Pink Floyd to Challenge Led Zeppelin to “More Significant Reunion” Battle?

The Pagemeister

Pink Floyd to Challenge Led Zeppelin to “More Significant Reunion” Battle?

The battle of the rock reunions might be on. While Led Zeppelin figures out what their next move is following their triumphant performance at London’s O2 Arena, Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has opened the door to future Floyd shows. Literally. Mason told XFM that 2005’s Live 8 event “showed that the door can be opened” for future Floyd reunions. It took an event as large as Live 8 (and Hell freezing over) for Pink Floyd to reunite for the first time in twenty-one years back in 2005, and it’ll likely take an event of equal or greater magnitude to get the band together a second time. “If there was a suitable reason or things change a bit in the next year or two and everybody suddenly thinks, ‘Well, actually, I really would like to do that’ then I think it’ll happen,” Mason explained, but “the only thing that would generate it would be something the equivalent of Live 8.” As for the band’s aborted reunion at last year’s Syd Barrett tribute, Mason, who moonlights as a rock fantasy-camp counselor, blames bad timing, and not ill will, for that failed get-together. “Roger [Waters] was on at Earls Court the next day and so he’d arranged to go on early [at the tribute gig] and Dave [Gilmour] couldn’t get there ’til late … so everything conspired against us but it wasn’t a case of ‘We’re not going to play together,’” Mason explained. So will a reunited Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin exist in the same universe? When pigs fly, maybe.

Again nothin against The Floyd I love em but they are not in the same league when it comes to a Led Zepplin reunion. The Mighty Zepplin has been disbanded since 1980 and Floyd in one way or another has been touring semi-regularly.

So there is no contest here as far as I am concerned.

RjK

The reason Floyd isn't as relevant to me as a live act is that they rely heavily on extra faceless musicians to fill in their sound. So what you get live is more of a well-rehearsed broadway production than the output of a coherent rock band.

and it's not gonna happen. Nick Mason is saying "maybe", but the person who it's really up to, David Gilmour, said that while the Zep reunion was great, it's not inspring him to want to reunite Floyd. Bottom line, he's not interested.
At the end of the recent BBC "which ones pink" documentary, when asked if PF will ever do anything ever again, Dave Gilmour said "Anything can happen".... so ....maybe.... you never know.

The Floyd of the 70's was essentially a 4 piece and they produced more sound, and that sound was better, than what we get from the last few 'albums' that they passed off as Pink Floyd.

I think Pink Floyd without Waters was "shambolic"

Floyd are much more capable of producing a good new album.

Right and Zeppelin are much more capable of producing a great album and performing it live without the reliance of an army of back-up musicians.

I just hope if we hear anything from floyd again it aint the same old David Gilmour sound or Roger's ranting

Again nothin against The Floyd I love em but they are not in the same league when it comes to a Led Zepplin reunion. The Mighty Zepplin has been disbanded since 1980 and Floyd in one way or another has been touring semi-regularly.

So there is no contest here as far as I am concerned.

RjK

perfect!

I agree completely

no contest at all :thumbdown:

Right and Zeppelin are much more capable of producing a great album and performing it live without the reliance of an army of back-up musicians.

I just hope if we hear anything from floyd again it aint the same old David Gilmour sound or Roger's ranting

I'd be leery of an album from either band... but more so from the Floyd, because they've already failed 3 times in a row.

(that didn't stop me from buying those albums though... :rolleyes: )

The problem with Floyd is that they had to find a way to constantly top Dark Side of the Moon. Their band identity had shifted from acid rock to philosophy, reaching its pinnacle in The Wall. After The Wall, what is next? They kept on trying to find new philosophical topics to cover (Roger solo as well) and it's kind of a dead-end. They are kind of the rock equivalent of Star Trek. Just as Star Trek became rote and formulaic, and lost sight of it being entertainment, so did Floyd.

I thought the peak was WYWH. Animals tried to go further but the music quality was slipping. The Wall was way to conscious of itself; the lyrics were i dunno, Waters lost his ability at evocative wordplay or something cause the lyrics were more whiny and myjournal like.

I think Pink Floyd without Waters was "shambolic"

i agree iam a lifelong floyd fan and i have been lucky enough to se pink floyd (waters,mason,gilmour& wright) and in the gilmour led period. i have also seen roger waters live several times. without roger the band just sound so weak.

i was lucky enough to go to l;ive 8 to witness the reunion & and to see zeppelin at the 02 for the reunion. i am truly blessed lol

I enjoy the 2 Post-Waters Floyd albums very much. In fact, there isn't a FLoyd album I dislike. Not even The Final Cut.

They are just like Zeppelin, in that every one of their albums has something for me to like.

i agree iam a lifelong floyd fan and i have been lucky enough to se pink floyd (waters,mason,gilmour& wright) and in the gilmour led period. i have also seen roger waters live several times. without roger the band just sound so weak.

i was lucky enough to go to l;ive 8 to witness the reunion & and to see zeppelin at the 02 for the reunion. i am truly blessed lol

I like Gilmour's On an Island,think it is some of his best work since The Wall

Archived