dream which I NEVER thought would ever be fulfilled was granted (alas without John)!

Your time certainly came :)

I knew someone who turned down the chance to see Queen on their last tour in 1986, saying I'll catch em next tour, of course Freddie died and that was it......not counting the tribute band that now excists.

I knew someone who turned down the chance to see Queen on their last tour in 1986, saying I'll catch em next tour, of course Freddie died and that was it......not counting the tribute band that now excists.

I did just exactly that....turned down the chance to see them on what was their last tour with Freddie.........grrrrr!

10,000 Maniacs w/ Camper Van Beethoven at Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh back in 1989, I'm pretty sure I still have the ticket somewhere. There was also the Police who performed in Greensboro on the Synchronicity tour. I had to miss out on Peter Tosh when he came to Paige Auditorium in Durham in the 80's as well. I'm sure there's many more but those are the first ones to come to mind. There used to be a time when I wouldn't go to a concert unless I had someone to go with me but that quickly changed as I got older. It's always good to have a traveling companion but I also found that you can't let that hold you back from attending concerts you'd really like to see.

Too many to name but a few standouts:

The Beatles

The Yardbirds, Roy Orbison

The Small Faces

Pink Floyd

Free, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Deep Purple

The Rolling Stones

Uriah Heep

Eric Clapton

Bad Company

Peter Frampton

Alice Cooper

Elton John

Yes

Steely Dan

Eagles

Wings

Oh, here's another beauty on my list :

Cream Farewell Concert MSG, November 1968 I didn't even know they were playing there until one night, watching a NY Rangers hockey game, one of the broadcasters announced that it had been sold out.

I was only 8 when Led Zeppelin last played in Houston 1977- so I didn't make that one. But I got to see all the solo tours , both Firm tours and both Page/Plant tours etc and all the other groups I have wanted to see.

The only show I missed was Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1986. I still have the unused ticket. I can't even remember why me and my friend missed the show- either one of us was sick or we had no ride. But I was lucky to see him 2 times in 1989.

Oh, here's another beauty on my list :

Cream Farewell Concert MSG, November 1968 I didn't even know they were playing there until one night, watching a NY Rangers hockey game, one of the broadcasters announced that it had been sold out.

Lets go Rangers!!!!!

• 6 months later...

One other show I had to miss was ZZ Top-Eliminator tour in 1983. I got grounded because the power went off at high school so me and two buddies decided to walk to the mall- about 4 miles away. I was a freshman and wasn't driving yet. One of my mom's friends saw us out there at the mall during the day and well I got grounded and she sold my tickets. She felt so guilty when the guy came to pick up the tickets that she had sold them to.The guy did get me a t-shirt

Archived