BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Not a fan of the green spears, eh?

Far from it Seany boy. They are my favourite ever veg. It was the way you said "more fun with....."

I can eat the spears every day in season. The UK produces some of the best you can buy but alas the season is so short. I occasionally get white Asparagus  - which is allright and in the winter it's from Peru. Sometimes good sometimes a bit bitter. But with a poached egg and a hollandaise sauce you cannot beat the old Brittany's

A friend recently made chocoflan, a cake that it not only gorgeous, it is  very delicious.  Super moist chocolate cake with a layer of flan.  Oh my! I love that the flan replaces sweet icing, it is a great combination and may be my new favorite cake.  And did I mention that is gorgeous? I got the recipe from my friend and made the cake for my dad's birthday. While it tasted ok, the flan did not set and it was not gorgeous at all.  It was a total disaster. :(  I will try again.

To celebrate the onset of Autumn, I have dry marinated some Lamb neck in Moroccan spices ready for Mrs CP to make a Tagine whilst i am out this afternoon.

Dry rub: 1 Teaspoon of each 

Ras el hanout spice mix

Cumin Powder

Cinnamon Powder

Ginger powder

coriander powder

Sweet smoked Paprika

Salt & Black Pepper

Fry the marinated Lamb in Olive oil for a few mins to seal. Add onion and coriander stalks for a further 5 mins. Add chickpeas and a tin of chapped toms and 400ml of lamb stock and cook for 1 1/2 hrs. Add sweet potato and dried apricots and more 400ml of stock and cook for a further 1 1/2 hours. When thick and fragrant add coriander leaves and tasted flaked almonds and serve. 

This is great with rice or a good sourdough loaf ( our preference) or traditionally that shite couscous, which should stay in the bottom of a bird cage where it belongs.

Tiramisu and cream for afters.

Rioja for me some white for Mrs CP

Edited by chillumpuffer

^^^ Sounds very yummy, CP! I admire your energy and enthusiasm for cooking!  Much better than the ham sandwiches I've been living on. ;) 

I'm with you on the couscous, what's up with that!? Not a fan. 

I had to google 'chapped toms' as I thought it may be some gourmet ingredient that I've never heard of. When my results said 'did you mean chapped toes', I realized you may have been using chopped tomatoes? :) 

3 hours ago, Ddladner said:

^^^ Sounds very yummy, CP! I admire your energy and enthusiasm for cooking!  Much better than the ham sandwiches I've been living on. ;) 

I had to google 'chapped toms' as I thought it may be some gourmet ingredient that I've never heard of. When my results said 'did you mean chapped toes', I realized you may have been using chopped tomatoes? :) 

I like couscous sometimes. I make a roasted butternut squash and cinnamon over couscous that I find pretty tasty...and it is safe for my gluten-free friends.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I like couscous sometimes. I make a roasted butternut squash and cinnamon over couscous that I find pretty tasty...and it is safe for my gluten-free friends.

Not saying I would never try couscous again, but given the choice, I might prefer your roasted butternut squash with cinnamon (which sounds lovely), over rice or some form of pasta (besides couscous). Or by itself. :P  

15 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Of course Chopped toms - how lazy of me. The Tagine was historic. maybe next time i will use chopped toes !

On August 13, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Strider said:

Breakfast with Rick. He had chocolate chip pancakes...I had the french toast with berries and bananas. Took him to Uncle Bill's Pancake House...where Quentin Tarantino filmed opening scene of "Reservoir Dogs".

IMG_04961.jpg

20160811_104744.jpg

This place is a must return to Strider.  I loved it.  And the website is great.  Best damn pancakes I ever had.   I want to spend 3-5 days at that Beach!!!!

On 8/21/2016 at 0:47 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This place is a must return to Strider.  I loved it.  And the website is great.  Best damn pancakes I ever had.   I want to spend 3-5 days at that Beach!!!!

Hell, wait 'til I take you to The Griddle! Pancake Paradise!

On 8/20/2016 at 3:05 PM, Ddladner said:

Not saying I would never try couscous again, but given the choice, I might prefer your roasted butternut squash with cinnamon (which sounds lovely), over rice or some form of pasta (besides couscous). Or by itself. :P  

Here you go Dd...just substitute rice for couscous.

Sean's Baked Pumpkin w/Couscous

Makes enough for a side dish...if planned as main entree, double recipe.

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, trimmed and sliced into 1/4 -inch half rings

1/3 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar (depending on taste)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped ginger

3 thyme sprigs

3 1/2 cups chopped fresh pumpkin, from 1 small (about 1 pound) peeled and cleaned pumpkin/ or use butternut 
squash if pumpkin not available

1 to 2 cups couscous(or use 2 8oz. boxes of couscous and prepare according to instructions)

1. Pre-Heat oven to 325 degrees.

2. In a medium, heavy-bottom fry pan heated over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Gently cook until the onion caramelizes, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the sugar and continue to cook until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger and thyme sprigs. Finally, stir in the chopped pumpkin.

3. Place the pumpkin/squash mixture in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Bake the pumpkin until it is tender and slightly caramelized, 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.

4. While the pumpkin/squash is baking, prepare the couscous: for each cup of couscous, boil 1 and 1/2 cups water in medium-large saucepan. When water boils, add couscous, stir, cover pan and turn off heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. If you desire, you can add salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder or any of your favourite flavours to the water as it boils before putting in couscous.

5. To serve, mound the couscous in the center of a large platter and garnish with the pumpkin/squash mixture.

11 hours ago, Strider said:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 thyme sprigs

3 1/2 cups chopped fresh pumpkin, from 1 small (about 1 pound) peeled and cleaned pumpkin/ or use butternut 

1 to 2 cups couscous(or use 2 8oz. boxes of couscous and prepare according to instructions)

2. In a medium, heavy-bottom fry pan heated over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Gently cook until the onion caramelizes, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the sugar and continue to cook until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger and thyme sprigs. Finally, stir in the chopped pumpkin.

3. Place the pumpkin/squash mixture in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Bake the pumpkin until it is tender and slightly caramelized, 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.

4. While the pumpkin/squash is baking, prepare the couscous: for each cup of couscous, boil 1 and 1/2 cups water in medium-large saucepan. When water boils, add couscous, stir, cover pan and turn off heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. If you desire, you can add salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder or any of your favourite flavours to the water as it boils before putting in couscous.

5. To serve, mound the couscous in the center of a large platter and garnish with the pumpkin/squash mixture.

That is a lot of sugar for one Onion Sean? Do you not add the sugar to the onion to caramelise?

20 hours ago, Strider said:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 thyme sprigs

Yum! I like the idea of using pumpkin. :) 

10 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

That is a lot of sugar for one Onion Sean? Do you not add the sugar to the onion to caramelise?

As I said, the amount can vary depending on your taste. Less sweet, use 1/3 or even 1/4 cup sugar. However, I should remind you that the sugar is not just for the onion, it is also needed to caramelized the pumpkin. So it really is not a lot, after all.

Dinner this evening: Chicken Makhani or Butter chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala - take your pick

Marinated chuck, which has been smothered in lime juice, yogurt and cream, infused with spices and chilli will be "tikkered" under the grill and then added to a creamy tomato curry sauce. Roti for mopping up this wonderful rich curry.

We have also scored 2 mixed fresh fruit tartlets. Short pastry trays with creme patisserie and topped with peach,blackberries, strawberries and raspberries. These dangerously moreish beauties will be drizzled with cream.

Wines of course and my new green which is lovely.

I am going to barbecue some steaks within the hour, I'll bake some garlic bread to it. and include some macaroni salad instead of potatoes and some squash or something. And I will be listening to Robert Plant, either Mighty Rearranger or Fate of Nations.