When will Jimmy Page,Robert Plant and John Paul Jones be knighted?

SCPLEDZEP

Is it not time that these legends are properly recognised by this country.They have knighted some really overated performers over the years who are famous only in their backyard but have failed to recognise these masters who have given pleasure to millions of thier fans all over the world

Is it not time that these legends are properly recognised by this country.They have knighted some really overated performers over the years who are famous only in their backyard but have failed to recognise these masters who have given pleasure to millions of thier fans all over the world

"Whats the Order of the Garter? Isn't that the can-can?"

"I think they've given up on people like us for things like that"

Zeppelin were once offered some sort of award for services to industry, in the 70s, but they refused it because it was too 'establishment', instead they accepted some gold records from the Trade Minister instead.

Zeppelin were once offered some sort of award for services to industry, in the 70s, but they refused it because it was too 'establishment', instead they accepted some gold records from the Trade Minister instead.

Yeah, as mentioned on another thread about this topic, I'm guessing that the members of Led Zeppelin continue to refuse honours for services to music. Jimmy's OBE is for his charity work. I don't believe it's possible that a band as big as Led Zep can have been overlooked while, for example, Kylie just got an OBE for services to music.

Yeah, as mentioned on another thread about this topic, I'm guessing that the members of Led Zeppelin continue to refuse honours for services to music. Jimmy's OBE is for his charity work. I don't believe it's possible that a band as big as Led Zep can have been overlooked while, for example, Kylie just got an OBE for services to music.

What are the criteria for knighthood anyway? Apparently there are a set number of Knights allowed at any one time, so they would have to wait till another knight died.

Would they give a knighthood to all 4, including Bonzo?

I guess there's nothing they've done that Mick Jagger hasn't . . . but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It would be a bit naive to think that it's only about what they have or haven't done, wouldn't it?...

On the other hand, I see absolutely no reason why ANY of the rock stars should be knighted.

What are the criteria for knighthood anyway? Apparently there are a set number of Knights allowed at any one time, so they would have to wait till another knight died.

I think it's only one class of knights which has a limited number. Order of the Garter. See Wiki. The type they give to musicians and that are honorific titles. It's still a fairly complicated procedure though. It's not just the Prime Minister thinking of a few people he likes.

I think it's only one class of knights which has a limited number. Order of the Garter. See Wiki. The type they give to musicians and that are honorific titles. It's still a fairly complicated procedure though. It's not just the Prime Minister thinking of a few people he likes.
Imagine,Prime Minister quoting 'Kashmir' then having a little laugh,then presenting Knighthoods to all Zep members (living & dead).

It would be a bit naive to think that it's only about what they have or haven't done, wouldn't it?...

From my admittedly limited understanding, Knighting is all about what a person has done, more specifically what they have done in service of the crown. I think quite often it's made clear at the time of the knighting what specific service the knighting is for; when Jimmy received his OBE (which is kind of like a baby knighthood), it was made clear that it was for his charity work and not Led Zeppelin.

The other way that it's about what you have or haven't done is what might disqualify you: things you've done that the crown doesn't want to endorse with a knighthood. Things like, say, Lori Maddox. Or a red snapper, perhaps.

But then again, they knighted Mick Jagger- and he's done all kinds of ridiculous things, like David Bowie for example. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

On the other hand, I see absolutely no reason why ANY of the rock stars should be knighted.

Well, if they give them out for charity work and they raise as much money as the next guy, fine. But not just for being rock stars, I agree. I didn't read too much about McCartney and Elton John and Jagger to know what it was for, the whole thing seems a bit frivolous.

LED ZEPPELIN NEEDS TO DO A STADIUM ONLY REUNION TOUR AROUND THE WORLD FOR CHARITY AND WHEN THEY RETURN TO ENGLISH SOIL ON A BIG 747, THEY NEED TO KNEEL ON THE TARMAC AND HAVE THE QUEEN PULL OUT A BIG SWORD AND KNIGHT EACH MEMBER ON WORLD WIDE TELEVISION!!!!!

I guess I'll go back to sleep now.

• 2 years later...

If members of Deep Purple where knighted, would they become Black Knights ?? <_< I know its late :rolleyes:

Yes, it is late. Almost 5:30am Dallas, Texas time for me (and about 14+ Budweisers and counting). And I realize that this last post was made well over 2 years ago, however, I thought that this post was actually pretty funny. I get the "Black Knights" reference but I think that if any member of Deep Purple where knighted, they would be "Purple Knights".

Anyway, I honestly think that Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham should all be Knighted just for their extraordinary and profound musical career that was Led Zeppelin that brought tremendous revenue to the government of the United Kingdom back throughout the entire decade of the 1970's. In my opinion, Led Zeppelin had as much or more of an impact than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Maybe a little less (or at least equal) to the Beatles but way more than the Rolling Stones.

I realize that Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Elton John may be more of a "household" name then Jimmy Page or Robert Plant, but why should that make them a "Knight" when Jimmy and Robert have influenced more musicians then all three of those combined. Just my Opinion...

Yes, it is late. Almost 5:30am Dallas, Texas time for me (and about 14+ Budweisers and counting). And I realize that this last post was made well over 2 years ago, however, I thought that this post was actually pretty funny. I get the "Black Knights" reference but I think that if any member of Deep Purple where knighted, they would be "Purple Knights".

Anyway, I honestly think that Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham should all be Knighted just for their extraordinary and profound musical career that was Led Zeppelin that brought tremendous revenue to the government of the United Kingdom back throughout the entire decade of the 1970's. In my opinion, Led Zeppelin had as much or more of an impact than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Maybe a little less (or at least equal) to the Beatles but way more than the Rolling Stones.

I realize that Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Elton John may be more of a "household" name then Jimmy Page or Robert Plant, but why should that make them a "Knight" when Jimmy and Robert have influenced more musicians then all three of those combined. Just my Opinion...

Sorry but i have to disagree here 'lzzoso', in MY opinion all "Stars" be it Rock, Pop, Film, or Sports Stars are not worthy enough when it comes to Moral Values to be given "Knighthoods", they are for the most part Wealthy, UnChivalrous, Drug and Alcohol Abusing Cheats :o who would be more at home with "Night Hoodies" than be inducted in to an Order like mine, "The Order of the Righteous and the Few" ;)

Regards, Danny

Well, if you ask me Knighthood is something more to do with a military function, like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight#Origins_of_medieval_knighthood ....

The way it is now I don't think it's any more than a stately and, "how you feel about it" thing. The Crown is little more than a historical, traditional ceremonial now a day's. I'm sure the surf's of medieval antiquity can attest to the harshness of the time of Charlemagne, who originated the mounted horseman who where known as Knight's.

Never the less, it is a big deal in Europe and very formal in the eyes of the world as well, so it would be an honor to be recognized in one's home country with such a bestowal, it should be known that the European crown(s) is and always has always been closely affiliated to the Christen Church.

I know that Jimmy Page was into Thelema, don't think it was ever confirmed that he actually joined, but that would for sure be a very big strike against him regardless...

But what do I know, I'm just a fan that has been heavily influenced by his music and don't really know much about his personal life.

Archived