Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

LONDON — The Rolling Stones say they are releasing a documentary that traces their band’s colorful 50-year journey.

The film, titled "Crossfire Hurricane," is due for release in some British cinemas in October.

It will feature historical footage and commentaries by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood and former Stones Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor.

Director Brett Morgen said in a statement Thursday that the film is "not an academic history lesson" but invites the audience to experience "the Stones’ nearly mythical journey from outsiders to rock and roll royalty."

The documentary also will be shown later this year on HBO and the BBC.

I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-ray release.

Edited by Gospel Zone

Not a Stones fan then?

I'm a huge fan, another Greatest Hits package is boring to me for that exact reason. Why should I shell out for this when I have all of the songs on album anyway? How many times does Brown Sugar, Start Me Up etc. have to be released? Granted there are two supposed new tracks on it, but if they're anything like 'Don't Stop' which was tacked onto the 40 licks compilation you can count me out. I won't be purchasing this but I'll 'acquire' the two new songs.

Edited by tom kid

The big machine that is basically Stones Remasters and such has been busy every year recently putting out product,and there are those that will still buy everything that's offered them.I see your point though.

The "two new" songs was what I found interesting.

I'm a huge fan, another Greatest Hits package is boring to me for that exact reason. Why should I shell out for this when I have all of the songs on album anyway? How many times does Brown Sugar, Start Me Up etc. have to be released? Granted there are two supposed new tracks on it, but if they're anything like 'Don't Stop' which was tacked onto the 40 licks compilation you can count me out. I won't be purchasing this but I'll 'acquire' the two new songs.

There will be new songs, and have heard they are amazing :)

• 1 month later...

I can't agree with you Major, Some Girls is a great album and Tattoo You has some great songs on it, my favourite being 'Worried About You'. Undercover and Dirty Work are complete rubbish though but Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon do have some good songs on them imo.

In other news Keith has said in a recent interview that they have shows booked in London and New York!

http://news.qthemusi...olling_sto.html

Also, the new song 'Doom and Gloom' will be released on itunes on the 11th, I'm very intrigued as to what it will sound like.

Edited by tom kid

"Voodoo Lounge" is the only Stones album of the last 30 years that hasn't collected dust in my collection. Some nice songs on that one. Nothing to rate with the best of 1962-72, but passable.

Still, as much as I harangue the Stones for tarnishing their legacy with these constant jukebox tours that gouge the fans of hundreds of dollars just to hear the same tired songs done Vegas-style...even with all the dreck of the last 30 years, the Rolling Stones will still always have a place in my heart for those two concerts I saw in 1972. Sheer adrenaline heat!

As far as the upcoming shows: No Taylor or Wyman, no interest at all. And another greatest hits package? Yawn.

However I AM very pleased about the recent releases of Brussels 1973 and LA 1975. And the extras they did for Exile and Some Girls recently are great.

Bring out the unreleased gems, other than that...bleh

I can't agree with you Major, Some Girls is a great album and Tattoo You has some great songs on it, my favourite being 'Worried About You'. Undercover and Dirty Work are complete rubbish though but Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon do have some good songs on them imo.

In other news Keith has said in a recent interview that they have shows booked in London and New York!

http://news.qthemusi...olling_sto.html

Also, the new song 'Doom and Gloom' will be released on itunes on the 11th, I'm very intrigued as to what it will sound like.

Some Girls was Great. It really put Ron Wood's stamp on being a true contributer to the Stones. That Fort Worth show was just on TV and I taped it. I thought it was real good. I love I Miss you.

The Stones Are Rolling Again

"We've got some shows in London, I believe, and in New York, but I really can't talk about any of that at the moment". "They've put the gag on me on this. You can hint!" -- Keith Richards

Richards let slip about the shows in the pipeline after admitting the band were a week into a month of rehearsals, which despite the band not working together recently, were now going really well, he said.

Sounds like they recycled elements of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

"Doom and Gloom" sums up the current state of the Rolling Stones.

The good news is I'll be saving money, hand over fist, when the Stones roll out their 50th anniversary forced collectors items as I won't be buying a three or four cd set just to get two songs of the caliber of "Doom and Gloom". I used to buy all the Stones music and video releases, but back when I passed on the Super Deluxe version on Exile On Main Street and then again on that (1971-2006) CD singles set, it makes it that much easier not to buy the next over priced-over hyped sales gimmick. That answers that musical question....."can you break the spell?".

Edited by Gospel Zone

"Doom and Gloom" sums up the current state of the Rolling Stones.

The good news is I'll be saving money, hand over fist, when the Stones roll out their 50th anniversary forced collectors items as I won't be buying a three or four cd set just to get two songs of the caliber of "Doom and Gloom". I used to buy all the Stones music and video releases, but back when I passed on the Super Deluxe version on Exile On Main Street and then again on that (1971-2006) CD singles set, it makes it that much easier not to buy the next over priced-over hyped sales gimmick. That answers that musical question....."can you break the spell?".

I agree most of their work is a rehash with one or two tracks added. I usually wait until someone resells their copy on amazon for a $1 or 2. My stones catalog is only second to zep, that I usually pay full price for. I have to admit I've fallen for the traps but that why they set them , for the faithful fans who somehow think we are getting something new.

Not a bad song.

With that said, I certainly will NOT waste my coin on another greatest hits package. The expanded Exile and Some Girls on the other hand, were more than well worth it. You get basically a complete unreleased album as a bonus on each. Highly recommended for those who haven't got them yet.

Not a bad song.

With that said, I certainly will NOT waste my coin on another greatest hits package. The expanded Exile and Some Girls on the other hand, were more than well worth it. You get basically a complete unreleased album as a bonus on each. Highly recommended for those who haven't got them yet.

The Super Deluxe versions of both Exile and Some Girls sold for, what was it, a couple hundred bucks and contained some little thing on disc that you couldn't get in the two disc expanded versions.....that is if you're just interested in just the music and video itself and not the pictures, books or whatever.

The same goes for the soon to be released Charlie is my Darling Super Deluxe set. Just to get the blu-ray and the live material on the cds you also have to buy the dvd and vinyl and so on. So, unless the price comes down to about 40 bucks, I'm just getting the blu-ray and leaving it at that.

Edited by Gospel Zone