Best band that never really made it.

coogeeboy

Interesting, but rivals Zep and the Beatles?

Their first 6 albums were all classics for me with alot of good material after that aswell. Without them much of the best music of the past 30 years would not have been possible, Talkiing Heads, Joy Division/New Order, Public Image Ltd, Brian Eno, late period Talk Talk, Beta Band etc.

Their first 6 albums were all classics for me with alot of good material after that aswell. Without them much of the best music of the past 30 years would not have been possible, Talkiing Heads, Joy Division/New Order, Public Image Ltd, Brian Eno, late period Talk Talk, Beta Band etc.

They better be hot shit with those names thrown out there! Me currently...procuring...some Can due to this rousing endorsement.

How about anything Peter Green was attached to? The original Fleetwood Mac was easily one of the best bands ever.

They were one album away from being huge, freakin sad.

What are the chances that all 3 of your guitarists will go batshitts? :blink:

They were one album away from being huge, freakin sad.

What are the chances that all 3 of your guitarists will go batshitts? :blink:

ha! Yeah, wtf?

Aside from their "one-hit-wonder" status, Blind Melon never really made it; at least, they never got widespread acclaim for being the great band they are/were.

Holy hell are they weird. I just got all their 69-74 material and....yeah, its a project to dig em. Theres strong potential for diggosity though it will take a while.

I had Tago Mago for a year before I really started to enjoy them, when you get the the weirdness there are some very catchy melodies, riff's and grooves though.

XTC

Should have been big. Great pop/punk, early new wave with tight rythyms and sharp edges.

Matured/evolved into beatifully-crafted melodies and arrangements, paid particular attention to the complex detail of their background vocals which makes so many of their songs just stand out, classic pop in the great English songwriting traditions of Lennon/McCartney and Ray Davies.

There are several from that Punk/New Wave era that were good but never fully took hold, probably because their sound was too uncommercial or unprofessional:

The Stranglers

The Buzzcocks

The Replacements

Generation X

The dBs

Most of the others I would list have already been named...

Little Feat

Badfinger

Small Faces/Faces

Big Star

Stiff Little Fingers

The Kinks should have been bigger but I always thought they suffered from terrible production and, let's face it, some very lazy studio habits as far as the musicianship. Granted, they are considered as a classic band and its not as if they go totally unrecognized or anything, but I think if Ray had been a little more disciplined in the studio they could have fared better against their more famous contemporaries.

XTC

Should have been big. Great pop/punk, early new wave with tight rythyms and sharp edges.

Matured/evolved into beatifully-crafted melodies and arrangements, paid particular attention to the complex detail of their background vocals which makes so many of their songs just stand out, classic pop in the great English songwriting traditions of Lennon/McCartney and Ray Davies.

Seconded. B)

Probably a bit closer to made it posthumously, but Mother Love Bone and Jeff Buckley both could fall within this. Each released only one album that was critically heralded before their untimely demise.

Humble Pie --well basically anything involving Steve Marriott. Why his work or at least his work with The Pie isnt more popular than it is is beyond me.

Also, Pacific Gas & Electric -- one of the very best 60s blues rock bands. Their lead guitarist was a man by the name of Glenn Schwartz ---- whom I know personally and I watch him perform every week or so. I firmly believe he is one of the best guitarists ever to live, but the reason he is not popular outside of Cleveland, Ohio is of his own doing. Had he not gone crazy we'd be talking about him in the same way we talk about Page, Hendrix, Clapton, or Duane. Google him.

Humble Pie --well basically anything involving Steve Marriott. Why his work or at least his work with The Pie isnt more popular than it is is beyond me.

Also, Pacific Gas & Electric -- one of the very best 60s blues rock bands. Their lead guitarist was a man by the name of Glenn Schwartz ---- whom I know personally and I watch him perform every week or so. I firmly believe he is one of the best guitarists ever to live, but the reason he is not popular outside of Cleveland, Ohio is of his own doing. Had he not gone crazy we'd be talking about him in the same way we talk about Page, Hendrix, Clapton, or Duane. Google him.

There are a ton of great bands from the rust belt region (Pittsburgh to Detroit) that are huge regionally but never broke onto the national scene.

Archived