2013 Rock Hall nominees list

The Pagemeister

Rush, N.W.A, Public Enemy on 2013 Rock Hall nominees list

By Randy Lewis

October 3, 2012, 9:15 p.m.

Randy Newman, Public Enemy, N.W.A, Donna Summer and -- to the delight of progressive rock fans around the world -- Rush are among the names on the final nominees list for 2013 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which for the first time will be announced at a ceremony to be held next year in Los Angeles.

Joining them are the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Albert King, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters and Procol Harum.

The broad diversity of music styles represented by this year’s round of nominees was noted by Joel Peresman, president and chief executive of the Rock Hall Foundation, in announcing the names.

“The definition of ‘rock and roll’ means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music,” Peresman said in a statement. “This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is ‘rock and roll’.”

This year’s round of inductions could remedy some longstanding gripes about the Hall’s membership.

Newman has been long overlooked despite being one of the most critically acclaimed songwriters of the rock era. "I'm already bitter that I'm not in it,” he told The Times mockingly in 1995. “It's a Hall of Shame."

Progressive-rock fans have long (and loudly) bemoaned the absence of Rush, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and other bands that specialized in expanding the structures of the rock song form in the 1970s and since. Genesis is the only band considered part of the prog-rock community to be included in the Hall of Fame, but its presence has as much to do with the breakout solo successes of members Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as to its own legacy.

Likewise, disco fans have lobbied heavily for the inclusion of Summer into the Rock Hall, an effort that picked up the support of Elton John earlier this year after she was again among the nominees who didn’t make the final cut.

Upon her death in May, John said, "That she has never been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a total disgrace, especially when I see the second-rate talent that has been inducted." John famously campaigned successfully to get his friend and piano-playing influence Leon Russell inducted last year. Summer’s death could make some voters more inclined to vote in her favor this year, and Deep Purple also has a posthumous factor at work this year -- founding member Jon Lord died in July.

Inducting N.W.A or Public Enemy, or both, would bolster hip-hop’s representation at the Hall. To date, the Beastie Boys, Run D.M.C. and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five are the only rap acts to be inducted. Compton's N.W.A is the first West Coast rap act to be nominated. Eligibility requirements state that an act’s first recording must have been at least 25 years ago, which puts the eligibity for consideration this year at 1987.

Induction will be determined by votes of more than 600 artists, historians, critics and members of the music industry.

Yes is not in the HOF? I'm sure there time will come. How could they not be included? Then again, ELO and specifically Jeff Lynne in general are no in the HOF either. They have some work to do.

What a FUCKING JOKE - NWA? There are all kinds of GREAT guitar based rock bands that are not in because the critics don't view them as being serious enough, and NWA gets in. What a fucking joke. Listen I always wanted to doggy Donna Summer, but let us be serious, she is not rock...

Yan or Jan or Jyan or whatever his name is from Rolling Stone Magazine is a total loser. He needs to go suck a dick...Hall of Shame is more like it...

Kraftwerk, Rush and Deep Purple are in my list of WTF are they not in?

along with KISS YES The Moody Blues etc...

I'm pleasantly surprised.

They've established that they're going to let rap bands in.. I'm ok with it.

Personally I believe rap should not be allowed into the HOF. If Rock N Roll means any genre of music we have thousands of composers and classical performers who should get in before any rapper. Plus rap sucks balls and I don't recognize it as a legitimate genre of music. Rap, Dubstep and teeny pop are not legitimate forms of music imo.

Whether or not you like it, "Straight Outta Compton" was a pioneering, groundbreaking album. I think it's incredible and still listen to it quite a bit. To me, "rock and roll" is about so much more than classic rock like Yes or Deep Purple. (Go ahead and flame me but I find both bands very boring.) It's often about varied, wild, unexpected influences and contemporaneous social significance, too. Besides, some of the production choices and wordplay on rap albums are really brilliant. I'm glad that PE and NWA are being inducted but imagine that I am in the minority here.

Personally, I love PE and NWA. "In full affect, brothaaaaaaaaaaa!"

I have to admit, I did love me some NWA. Especially Dr. Dre & Ice Cube. They are by far my faves in the rap game. I still listen to it occasionally, but not all of the time. Just the times I want to punch something or somebody.

Whether or not you like it, "Straight Outta Compton" was a pioneering, groundbreaking album. I think it's incredible and still listen to it quite a bit. To me, "rock and roll" is about so much more than classic rock like Yes or Deep Purple. (Go ahead and flame me but I find both bands very boring.) It's often about varied, wild, unexpected influences and contemporaneous social significance, too. Besides, some of the production choices and wordplay on rap albums are really brilliant. I'm glad that PE and NWA are being inducted but imagine that I am in the minority here.

Big time minority

Big time minority

Yes, that's an understatement....As "Groundbreaking" as Compton was, it's STILL NOT Rock N' Roll, no matter how you slice or dice it. Play it backwards, it's still Rap-nothing more , nothing less. There are thousands of albums out there by thousands of artist that scream rock n' roll. Something tells me the Organization is trying to appeal to a wider audience, with nominees like this. Personally, I find it disappointing. Maybe it deserves it's place in a Rap/Hip Hop awards ceremony for it's success in that genre, but The RRHOF is not the place. Last time I checked NWA and Public Enemy were sold under the Rap genre'. I don't agree with The Beastie Boys being in there either, because it's the same equal. Only thing is, they did come close to Rock in a handful of tunes, in which Kerry King from Slayer plays lead guitar....If it was called The Music Hall of Fame, (not focusing on Rock N' Roll only) I could easily accept and understand it.

Some people just gotta be different .......for the sake of it.

I agree with everything you say, apart from the bit about Deep Purple being boring. :) Not heard much Yes.

The debate over the Rock Hall - I just think when entire genres of music get excluded because people on the committee don't feel they're "influential" and you have record label heads involved in the process and showing favoritism, it's biased. Have to remember Jann Wenner was the one who came up with this, and most of the critics have written for Rolling Stone.

As far as hip-hop & rap goes, that's a given, as time goes by, and taking into account who votes and who's on the committee, hip hop does become more of a presence in music in the 80s to present.

But there's people like Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell that get inducted as rock performers. To me, if someone's in for their songwriting, there should be a category for songwriters. I had no problem with Tom Waits being in because he's put rock records out. Even Neil Diamond, who's buddy Robbie Robertson from The Band, has some weight in the votes.

Even though Springsteen's not on the committee, his manager Jon Landau and Steve Van Zandt are on the committee, but if it was about picking favorites, Southside Johnny would be in, so would Gary US Bonds. Steve's prob. the only one trying to put "real rock bands" in.

Eddie Trunk's been complaining for years and his biggest complaint recently was Jon Lord's death being why Deep Purple are being on the list this year. Rush - it was just the years of complaining and the documentary that played a part in them being finally included.

Also, when committee members Toure and Joe Levy were on Twitter during the Rock Hall induction, they were getting hammered hard about the criteria, why some people in the band get chosen and others didn't, if there had been different lineups over the years, but were important to the band. Deep Purple - why shouldn't Steve Morse be in? Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale? They're just going to go with the band that did "Machine Head"? I'll be surprised if Blackmore even goes.

They had no explanation for the exclusions.

Steve Van Zandt had said the awards are more for the people like Wanda Jackson who get lost and forgotten over the years, or Laura Nyro.

I think Rush's documentary helped, as did Stephen Colbert having them on the show, and just the overall years of complaining why Deep Purple, KISS, and Rush are never included (KISS did make the list before).

But it's not as biased as people think, it's just that some years, the argument to induct some is stronger than other years. Chic being inducted - Nile Rodgers has been battling with cancer, and with all his production credits as well as Chic providing a LOT of influence to rock bands, should be in. Nile's produced Bowie, Jagger, Madonna and many other inducted artists. There wouldn't be a "Rappers Delight", "Another Brick in the Wall II", "Another One Bites The Dust" without Chic.

I don't think the Rock Hall's a joke, but to put the museum in Cleveland and have these ceremonies to keep the doors open is kind of silly. I'm sure why they're doing the ceremony in LA is because people didn't want to fly out to Cleveland and the turnout wasn't all that great.

Don't worry Kimber, I got your back. :friends:

Sometimes the minority is right. I'm well on record here about my disdain for Jann Wenner and the entire concept of a 'hall of fame' for rock and roll. Type in Strider + Jann Wenner/Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sucks and you'll find plenty of evidence.

But since there's a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whether we like it or not, I see no problem having hip hop and rap artists in there. I mean, once you let Billy Joel in, the bar is set pretty low to begin with. The Beastie Boys absolutely deserved to be in, as do Run-DMC, Public Enemy and NWA. They rocked harder than any dipshit hair-metal band.

I suppose the groundswell is building for Rush to finally make it...but am I the only one who feels strange that Rush would get in before Yes?

The Beastie Boys absolutely deserved to be in, as do Run-DMC, Public Enemy and NWA. They rocked harder than any dipshit hair-metal band.

That's how I see it. I'd rather listen to any of those four than the likes of Bon Jovi any day.

Archived