BONHAM WARNS LED ZEP FANS NOT TO BE 'GREEDY'

robertkincaid96

This is sort of the same stuff I read in other posts. All the news lately is just exciting and entertaining to read and try and keep up with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JASON BONHAM - BONHAM WARNS LED ZEP FANS NOT TO BE 'GREEDY'

Drummer JASON BONHAM is urging LED ZEPPELIN fans not to be "greedy" as the internet heats up with reunion tour stories. The veteran rockers have so far refused to confirm rumours of a 2008 world tour, following their triumphant live return at a benefit concert in London earlier this month (Dec07), and Bonham is tiring of all the speculation. Bonham, the son of Led Zeppelin's original drummer, John, who died in 1980, insists fans should be lucky the group reunited at all. He says, "I'm still the new guy and I wouldn't know (if they're planning a tour). Is it gonna be (happening) again? Don't be greedy... "If they do it again, of course I would love to (join them). But that's up to them. Only time will tell." And Bonham admits he is still trying to come to terms with the overwhelming experience of the 10 December concert: "It kinda feels surreal, like it never really happened in some way... (I was) amazed I pulled it off."

Link

Here's got a point.

Jason if you read this,

I'd love a tour but if I don't get one, so be it. You did amazing at the show, I wasn't there though, I just saw it on youtube. But thanks for doing so well, your dad would be proud.

How cool must it have been for jason at that ...he got to play drums for i'm sure his favorite band of all time, and at the same time pay tribute to his dad...personally, professionally, and as a fan, that had to be the most fantastic experience...

and he sounded damn good....I like how he's watching out for the guys...I think this tour is probably very close to happening...but i'm not going to put my heart into it....until I have the tickets in hand...

merry christmas everyone!!

This is sort of the same stuff I read in other posts. All the news lately is just exciting and entertaining to read and try and keep up with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JASON BONHAM - BONHAM WARNS LED ZEP FANS NOT TO BE 'GREEDY'

Drummer JASON BONHAM is urging LED ZEPPELIN fans not to be "greedy" as the internet heats up with reunion tour stories. The veteran rockers have so far refused to confirm rumours of a 2008 world tour, following their triumphant live return at a benefit concert in London earlier this month (Dec07), and Bonham is tiring of all the speculation. Bonham, the son of Led Zeppelin's original drummer, John, who died in 1980, insists fans should be lucky the group reunited at all. He says, "I'm still the new guy and I wouldn't know (if they're planning a tour). Is it gonna be (happening) again? Don't be greedy... "If they do it again, of course I would love to (join them). But that's up to them. Only time will tell." And Bonham admits he is still trying to come to terms with the overwhelming experience of the 10 December concert: "It kinda feels surreal, like it never really happened in some way... (I was) amazed I pulled it off."

Link

Amen, brother! I bet you're more sick of this shit than any of us possibly could be. Hope it doesn't drive you nuts.

As I'm sitting listening to the concert and reading the various posts here it's very obvious that there are Zeppelin fans on many, many levels....from foaming at the mouth rabid for anything......the "gotta have anything" types, NOW!!....to the laid back types....take a toke or swig......if it happens it happens....the extreme to the lackadaisical. All bound together by the immediacy of the internet, youtube, audio and video torrents......there were those who were there, and those who can only experience it after the fact. But now time has passed and everyone is at the same point.......what next???? When???? And I'm thinking...... Jimmy, Robert, and John are of a different generation... I doubt they spend much time on the internet or forums.......yet they've got to be aware of the ruckus....but when you think about all that has happened, this is all new territory, is'nt it? We are all experiencing something never before ........What other band has had this kind of fanatical following? The Rolling Bones??? They have been jettisoned to the dust heap as far as I'm concerned. They never compared in their day and they are an abomination.......It's probably not an overstatement Zeppelin had no idea that there is such rabidness over them....and they've never dealt with this level of immediacy in it all. Who else is there? Can't think of anyone else that's had this coverage, enthusiasm, etc. These guy's are the Zenith of it all......what they end up doing will be new ground broken.....till the end. Only hope they do something before it's too late. Now back to another beer and disc 2!!!!

The tour, if there is to be one, would be sensational.

I just hate that the tickets were so hard to come by that a raffle/auction was needed.

I would hope to get some ducats for a show, if there is a tour.

And you don't want them to play in some arena that's so huge that there is no intimacy.

There may not be any middle ground.

God, I'd love to see a show live.

And yes, JasonB. did fine.

Just fine.

Of course Fans are Greedy. Just do the Math! 20 Million People tried to get tickets. That means that one in a thousand got a ticket. I'm sure that if they had decided to have it at MSG another 20 million from this side of the pond would have tried to go. That is 40 million people that want to see Led Zeppelin in concert. If they went on tour playing a 50,000 seat stadiums in Europe they (based on the numbers) would need to play 400 shows to play for 20 million. And they would sell out all the tickets for all 400 shows the first week @ $125 = 2.5 B dollars. Add another 400 shows on this side of the pond and that's 5 Billion. Supply simply can't meet demand! No way are they going to perform 800 shows but just one show is just rude....when you considered how many Million fans are NOT lining up to see Plant and what's her name next year.

For every story on this board about someone making the 02 concert there are 999 people who missed out. The only good news is no news, but rather a pattern - a pattern of Led Zeppelin making decisions as a band for the first time since they broke up 27 years ago. Whether or not it has been admitted by the Band they are once again reunited as a business. They have a manager. They have a website. They have a myspace site. They have proved that they were the best....and still are the best. Is Led Zeppelin Hungry (Greedy) too? As long as the music lives up and with Jason I think they have finally found a person that can fit into the greatest band in the world.

If they went on tour playing at 50,000 seat stadiums in Europe they (based on the numbers) would need to play 400 shows to play for 20 million.

There's another problem with the numbers. I went to the O2 show and all it did is make me want to see them again and again and again. How ever many shows they play, they won't ever even begin to reduce the backlog of people that want to see them!

So, er, better get started soon lads. :unsure:

Of course Fans are Greedy. Just do the Math! 20 Million People tried to get tickets. That means that one in a thousand got a ticket. I'm sure that if they had decided to have it at MSG another 20 million from this side of the pond would have tried to go. That is 40 million people that want to see Led Zeppelin in concert. If they went on tour playing a 50,000 seat stadiums in Europe they (based on the numbers) would need to play 400 shows to play for 20 million. And they would sell out all the tickets for all 400 shows the first week @ $125 = 2.5 B dollars. Add another 400 shows on this side of the pond and that's 5 Billion. Supply simply can't meet demand! No way are they going to perform 800 shows but just one show is just rude....when you considered how many Million fans are NOT lining up to see Plant and what's her name next year.

For every story on this board about someone making the 02 concert there are 999 people who missed out. The only good news is no news, but rather a pattern - a pattern of Led Zeppelin making decisions as a band for the first time since they broke up 27 years ago. Whether or not it has been admitted by the Band they are once again reunited as a business. They have a manager. They have a website. They have a myspace site. They have proved that they were the best....and still are the best. Is Led Zeppelin Hungry (Greedy) too? As long as the music lives up and with Jason I think they have finally found a person that can fit into the greatest band in the world.

These numbers reflect the demand of a one-off show; a once in a lifetime event. Not to downplay the numbers, but would the demand be as urgent if an 18 month tour were announced? In any event, 20M people tried to get 'two' tickets. The demand was twice as much but doesn't change the impossibility to supply it.

The 02 show was a charity event planned well before Led Zeppelin were even asked to perform. They did so at the request of Mica Ertegun to pay tribute to their friend and mentor Ahmet Ertegun and in honor of the Bonham family. How is that RUDE? I would say that you are RUDE for your ridiculous implication to the contrary. Nobody anticipated the 'demand'.

Robert Plant is touring with Alison Krauss. Again, don't be RUDE. You're comparing apples to oranges. Consider this, Web. When have you ever in history seen millions of fans lining up to see any performer? NEVER, it's unprecedented.

FYI, Led Zeppelin has never stopped making business decisions. And, I might add, there's much more to running any business than having a manager, a website and a myspace page.

Is Led Zeppelin Hungry (Greedy) too? This is just too dumb for comment.

Maybe what looks like greed is really love & desire times alot of people mixed with instant communication.

Agree about Jason, it was never possible at all before, but now, he's proved Zeppelin can fly again.

The numbers are frightening, though. No way to satisfy the love and demand, is there, really? But is that a reason for not satisfying some??

(BTW - there's no need to be rude to Robert and Allison, that's just a different kettle of fish.)

There's another problem with the numbers. I went to the O2 show and all it did is make me want to see them again and again and again. How ever many shows they play, they won't ever even begin to reduce the backlog of people that want to see them!

So, er, better get started soon lads. :unsure:

:D Seriously.

Right on!!!

My point was that demand has always exceeded supply with Led Zeppelin and it always will, and the bottle is open.

I was lucky enough to see them in 1977 in Pontiac Silverdome with 80k fans and it sold out in a few hours. I was talking with the guy I went with yesterday and as we were about 20 yards from the stage it was an experience I’ll never forget. It was a different time and attitude as the place was filled with smoke, (not from Dried Ice) and big burley guys beat the crap out of anyone getting to close to the stage!

I’d drive, fly or hitch-hike to NY or LA to see them again but I wouldn’t go to a free concert just to see one member of the band sing country western, - or any other country western band.

It was rude and selfish to not include JPJ when Plant and Page toured a few years ago and NOW they have a chance to rebuild. I could have gone to see Plant and Page but what is the point? Without JPJ they are a fraction of the greatest blues band in the world. It just ticked me off when Jason said by having Hope we are being greedy when everyone knows ONLY one person is holding up a Led Zeppelin world tour and must think we enjoy checking three or four links 15 or 20 times a day for any news either saying the band is Dead and has probably done it’s last show, or give us some good news. Now that it rude!

My point was that demand has always exceeded supply with Led Zeppelin and it always will, and the bottle is open.

I was lucky enough to see them in 1977 in Pontiac Silverdome with 80k fans and it sold out in a few hours. I was talking with the guy I went with yesterday and as we were about 20 yards from the stage it was an experience I’ll never forget. It was a different time and attitude as the place was filled with smoke, (not from Dried Ice) and big burley guys beat the crap out of anyone getting to close to the stage!

I’d drive, fly or hitch-hike to NY or LA to see them again but I wouldn’t go to a free concert just to see one member of the band sing country western, - or any other country western band.

Wrong. It's in no way country western.

It was rude and selfish to not include JPJ when Plant and Page toured a few years ago and NOW they have a chance to rebuild. I could have gone to see Plant and Page but what is the point? Without JPJ they are a fraction of the greatest blues band in the world. It just ticked me off when Jason said by having Hope we are being greedy when everyone knows ONLY one person is holding up a Led Zeppelin world tour and must think we enjoy checking three or four links 15 or 20 times a day for any news either saying the band is Dead and has probably done it’s last show, or give us some good news. Now that it rude!

First of all, the contractmusic article in the original post was nicked and twisted from the following Billboard article.

Bonham: 'Time Will Tell' If Zep Keeps Playing

December 18, 2007, 11:45 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Still buzzing from Led Zeppelin's reunion show on Dec. 10 in London, drummer Jason Bonham says he's the wrong guy to ask about any future plans for the group.

"I'm still the new guy, and I wouldn't know," Bonham -- whose late father, John Bonham, was Zep's original drummer -- tells Billboard.com. "There's been no talks except to Jimmy (Page) and Robert (Plant) and John Paul (Jones), just to say thanks for the best Christmas present I could ask for. It really meant a lot to me."

"Is it gonna be again? Don't be greedy," he continues. "You just take it for what you've done and be proud to be part of that. If they do it again, of course I would love to. But that's up to them. Only time will tell. If you'd have asked me a year ago, 'Are they gonna do a date next year?,' I'd have gone, 'No way!' So I was proved wrong once before."

Bonham says that even a week after the show, the experience "still ... kinda feels surreal, like it never really happened in some way." But he does feel that the show, part of a tribute to the late Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, provided some vindication after what he felt was a sub-par performance with Zep at the Atlantic Records' 40th anniversary concert in 1988 in New York.

"I had to work at it, really prove that I could do it and not just say, 'Hey, I'm John Bonham's son. I should be doing it,'" he explains. "I put a lot of work into it ... listening to all the different live versions I had. You've got to earn this, 'cause there's a million drummers out there that would love to cut your throat right now and take over."

"I'm amazed. I pulled it off," he enthuses. "So it's very special for me, just ... everything. If you'd have wanted a moment for everyone to get it right at one point, that was it."

Bonham returns to his regular drum chair in Foreigner at the end of the month for a couple of shows in Florida -- where he and his family reside -- including a New Year's Eve date with the B-52's at the Universal Studios Citywalk in Orlando. That show will be broadcast live by Comcast's CN8 network at 9 p.m. EST.

Led Zeppelin tour rumors continue to persist. The latest comes out of the U.K., where the group is reportedly considering a series of stadium shows. But nothing has yet been confirmed, and Plant has already begun scheduling late spring shows with Alison Krauss.

================================================================

In context, as you can see, Jason wasn't referring to 'fans.' He was referring to himself. Don't work yourself into a tizzy about everything you read. 98% of it is bull shit. You know how the media was in regards to Led Zeppelin back in the day. The only thing that's changed is the speed and breadth in which it's published. It goes viral in minutes.

Secondly, it really is too soon to be expecting news of a tour when it's hardly been two weeks since the 02 gig. Tours take time to negotiate and plan. They're not going to announce anything half-assed. If they did, THAT would be rude. Whatever they announce, people are still going to be whining about it.

Thirdly, Robert bashing will only make him more disinclined to tour with LZ.

But it wasn't done as anything against JPJ when Robert and Jimmy toured and worked together. They didn't want it to be viewed as a Zep reunion and let's face it, having JPJ would have. And so what - the two of them decided to work together and see what they could do. Shame because you missed some great shows.

I'm so sick of all this Robert bashing and accusations of how rude or selfish he's being. Crap it's his life and his career. He's got a great album with Alison and I'm very much looking forward to seeing that tour. Sure if Zep tours, I'd get tickets but I'm not going to be angry if it doesn't.

Archived