Soundboards...

tom kid

Empress Valley seem to have a few soundboards up their sleeve (alas, most likely from '75). I was just thinking before that now with all of the interest surrounding Zeppelin because of the Celebration Day movie that we might see another soundboard sometime soon. Anyone else think this is likely?

Empress Valley seem to have a few soundboards up their sleeve (alas, most likely from '75). I was just thinking before that now with all of the interest surrounding Zeppelin because of the Celebration Day movie that we might see another soundboard sometime soon. Anyone else think this is likely?

I'm frankly surprised that EVSD hasn't announced anything recently - that is to say, since the announcement of Celebration Day. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're given something else to consider purchasing this time next month, likely (as you say) something from 1975. We might see another 1977 soundboard down the road, though.

I downloaded a very good one from 1975 i think it was vancouver and the concert was amazing. First thing that comes to mind is the superb Kashmir. Robert's very chatty.

Snowblind - 20th March, 1975. Unless you mean Snow Jobs, which is from the day before - both feature really strong performances from that year, and "Kashmir" from the 20th is definitely superb.

I'm frankly surprised that EVSD hasn't announced anything recently - that is to say, since the announcement of Celebration Day. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're given something else to consider purchasing this time next month, likely (as you say) something from 1975. We might see another 1977 soundboard down the road, though.

Snowblind - 20th March, 1975. Unless you mean Snow Jobs, which is from the day before - both feature really strong performances from that year, and "Kashmir" from the 20th is definitely superb.

Yes, I just checked it out and it is the 20th. Robert tells the story about what happened in 1971 (?), that ended up supposedly being the reason why they didn't went there for the last three years. I just listened to Trampled from this show and it is one of the best I ever heard. I love Jimmy's Tone on the 1975 tour. It would have been Zeppelin's best year of touring if Robert's voice was just a tiny bit better, but in this show his voice quickly gains his natural tone and hits it good in Sick Again, and the rest of the show is amazing. The only song I think they ought to have droped from the set is Over The Hills.

It just doesn't sound good without robert hitting the high notes. Also, for those who'd like to listen better to JPJ's bass, this release is very good.

I'm prayin' for the Houston 1975 soundboard, personally......

One of the great, but lost, shows of Zeppelin's career-

Never been a copy of this show released, audience or soundboard - and it was a truly KILLER show......

JPJ-James-Patrick-Page-and-Bonzo-Houston-1975.jpg

I am with Mark for this one plus Houston 1973, Rotterdam and Brussels 1975, any of the 1977 shows that haven't surfaced in SBD format, Copenhagen 7-23&24 -79,Vienna and Munich 1980

Yes, I just checked it out and it is the 20th. Robert tells the story about what happened in 1971 (?), that ended up supposedly being the reason why they didn't went there for the last three years. I just listened to Trampled from this show and it is one of the best I ever heard. I love Jimmy's Tone on the 1975 tour. It would have been Zeppelin's best year of touring if Robert's voice was just a tiny bit better, but in this show his voice quickly gains his natural tone and hits it good in Sick Again, and the rest of the show is amazing. The only song I think they ought to have droped from the set is Over The Hills.

It just doesn't sound good without robert hitting the high notes. Also, for those who'd like to listen better to JPJ's bass, this release is very good.

Makes me happy that those two shows were on Canadian soil. :)

I don't mind the melancholy "Over the Hills." To each one's own. :)

It seems a lot of the soundboards in circulation have come from two sources: (1) The stuff stolen from Page's house in the '80s; and (2) Showco employee(s). If (and I admit that's a big "if") most of what was stolen has already found its way out into circulation, then the Showco 'boards are the main thing remaining. AFAIK those would be from '75 (and I guess '77 - although the status of those SBDs is always hard to figure out).

So I would imagine Empress Valley has more 1975 'boards, including the much-desired March 21 Seattle. My guess is that they will wait until early 2013 to release anything. Folks will be consumed with Celebration Day from now until through the holiday season.

My guess is ESVD will try to capitalize on the Celebration Day hype by waiting until the novelty of that release has just started to fade.

Didn't Empress Valley's last 'Soundboard Revolution' flood of releases coincide with the 2003 release of the DVD and HTWWW? Then, another wave seemed to hit around the time of the O2 show in 2007.

So it would seem to follow that another influx of soundboards is due...and I agree with Mark and David: the Houston 75 show would be nice, as well as the Rotterdam and Brussels 75 shows. I would prefer those to 3-21 Seattle, even.

But the 75 Soundboard I most pine for is...

MARCH 12 LONG BEACH!

That was a killer show that gets overlooked because of a bad audience tape. I know because I was there.

the techs, staff and Showco employees were some of the hardest working people ever and were so busy they didn't hardly even have time to take pictures much less setup bootleg stations. Employees with Showco early took work with other gigs/tours at the same time ( several employers ) even on the OE tour '80. A few of them have recordings of OE rehearsals that have not come out.

We know other boots exist and they will come out- waiting for Pontiac and Long Beach 3/12 here.

(2) Showco employee(s)... then the Showco 'boards are the main thing remaining. AFAIK those would be from '75 (and I guess '77 - although the status of those SBDs is always hard to figure out).

• 2 weeks later...

Which gig?

The one were they play For what it's worth in the middle of communication breakdown. I get shivers when the audience claps from realizing what song they started playing. That's when I realized it was all about the music back then. No bullshit like nowadays.

The one were they play For what it's worth in the middle of communication breakdown. I get shivers when the audience claps from realizing what song they started playing. That's when I realized it was all about the music back then. No bullshit like nowadays.

Do you really need a soundboard from the Blueberry Hill gig? Most of the sources are excellent, and at least a couple of them are near-soundboard quality.

You'd basically lose the emotional aspect of the song you just mentioned - the audience would probably be quite buried in the mix, if our other 1970 soundboards are anything to go by.

While I love the sound quality of soundboards, I tend to get tired of them due to them sounding dry. You do lose a lot of the feeling of the show.

How many new soundboards has there been since the show in 2007? Not many right? I would think that it will continue to be slow. To be optimistic though, I'd like a 72 or 77 board.

While I love the sound quality of soundboards, I tend to get tired of them due to them sounding dry. You do lose a lot of the feeling of the show.

How many new soundboards has there been since the show in 2007? Not many right? I would think that it will continue to be slow. To be optimistic though, I'd like a 72 or 77 board.

Don't get me wrong - a 1970 soundboard (especially Blueberry Hill) would be awesome, it's just that they don't impart the atmosphere like the audience tapes for that show (in particular) do. At least, not in my opinion...I think soundboards from the later period (75-77, 80) are far more likely than those which would date to the earlier part of their career - those dating from 69-73 appear to have been sourced from the theft(s), at least as far as I'm aware.

There have been seven soundboards released since the O2 show (if you count the O2 rehearsal)

I get it...let's not run what made the show (Blueberry Hill) such a popular experience for music fans. One crystal clear example of a soundboard that would be nice is Bath. No emotions or ambiance to ruin with that recording...it can only get better :P

I am reading "LZ 75: The Lost Chronicles of Leppelin's 1975 American Tour" by Stephen Davis and he mentions a bootleg from the January 24th in Cleveland. I don't see that on any bootleg list anywhere. Any ideas?

Archived