Richard Cole

boylollipop

Having contrasted the book against other recollections, accounts and known facts I would say he has a penchant for embellishment and dramaticization. Precision is not

a strong suit, but all in all he can and does tell a fascinating tale of what it was like to have lived it.

I think Mr Cole gives himself to much credit in the book, and regardless of why he wrote it, there is still something to say about loyalty even in this day and age. That's just my personal opinion.

Loyalty can lead to a form of censorship. Restriction. And yes, in some circustances should be maintained.

I'm thinking the main issue in this thread is credibility of the content of the book. Of which, he definately revealed stuff loyalty would've prevented. Fun reading anyway...

I bought Hammer Of The Gods when it first appeared at the booksellers, and quite enjoyed reading it. I re-read it a few weeks ago, and i still enjoyed reading it, as i love accounts of bands on the road in the USA. Ian Hunter's Diary Of A Rock 'N' Roll Star was something in the same vein, but although a decent read, is far inferior to HOTG.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought Hammer Of The Gods when it first appeared at the booksellers, and quite enjoyed reading it. I re-read it a few weeks ago, and i still enjoyed reading it, as i love accounts of bands on the road in the USA. Ian Hunter's Diary Of A Rock 'N' Roll Star was something in the same vein, but although a decent read, is far inferior to HOTG.

I also enjoyed Hammer of the Gods, and still delve in from time to time, but only as a work of fiction with a glimmer of truth in it.I remember Robert in particular saying that it was a grim read and not the experience that he had.Zeppelin was for him, more about good humour and music and good times.

Cole made it seem more like an evil "Pact with the Devil" fantasy gossip orgy, and personified the recollections of a man who took far too many drugs than were good for him.

He confused much of his time with Zeppelin with other groups.

Surely everyone knows by now that Hermans Hermits were the true followers of the Great Beast Crowley;they did more drugs and abused more groupies in a week than Zeppelin did in 12 years! :D

Oh, and don't get me started on the London Symphony Orchestra!

I tire of the bad side of "boisterous Bonzo" getting all the press. From all I've spoken to who actually knew the man, he was the sweetheart of the group. Books like Hammer of the Gods and Stairway to Heaven focus in such a trashy, tabloid fashion on things. What makes these books garbage IMO, is the total disregard for the man Bonzo was the other 99% of the time. Yeah, there was craziness and chaos, and moments of acting out. But as I understand from the people who actually met him, and had nothing to gain by discussing it, John Bonham was a dear, sweet man. They leave that out of those books. That's why they don't receive my endorsement. That and the whole blood oath shit. Satan. Spare me. Occult? Yes. At least on Jimmy's part. But any student of the occult knows that there are many avenues that have fuck all to do with the Devil. Wise up. Educate yourself and don't let this crap about Satan ruin the beautiful thing that is Zeppelin. Satan wasn't there, okay. Get over it. Magick? Ritual? Sure. But Satan? Only to the uninformed and the misled, and we can lump these books among those of the uninformed, the misled, or in the case of Richard Cole, the sensationalist advantagist (sic).

Probably because his book is the TRUTH as written by the artist himself, not sensationalist shite written by people trying to make money from scandal and gossip. I don't see the two books in the same vein at all.

Having contrasted the book against other recollections, accounts and known facts I would say he has a penchant for embellishment and dramaticization. Precision is not

a strong suit, but all in all he can and does tell a fascinating tale of what it was like to have lived it.

I think both books are tawdry and nasty myself. But embellishment might be a little mild--Jimmy said STH showed how someone could go into rehab a chronic alcoholic and come out a chronic liar. I think I trust him rather more than Cole.

Whew...this turned into yet another can of worms.

I'll simply say that I found Cole's book very entertaining. Totally factual or not. It beat the crap out of Davis' pile of bullshit.

With that said, I'm fully aware that both books contained tons of hyperbole and other assorted "stories". Most books of this nature are, unless written by the musicians themselves. And even that is no guarantee.

Would anyone care to nominate which is the best book about Led Zeppelin's career disregarding these two involving input from Cole? I saw a bunch on Amazon but would appreciate if someone could sort the wheat from the chaff. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Would anyone care to nominate which is the best book about Led Zeppelin's career disregarding these two involving input from Cole? I saw a bunch on Amazon but would appreciate if someone could sort the wheat from the chaff. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

For all out there,

The authorized version and only book that Led Zeppelin has endorsed is "LED ZEP"

"LED ZEP" an autobiography by Ritchie Yorke. It is old and may be out of print by now; but as my manager and friend Ritchie, like the remaining member's are my friend's. I would say that for all the wackiness that they went through I can tell you if I were coming off stage and I needed anyone to kick somebodies ass for getting stupid Richard Cole might be the man. So if you can find it and I think Ritchie wrote one more book on the Zep go out and give it a whirl it will make that old Aussie happy and pay him back for a bath incident so long ago.

1976 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY

Metheun Publications

1993 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY Underwood-Miller

1999 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY

From Early Days to Page & Plant Revised edition Virgin Books

Japanese edition Shinko Music Pub. Co. Ltd.

1983 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

Metheun Publications

1993 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY Underwood-Miller

1999 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY

From Early Days to Page & Plant Revised edition Virgin Books

1983 Yorkie, Ritchie LED ZEPPELIN - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

Yes I am following You Steve but It's time to call it a night. I've got the original 76 book. Was it the first biography about the band ?

Yes I am following You Steve but It's time to call it a night. I've got the original 76 book. Was it the first biography about the band ?

I believe it was, although the American rock magazine 'Circus' published a Robert Plant biography titled 'Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin's Golden Boy' (written by Michael Gross)

around the same time (perhaps 1975).

I believe it was, although the American rock magazine 'Circus' published a Robert Plant biography titled 'Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin's Golden Boy' (written by Michael Gross)

around the same time (perhaps 1975).

Michael Gross. I'm surprised it wasn't Lisa Robinson

:D

Author Stephen Davis only paid Cole a meager $1,500 for his contributions to Hammer of the Gods, which is why 7 years later he republished his tales in 'Stairway to Heaven',

a book of his own. I enjoy both books, but the second one is more comprehensive.

once again mr jones has it right and in perspective i totally agree with him on coles book,the only thing i find hard to believe is bonzo drinking a two magnums of champayne and carrying onto the stage and then playing(anyone who plays knows you cant drink & play in time,dosent matter how good you are),the book does explain his eventual self destruction in a way?

:D

the book does explain his eventual self destruction in a way?

I've always viewed his loss as a tragic accident as opposed to self-destruction. It could

happen to anyone who falls asleep so intoxicated. Never took it to be a Presley-esque

end -- years of abuse to the point of destruction.

Archived