Trampled Underfoot

JimmyPageZoSo56

Upon further review, the O2 performance very well might be my favorite version ever of Trampled Underfoot. Between the altered syncopation of Plant's vocal delivery and that spitfire attack Page delivers after Jones' keyboard solo kicks into the instrumental section, it is certainly one of those songs that makes you stagger backwards like you've just been slugged across the face with a 2x4.

WOW. I am definitely in the minority about this topic. All you guys love the Earls Court faster tempoed rushed version. I dislike it intensely. Is it a male thing?

The studio version is perfection. I crank that song up loud when it's in my car. What a fabulous driving song.

I agree with your criticism. The tempo starts out pretty fast and sounds like it picks up even more speed in the last third of the song. In the studio version you don't hear a waver or a speed up. I can't compare bootleg recordings---I'm talking about the official DVD version-----I love the Earl's Court stuff but I think Trampled does have tempo problems.

Man, just got finished cranking TU from March 19, '75 Vancouver!

IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crank this puppy UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ears are shot but it was worth it.......

I didn't like the song "Trampled Underfoot" until I heard the live version from the 1975 Earls Court concert on the DVD! I never really cared for it when I first heard it off the "Physical Graffiti" album. Then I saw it on the DVD and was blown away! What puts it miles above the record version IMO is the jam in the middle. It's possibly the best thing I've EVER heard! And somehow the first minute of the jam always sound a little different every time I hear it!

WOW. I am definitely in the minority about this topic. All you guys love the Earls Court faster tempoed rushed version. I dislike it intensely. Is it a male thing?

The studio version is perfection. I crank that song up loud when it's in my car. What a fabulous driving song.

I had that song cranked in the car sometime in the 80's, and didn't notice an ambulance behind me. By the time they got around me, they were giving me the finger. :(

• 1 year later...

I wish just once the Plant could could've sung Trampled Underfoot with that same, or close to the same raspiness and rawness that was on the album. Which I haven't heard yet.

In terms of Plants vocals, is therer any version where you feel that his voice had that raspy sound like in the album?

Zurich '80 is really good, but its really difficult to pick 1 and say this is the best since they're all different. Great track to jam and stretch out on. Want to know an absolutely bitchin' version? 4/17/88, Plant solo with Jimmy as guest. Fantastic. They also did Misty, "Gamblers Blues", and Rock n Roll. So its not Zep but worth looking out for.

Man, just got finished cranking TU from March 19, '75 Vancouver!

IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crank this puppy UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ears are shot but it was worth it.......

YEEEESSSS! March 19th, 1975 is my FAVORITE boot! And Trampled Underfoot from this show is one of the best performances ever! and yes, the song is quite loud already, even before, eh, "cranking it up!"

I was listening to the Valentine's Day '75 version earlier, it just smokes. Love Pagey's different approach to it that night. Earl's Court (5/24) is probably my all-time fav. because it is so frantic and with the Gallow's Pole lyrics - kinda reminds me of their early shows where Plant was singing whatever came to mind during their intense jams. :thumbsup:

Yes, I was there. They played the sports center in Bloomington Mn. the night before and St. Paul the next night. I went both nights and this great performance of "Tramped Under Foot" was a nice surprise, because they didn't do it the first night.

Do you remember the setlists from Bloomington and St. Paul at all? I can';t seem to find them.

• 3 weeks later...
I personally love the version of "Trampled Underfoot" they play at Earl's Court 5/25/75, the last night. Page, Jones and Bonzo were on fire. Jimmy's soloing was amzing and Robert hit the notes perfectly. any one have any thoughts?

Well, just imagine what Jimmy could have done with six strings...did u notice that by the end of the solo, he broke the last string?? check it out man!

Archived