Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

The Super Deluxe versions of both Exile and Some Girls sold for, what was it, a couple hundred bucks and contained some little thing on disc that you couldn't get in the two disc expanded versions.....that is if you're just interested in just the music and video itself and not the pictures, books or whatever.

The same goes for the soon to be released Charlie is my Darling Super Deluxe set. Just to get the blu-ray and the live material on the cds you also have to buy the dvd and vinyl and so on. So, unless the price comes down to about 40 bucks, I'm just getting the blu-ray and leaving it at that.

Ah yes...the "Super Deluxe" sets. I had forgotten about those. Highly unnecessary for all but the extreme completist. Overkill, definitely. The expanded CD versions were just fine by me.

The only thing I'm a completist about is Zep live shows and Stones live shows in their prime (1969-78). Other than that, not so much.

Turns out all of the rumours about London and New York were true

The announcement does dispel the long-standing rumor that the newly-opened Barclay's Center in Brooklyn would host the US dates.

Anyway, I've just reviewed the ticket prices for these concerts and the cheapest seat in the house is nearly $250.00. Unbelieveable! I

am glad to see the fourth date is also on pay per view. Here's hoping spectacular bootlegs follow.

Yep, £100 for the worst nosebleeds and a mere £400+ for the top price tickets. :dont:

I certainly won't be paying that. I was in the third row five years ago and that set me back £150 a ticket...more than high enough.

I'm playing wait and see, sometimes unexpected things happen at the last moment, and reasonably priced tickets might appear.

If not, I can't help feeling there's a few more gigs coming in 2013..with prices at a saner level.

This from The Rolling Stones confidant Bill German (10/15/2012):

It's highly likely that the Stones will extend their "tour" into 2013, visiting the Far East and/or Australia early in the year before heading back to America and Europe.

Right now, they're rehearsing in Paris, running through Jagger-Richards classics like "Let It Bleed," "Lady Jane" and "The Last Time," as well as Lennon & McCartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man" and the Otis Redding nugget "Dock Of The Bay." They've also been rehearsing their two new numbers, "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot," which will appear on next month's greatest hits package, "Grrr!"

Man, my daughter is 15 minutes from the Newark venue. But I saw them twice in the 70's and I cant see myself paying that kind of money. Though I am tempted to make the flight. We were thinking of going down there in November but not sure. If anyone knows the on sale date please post.

This from The Rolling Stones confidant Bill German (10/15/2012):

It's highly likely that the Stones will extend their "tour" into 2013, visiting the Far East and/or Australia early in the year before heading back to America and Europe.

Right now, they're rehearsing in Paris, running through Jagger-Richards classics like "Let It Bleed," "Lady Jane" and "The Last Time," as well as Lennon & McCartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man" and the Otis Redding nugget "Dock Of The Bay." They've also been rehearsing their two new numbers, "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot," which will appear on next month's greatest hits package, "Grrr!"

I bloody hope they play Australia, or even better NZ! I would definitely make the trip across the Tasman if they didn't come to NZ though.

£406 a ticket :hysterical: ! Saw them in 82 and they were dull then. If me and Mrs CP went I could rent a villa in Spain for the week at the cost. Apparently the rumour mill is well and truly active as they are "in talks" for The Glastonbury Festival next summer - but I highly doubt it. Can't see farmer Eavis paying out the millions these greedy bastards would ask.

Yep, £100 for the worst nosebleeds and a mere £400+ for the top price tickets. :dont:

I certainly won't be paying that. I was in the third row five years ago and that set me back £150 a ticket...more than high enough.

I'm playing wait and see, sometimes unexpected things happen at the last moment, and reasonably priced tickets might appear.

If not, I can't help feeling there's a few more gigs coming in 2013..with prices at a saner level.

fuck the stones, way to respect the fans who without them you would be just another bunch of old men, Muddy would be proud! stick your £100 ticket up yer ass!

Absolutely, henrybonzo, FUCK THE STONES!!! Who, along with the Eagles and Pink Floyd, aided and abetted this entire wave of 'ticket gouging' to begin with.

Lee, your only hope is that the Stones do something similar to 2002, where along with the usual expensive stadium and arena shows, in select cities they also performed small theatre gigs for $50 a ticket. In L.A. they played the 2,000- seat Wiltern Theatre with Solomon Burke opening.

I saw the Stones 4 times on that 2002 40th anniversary tour...Halloween at the Staples Center(ticket $150), Wiltern($50), and 2 nights at Pac Bell Park in San Francisco($125 each). The Wiltern show was by far the best.

Now tix are gonna be $250 minimum for the cheap seats...and that's before all the service charges and "convenience" fees are added. Convenient for who?

You know things suck when the servive charge is more than I paid for any Stones ticket in the 70s...you know, when they were actually good. This is patently obscene!!! This means that a man that wants to take his family to see the Stones, maybe share his love of the Stones with his children, is gonna have to fork over more than $1000 just to get in the stadium in the nosebleeds. If he wants a better view, he's looking at close to $3,000-4,000. And that is before adding in costs for parking, food and drinks, merchandise.

You'd have to take out a second mortgage. A rock concert should not cost more than your monthly car or house payment or your rent. I don't care who you are or how "legendary" the band is.

All of you Stones apologists can save your breath, too. I have heard it all from the deluded, rose-coloured-glasses, Stones sycophants who believe the Stones can do no wrong at countless Stones gigs over the years. These are usually people who didn't see their first Stones show until 1989 or 1994.

They are so deluded that their senses have completely abandoned them. For all it takes is a working pair of eyes and ears to see that the Stones have become a charade, a parody of themselves...they have become what Robert Plant talks about when he explains why he is reluctant to go on a Led Zeppelin reunion tour.

I will say this...the Stones picked a perfect title for their new "plunder the fans" package: "GRRR!" is exactly what a lot of us true Stones fans who remember the Brian Jones/Mick Taylor years say when we think of the tired old joke they have become.

GRRR! indeed. But what can a poor boy do?

Obviously they can't see the Stones.

FUCK THE STONES!

Edited by Strider

I remember when I saw them in 1975 and on the Some Girls tour around 1980, do not remembe the exact year, but it was outdoors in Buffalo, where the Bills play now., and they were already referred to by many as getting too old to play anymore. Geez. Who would have imagined in 2012 they would still be at it? I love the old Stones, Eagles and the Who but can certainly agree with your point on the greed issue. I wonder how many will pay those prices? I can see Led Zeppelin getting those prices but the Stones have done this too many times. I am sure there are enough die hards out there that will pay it and maybe some young fans that never got the chance to see them? But can they be financially that bad off to ask for this kind of money? They had better play for 3 1/2 hours and do alot of the old classics. Its not going to sound like Get yer ya ya's Out, that is for sure.

^^^

It's not even going to sound like "Love You Live" or "Let's Spend the Night Together".

FYI Rick...I'm guessing you're talking about Rich Stadium in Buffalo. Do the Bills still play there? I thought they got a new stadium?

Anyway, the Some Girls tour was the summer of 1978...I saw them at Anaheim Stadium that tour. 1981 was their next US tour...the Tattoo You tour. Saw them at the LA Coliseum, Houston Astrodome, and Dallas Cotton Bowl that tour.

^^^

It's not even going to sound like "Love You Live" or "Let's Spend the Night Together".

FYI Rick...I'm guessing you're talking about Rich Stadium in Buffalo. Do the Bills still play there? I thought they got a new stadium?

Anyway, the Some Girls tour was the summer of 1978...I saw them at Anaheim Stadium that tour. 1981 was their next US tour...the Tattoo You tour. Saw them at the LA Coliseum, Houston Astrodome, and Dallas Cotton Bowl that tour.

Yes Strider they still play there and changed the name to Ralph Wilson stadium. Very arrogant in my opinion and just plain stupid. Its always going to be Rich Stadium to me. And then it was 78 I saw them. There at that very stadium and they walked off the stage while it was still daylight, for reasons to this day i will never know. Played an hour and a half and fucked us.

Now they sell out in 7 minutes in Newark for two nights. Prices from $175 to $650 a ticket. Crazy. But they sold out in 7 fucking minutes!!!! Can you believe that shit? At their age? Just imagine how fast Led Zeppelin would sell a tour because there is no doubt in my mind the demand to see them is far higher than the Stones. The Stones have beaten a dead horse to death a hundred times over. I am pretty stunned by this fast sellout with such ridiculous prices. I would not pay $175 to see them in the front fucking row. I saw them in their youth. Why would I pay that kind of money? Its got to either be die hard Stones fans from all over have converged and decided to make the trip to Newark or a curious young crownd that wants to see for themselves what this band is all about? Or perhaps a combination of both? What do you think Strider and Rock Action?

Yes Strider they still play there and changed the name to Ralph Wilson stadium. Very arrogant in my opinion and just plain stupid. Its always going to be Rich Stadium to me. And then it was 78 I saw them. There at that very stadium and they walked off the stage while it was still daylight, for reasons to this day i will never know. Played an hour and a half and fucked us.

Now they sell out in 7 minutes in Newark for two nights. Prices from $175 to $650 a ticket. Crazy. But they sold out in 7 fucking minutes!!!! Can you believe that shit? At their age? Just imagine how fast Led Zeppelin would sell a tour because there is no doubt in my mind the demand to see them is far higher than the Stones. The Stones have beaten a dead horse to death a hundred times over. I am pretty stunned by this fast sellout with such ridiculous prices. I would not pay $175 to see them in the front fucking row. I saw them in their youth. Why would I pay that kind of money? Its got to either be die hard Stones fans from all over have converged and decided to make the trip to Newark or a curious young crownd that wants to see for themselves what this band is all about? Or perhaps a combination of both? What do you think Strider and Rock Action?

Thanks for letting me know about the Rich Stadium name change...it will always be Rich Stadium to me, too. Saw a lot of OJ Simpson "The Juice and the Electric Company"-era Buffalo Bills games on tv growing up in the 70s. Bills vs. Dolphins or Bills vs. Raiders games were always shown in L.A. It helped that L.A. didn't have an AFC team.

Now...about the Stones. The 1978 tour was normally 90-100 minutes, no encore, and most of the outdoor stadium gigs were afternoon affairs. Anaheim Stadium was also during the day...and since it was late July, it was HOTTER than Hell. Peter Tosh and I think the Outlaws were the openers. So you still got a good day of music...although I thought the Stones sounded weird and slightly anemic, compared to past shows. Maybe it was the acoustics of Anaheim Stadium or a faulty PA system, but they didn't sound as good as they did in 1972 and 1975. Which was too bad, as I loved the "Some Girls" album.

The Stones were known for rarely playing encores back then, so Buffalo wasn't being buffaloed...that was the S.O.P. of the Stones then. Hell, in 1972 their concert barely lasted 70-80 minutes.

As for why tickets sell out now even when they are priced sky-high, there are several factors.

1. Many of these tix are bought by scalpers, professional and amateur alike, looking to make a killing on the secondary market.

2. This ties in with #1...there will always be enough rich yuppies and retirees and corporate types who use a Stones concert as a lure to woo a client. Go to any Stones show nowadays and a significant percentage of the audience are lawyers, agents, CEOs, and other business muckety-mucks taking clients or potential clients to the concert and later writing off the cost as a business expense. That's why contemporary Stones concert audiences are lame and boring...it's a bunch of rich entitled jerks who just want to hear "Satisfaction" and pretend they're rebels. They're about as rock and roll as a Brooks Brothers suit.

3. Another sizable segment of a Stones concert since 1989 is made up of families...moms and dads taking their kids or even grandparents and grandkids, all in a bid to recapture those fading days of youth and the last glowing embers of the 60s. A writer made a good point in 1981 and it is just as true now, maybe even truer...the Stones are the last band standing. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd are not fully functioning bands...whether due to death, personal conflicts or whatever. The Rolling Stones are all that's left of the major groups that formed the backbone of the "classic rock" era. So they are the beneficiary of all the pentup love and nostalgia for that time that people have. To all the old hippies, or people that wished they could have lived in the 60s, going to a Stones concert is just about all they have left.

4. The Stones branding is second to none...only Kiss is in their league as far as selling their name and image on everything from here to Timbuktu. So generations and generations of people have been brainwashed with the slogan of The Rolling Stones as the 'world's greatest rock and roll band', when they bear not the slightest resemblance to the band that forged that reputation from 1962-73. So there's always gonna be people who go just so they can say they went to a Stones concert, even though they couldn't name 5 songs. They just have heard they're the 'world's greatest rock n roll band' and that's all that matters. It's the hype and the place to be seen to these people. They couldn't care less about the music.

Thanks for letting me know about the Rich Stadium name change...it will always be Rich Stadium to me, too. Saw a lot of OJ Simpson "The Juice and the Electric Company"-era Buffalo Bills games on tv growing up in the 70s. Bills vs. Dolphins or Bills vs. Raiders games were always shown in L.A. It helped that L.A. didn't have an AFC team.

Now...about the Stones. The 1978 tour was normally 90-100 minutes, no encore, and most of the outdoor stadium gigs were afternoon affairs. Anaheim Stadium was also during the day...and since it was late July, it was HOTTER than Hell. Peter Tosh and I think the Outlaws were the openers. So you still got a good day of music...although I thought the Stones sounded weird and slightly anemic, compared to past shows. Maybe it was the acoustics of Anaheim Stadium or a faulty PA system, but they didn't sound as good as they did in 1972 and 1975. Which was too bad, as I loved the "Some Girls" album.

The Stones were known for rarely playing encores back then, so Buffalo wasn't being buffaloed...that was the S.O.P. of the Stones then. Hell, in 1972 their concert barely lasted 70-80 minutes.

As for why tickets sell out now even when they are priced sky-high, there are several factors.

1. Many of these tix are bought by scalpers, professional and amateur alike, looking to make a killing on the secondary market.

2. This ties in with #1...there will always be enough rich yuppies and retirees and corporate types who use a Stones concert as a lure to woo a client. Go to any Stones show nowadays and a significant percentage of the audience are lawyers, agents, CEOs, and other business muckety-mucks taking clients or potential clients to the concert and later writing off the cost as a business expense. That's why contemporary Stones concert audiences are lame and boring...it's a bunch of rich entitled jerks who just want to hear "Satisfaction" and pretend they're rebels. They're about as rock and roll as a Brooks Brothers suit.

3. Another sizable segment of a Stones concert since 1989 is made up of families...moms and dads taking their kids or even grandparents and grandkids, all in a bid to recapture those fading days of youth and the last glowing embers of the 60s. A writer made a good point in 1981 and it is just as true now, maybe even truer...the Stones are the last band standing. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd are not fully functioning bands...whether due to death, personal conflicts or whatever. The Rolling Stones are all that's left of the major groups that formed the backbone of the "classic rock" era. So they are the beneficiary of all the pentup love and nostalgia for that time that people have. To all the old hippies, or people that wished they could have lived in the 60s, going to a Stones concert is just about all they have left.

4. The Stones branding is second to none...only Kiss is in their league as far as selling their name and image on everything from here to Timbuktu. So generations and generations of people have been brainwashed with the slogan of The Rolling Stones as the 'world's greatest rock and roll band', when they bear not the slightest resemblance to the band that forged that reputation from 1962-73. So there's always gonna be people who go just so they can say they went to a Stones concert, even though they couldn't name 5 songs. They just have heard they're the 'world's greatest rock n roll band' and that's all that matters. It's the hype and the place to be seen to these people. They couldn't care less about the music.

I agree to an extent. But if you pay $650 a ticket I beg to differ they will care if they stink up the joint. Ron Wood will not allow that I am sure. It shows me that Zeppelin would sell out in 3 minutes if they played that venue. And they would sound ten times better as I am sure you are well aware. But nice write up Strider as always.

I agree with what you've said Strider. If I may add, I think there is also the Bad Boy image for a lot of people of a certain vintage. Not too dangerous but dangerous enough . Personally, since 72/73 you couldn't have paid me to go see them . Still, up to and including the Exile tour, I'd have paid anything to see them and I did. Took my life into my hands to get tickets for the 72 show in Vancouver and it was well worth it.

I agree with what you've said Strider. If I may add, I think there is also the Bad Boy image for a lot of people of a certain vintage. Not too dangerous but dangerous enough . Personally, since 72/73 you couldn't have paid me to go see them . Still, up to and including the Exile tour, I'd have paid anything to see them and I did. Took my life into my hands to get tickets for the 72 show in Vancouver and it was well worth it.

Seeing the Stones in '72 was one of the only times I feared for my life at a concert. The difference between a Stones crowd back then and now is almost unfathomable.