Cool Soundcheck from 1973?

ZeppMan93

I'm sure since this is the hot bed of Zeppelin live stuff this has posted before so in advanced if it is I apologize, but I found this just recently and after hearing this cool soundcheck I kind of now want them to play Night Flight live hahaha. The bluesier stuff at the end is pretty cool too. I don't know if this is from 1973 or not, but I thought I would post this. I heard the first jam/song before, but not the other stuff.

This soundcheck is very cool. Tt's nice to hear them just messing around, The Rover, Night Flight, the Elvis and Chuck Berry stuff.

One clue that this would be from '73 is the fact that JPJ is playing the organ, they didn't have an organ in '75 (the year that some people think this is).

I think its 1973 as well. Pretty cool that by that time they have finished Night Flight and The Rover already and all they had to do was put it on a record. Too bad there isn't more soundchecks like this one floating around. The only other one I can think of would be them playing Carouselambra in May 1980, but that's more of a rehearsal than a soundcheck.

I think its 1973 as well. Pretty cool that by that time they have finished Night Flight and The Rover already and all they had to do was put it on a record. Too bad there isn't more soundchecks like this one floating around. The only other one I can think of would be them playing Carouselambra in May 1980, but that's more of a rehearsal than a soundcheck.

This boot has wrong date on it - it's Jul. 6.73 Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois

The date is conjecture, but it is definitely during 1973. Listen to the guitar tone, and the quality of the recording...it's practically identical to the SBDs from that year.

They were beginning work on Physical Graffiti during that year -- the backing track for "Kashmir" dates to 1973.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. From: "The Concert File" by Dave Lewis & Simon Pallett, "Rehersal, May 1973. A soundboard recording exists from a 1973 soundcheck (where the band plays Elvis and obscure Johnny Kidd & the Pirates numbers) which is often erroneously cited as having been taped prior to the Jul. 6th Chicago date. From the quality of Plant's vocals (which were in poor shape at the beginning of the second leg of the U.S. Tour) it's evident it's from the first leg of the tour, possibly from the afternoon prior to the May 4 show." Conjecture. Speculation on behalf of Dave Lewis?

Speculation in terms of the date. Everything else -- recording quality, guitar tone, even song choice -- suggests 1973 over 1975.

I mean, listen to "The Wanton Song"...it's clearly embryonic. They had performed the final version of the song on the first legs of the 1975 tour.

I bet this soundcheck or part of it is released with either Houses of the Holy or Physical Graffiti re-release. Along with the Chicago 07-06 soundcheck.

Well don't. You will lose.

Half of PG was already recorded or written previously. They played Bron-Yr-Aur in some 1970 shows. Black Country Woman and Houses of the Holy were also recording in 1972. Didn't they play Black Country Woman in 72?

Half of PG was already recorded or written previously. They played Bron-Yr-Aur in some 1970 shows. Black Country Woman and Houses of the Holy were also recording in 1972. Didn't they play Black Country Woman in 72?

Yeah I knew that, and yes they did play it in 1972 on June 19th. That'll be cool if they released this on their re-release of Houses of the Holy/Physical Graffiti but I'm sure they'll put a bootleg instead...hopefully.

Different from the above-referenced 1973 rehearsal-I've heard that there's a tape with Jimmy,Robert and Bonzo doing a few loose tunes around the Physical Graffiti time frame that includes a few Elvis Presley standards as well as a Bonham version of "Let There Be Drums".

Apparently John Paul Jones had gone home for the day and the other band members were just having a jam.

It's the final rehearsals for 1975 U.S. Tour, recorded at The Metropolitan Sports Center, Minneapolis Minn. 1975. These tracks are from a bootleg album called "Tribute to Johnny Kidd & the Pirates"

No it isn't! The soundcheck is from 1973 - venue and exact date remain unknown.

Being from Chicago I'd like to think its a sound check from the Chicago Stadium - I know there's much debate about where & when its from. : )

The only sure thing about that soundcheck is that it isn't from Chicago. Plant's voice was shot during their stint in Chicago that year. If any of you have all the bootlegs from Chicago in 73' you'll know this to be true. Plant's voice was in fine form during that soundcheck.

Having never heard the Atlanta '73 boot to confirm, people have said on this board they practiced a jam during that soundcheck which was also played at that opening US '73 tour show at Fulton County Stadium. Based on that being said and the state of Plant's voice, Bonham's drum sound, and Jimmy's playing - it seems that a pre-tour soundcheck from Atlanta has to be the location and time this gem was recorded.

I bought a cd of this sometime in the 90s, titled round and round. It says 75 on cd, ofcourse agree was 73. With page and bonham blowing up 50s rock songs, it sounds so punk rock to me, like c'mon everybody from dvd as well. Ya think they may have jammed on this stuff in the studio. With the way buddy holly recorded drums, makes me think bonham would have been inclined to want to play one of his songs.

Also with this sound check, it shows they at least toyed with playing some of their own simpler stuff, other than mostly the big epic songs.

It's the final rehearsals for 1975 U.S. Tour, recorded at The Metropolitan Sports Center, Minneapolis Minn. 1975. These tracks are from a bootleg album called "Tribute to Johnny Kidd & the Pirates"

You are aware that bootlegs are notorious for being wrong on dates and locations?

I have long been in the 1973 Camp but no matter where and when it is from, it remains one of my favourite relics of live Led Zeppelin to listen to..."Shakin' All Over" is a real treat. At least, once Jimmy gets the timing down.

• 5 years later...