What's the weather like where you are?

madison

On 1/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, 3hrsoflunacy said:

59 and a nice breeze here in the Bay Area. No clouds, just wonderful, as far as I am concerned.

It was absolutely perfect today. The whole weekend was, too.  My gf lives in the bay (and I'm originally from there), and I spend about 50% of my time there. If it was 59 and sunny every day, I could live with that.

21 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

Cold as heck, but I can take it. Not looking forward to the prospect of possibly significant snow on Sunday, but I'll deal with it.

image.png.13e307d35bd84911b7b9aafb32fd6a69.png

My gf is from Geneva near Chicago. She says it really doesn't get too bad out there, as far as cold. I looked at average monthly high/low temps, and I could work with that. I like the cold, myself. But I"m not crazy about snow (well, the mess that comes with snow I should say) and black ice lol.

I should probably go on reddit to ask this, but one internet forum in my life is enough for me 😂

What are your fav and least fav things about living in the midwest? We're considering moving out there (Chicago area) down the road. I'm working on her to keep her here in Cali, maybe get out to Chico (love the vibe out there, it's like Sacramento before all the bay area people wrecked it), but that's a whole nother conversation.

Edited by 1975NQ

12 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

My gf is from Geneva near Chicago. She says it really doesn't get too bad out there, as far as cold. I looked at average monthly high/low temps, and I could work with that. I like the cold, myself. But I"m not crazy about snow (well, the mess that comes with snow I should say) and black ice lol.

I should probably go on reddit to ask this, but one internet forum in my life is enough for me 😂

What are your fav and least fav things about living in the midwest? We're considering moving out there (Chicago area) down the road. I'm working on her to keep her here in Cali, maybe get out to Chico (love the vibe out there, it's like Sacramento before all the bay area people wrecked it), but that's a whole nother conversation.

I don't live in Chicago anymore, but it's my hometown, and I'll always love it. It has problems, I won't BS you about that, but to me, those problems are worth it. My least favorite thing would have to be the winters. I don't hate the cold, but I hate ice and snow. Well, a little snow I can deal with, but I've had to shovel two feet of snow before, and that's way too much for me. LOL. So, if you can't handle bitter cold and the occasional foot or more of snow, Chicago isn't for you. My favorite thing...not having to worry about earthquakes, tornados, wildfire, and hurricanes. Any remnants of tropical systems that make their way that far north aren't even worth talking about. Summers can be hot, but you don't have the extended mugginess that summers down here have. Chicago has a lot of really fun things to do and see, plenty of fantastic restaurants, and the public transportation system is top notch. 

That said, the property taxes, sales taxes, and gas taxes are the highest in the country. So, it's not cheap to live there. Keep that in mind when making your final decision.

4 hours ago, Electrophile said:

I don't live in Chicago anymore, but it's my hometown, and I'll always love it. It has problems, I won't BS you about that, but to me, those problems are worth it. My least favorite thing would have to be the winters. I don't hate the cold, but I hate ice and snow. Well, a little snow I can deal with, but I've had to shovel two feet of snow before, and that's way too much for me. LOL. So, if you can't handle bitter cold and the occasional foot or more of snow, Chicago isn't for you. My favorite thing...not having to worry about earthquakes, tornados, wildfire, and hurricanes. Any remnants of tropical systems that make their way that far north aren't even worth talking about. Summers can be hot, but you don't have the extended mugginess that summers down here have. Chicago has a lot of really fun things to do and see, plenty of fantastic restaurants, and the public transportation system is top notch. 

That said, the property taxes, sales taxes, and gas taxes are the highest in the country. So, it's not cheap to live there. Keep that in mind when making your final decision.

Got it, thanks Electrophile! These are all the exact pros and cons I've read about Chicago for a while now. If we move out there, it won't be for quite a while so plenty of time to think stuff over. The #1 deterrent for me is driving on black ice. It's only happened to me once here in Cali, and if my driving skills weren't better (and really I think a lot of luck was involved), I wouldn't be here right now lol. It was a close call on the highway, really ugly scene.

47 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Got it, thanks Electrophile! These are all the exact pros and cons I've read about Chicago for a while now. If we move out there, it won't be for quite a while so plenty of time to think stuff over. The #1 deterrent for me is driving on black ice. It's only happened to me once here in Cali, and if my driving skills weren't better (and really I think a lot of luck was involved), I wouldn't be here right now lol. It was a close call on the highway, really ugly scene.

IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation) is really good about salting streets in advance of any ice or snow, and main streets are plowed as soon as possible, so driving on ice doesn't happen that often. At most, you might have to drive on some impacted snow, but you treat that like driving on any kind of wet pavement. Take your time, slow down, and keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you. Also, I can't remember the last time Chicago got an ice storm. Those are more common here, where moisture coming out of the southeast keeps temperatures cold enough for freezing rain, but not cold enough to turn it to snow.

10 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation) is really good about salting streets in advance of any ice or snow, and main streets are plowed as soon as possible, so driving on ice doesn't happen that often. At most, you might have to drive on some impacted snow, but you treat that like driving on any kind of wet pavement. Take your time, slow down, and keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you. Also, I can't remember the last time Chicago got an ice storm. Those are more common here, where moisture coming out of the southeast keeps temperatures cold enough for freezing rain, but not cold enough to turn it to snow.

That's  all great to hear. And hopefully the weather teaches the drivers in that area to be better at defensive driving, space cushion, etc. Driving was pretty chill here in Sac until all the SoCal and Bay Area people moved out here in droves. Now, it's stressful every time you get on the highway. Idiots tailgating each other at 70 mph, sometimes 5 of them in a row (I see this on a regular basis). It's almost impressive, the level of crushing stupidity out there. I've read drivers in Chicago proper can be crazy, but from what I've dealt with the past 18 months, I think I can handle any driving environment now 😂