Why No Acoustic Set?

MHD

I've had a trawl through the O2 topics and haven't seen a reference to this yet..but apologies if it's already been answered somewhere, just let me know where to look.

So...why? Was there a specific reason that we got no That's The Way, Gallows Pole, Going To California, etc..

I've had a trawl through the O2 topics and haven't seen a reference to this yet..but apologies if it's already been answered somewhere, just let me know where to look.

So...why? Was there a specific reason that we got no That's The Way, Gallows Pole, Going To California, etc..

I think it must have been discussed but disguarded.

Remember, the concert could not have gone on all night.Some people had to catch trains,planes, and.... airships . :)

Not everyone were working to Zeppelins timetable.The concert had to finish at a reasonable hour.

But yes, it would have been great if they could have done it, even though I have a sneeking feeling that it wouldn't have been on most concert-goers wish list.

Who remembers a time when Zeppelins skill in acoustic music was actually rivalled, both in heart and spirit by some other very good music of their contemporaries?.

How many Zeppelin fans went on to investigate the music of Fairport Conventon or the Incredible String Band? Bert Jansch? Anne Briggs? Pentangle?

Far too few I deem!

Folk music, as good as it may be, is not the crowd pleaser it once was.

Thats a good question, remember they havent played in a while so it might have boiled down to "which songs do you think they'll listen to"

Yes they were always going not please everyone with songs they didn't play. I think 2 hrs ten mins was a good length for the show , though ramble on is half acoustic, Page played it on electric !! I am just thankful they played any songs !!

thats true to, but i hope if they do go on the road that they grab the acoustics to because it wouldnt be zep without em, And it solves alot of they're worries about playing old songs like they use to. im pretty sure plant could hit most if not all acoustics sets vocally and so could page guitar wise. and the rest falls into place with jpj on madolin and bonham jr on drums if nessasary or not. i know id be there. in a heart beat. i dont really understand people being picky about zep music, i mean to each thier own but it all comes from looking onwards to the stage but to be on stage is another story and to change as many things ad zep did, acoustics was just natural part of what they wanted thier music to sound like.

We all want zep to go on tour right, let em do it on their terms with thier music, its worked before no?

that would be cool, agian its down to whos listening to it and what they feel like they wanna play but i mean they come on these forums and see that we want some acoustics songs im sure if its possible it'll be done. Im sure hes dying to get on the old acoustic anyways. Man id LOVE to see a set with just the mandolin and the guitar and vocals i think that would be such a sweet session.

like I said in my other post....that the 02 show was suppose to be similar to the 1980 USA tour.

the idea was to cut all the excess from the show, (which would include an acoustic set)

and to just keep it as hard rockin' as possible.

kind of like slam/slam/slam

knock you over the head, leave you dazed and confused***

I think they skipped the acoustic set at the O2 because Page was already worried enough about the bad acoustics in the O2, changing setup with mikes, etc, may have complicated an already touchy issue. They probably wanted to concentrate on an electric set only to just kick ass flat out and not gamble with an equally challenging task of making the acoustics clear and smooth, they had enough pressure as it is. If they play a few more dates, you'll probably see the acoustic set come back once they work the kinks out of their sound system logistics. I think it was logistical, they could do it, but they didn't want to gamble and get too ambitious with this particular O2 reunion show, it was ambitious enough already with that great setlist they played.

Yeah id love to hear his voice now in an acoistic set with zep it would solve alot his voice issues and satisfy all our dreams. But i doupt if they do tour that they wont do an acoustic it will save alot of energy on the tour and aswell let us see that side we love so much.

All and all i mean the least we can hope for is a new studio record because wit the sucess they are having now it just seems right.

• 3 weeks later...
I would've loved them to do the little acoustic section, as well as White Summer, but hey...we can't have everything!

And I'm certainly not gonna complain about what we did get, so whatever like!

:D

WS would have been great, still a Awesome Autumn at the O2 :P

I'm actually glad they didn't do it. It seems like their concerts had gotten rather formulaic: the bow thing, the acoustic thing, the boogie woogie stuff in Whole Lotta Love, etc.

They came out with something unexpected, something they hadn't played in a long time, followed it with something they rarely played in concert, followed by a beefier live version of Black Dog. They played a song for the first time live, kept Dazed and Confused relatively short, played some stuff slower than before, giving it a dark, grittier edge, et.

All that translated into a fresh, more powerful show.

An acoustic set would have screwed that all up. People would have been loudly singing along, making the whole thing annoying.

I think they skipped the acoustic set at the O2 because Page was already worried enough about the bad acoustics in the O2, changing setup with mikes, etc, may have complicated an already touchy issue.

I've thought about this, and came to the same conclusion.

Personally I would have loved an acoustic set, and in the pause before STH I thought maybe they were going to provide one, but...hell I ain't complaining about what we did get!

I could genuinely put together a set list of the songs I would like to hear at a Led Zep gig and it would probably take them five hours to play it. :D

I'm actually glad they didn't do it. It seems like their concerts had gotten rather formulaic: the bow thing, the acoustic thing, the boogie woogie stuff in Whole Lotta Love, etc.

They came out with something unexpected, something they hadn't played in a long time, followed it with something they rarely played in concert, followed by a beefier live version of Black Dog. They played a song for the first time live, kept Dazed and Confused relatively short, played some stuff slower than before, giving it a dark, grittier edge, et.

All that translated into a fresh, more powerful show.

An acoustic set would have screwed that all up. People would have been loudly singing along, making the whole thing annoying.

I agree, the show was great as it was. There is acoustic material from -page/plant 95/98 on audio and youtube, not to mention acoustic set zep shows. I think the all electric show was great for a regrouping and a tribute to ahmet ertegun.

Zeppelin were always more than about just rocking out. Personally I would have discarded the overlong In My Time Of Dying (never a song I much cared for) and Nobody's Fault But Mine in favour of a 3 song acoustic piece, or at least a gentler more reflective segment (Tangerine, Thank You etc).

Mothership kind of pissed me off as well........when they went for all out rock for the most part, especially since Jimmy and co take pains to point out that Zeppelin were 'everything'.

I'm a huge fan of the acoustic set and will never tire of listening to the How The West Was Won version - not just the music but the vibe it creates. At first I was a little dissapointed that it was omitted from the O2 setlist but I think the set was probably more appropriate for the three hour shows Zeppelin used to play. Introducing even one acoustic song into a shorter set, especially a one off, can disrupt the pace and flow of a concert.

I wonder if for those marathon shows of the 1970s, the acoustic set had a secondary purpose of giving John Bonham a rest (while Moby Dick gave Robert Plant's voice a break). It still staggers me that the group could play so many long shows full of very demanding songs. Can you imagine a group today having the stamina (or even being bothered!) to take on such frequent and ardous tours of the US?

Back to the O2 set - I don't think anybody would have guessed the set list that they played so full marks to them for that. I was particurly impressed with For Your Life as with no other live 'benchmark' version hogging our memories, this for me was conclusive proof of just how good they still are and showed all the other rock legends that you really can still sound fresh.

Archived