What's the weather like where you are?

madison

There was about 9" of snow at our house and lots (over 100,000 in our area) of power outages. Ours went out for about 28 hrs; came back on late this morning. It's now getting warmer and it should probably all be gone by sometime tomorrow.

Sunny, but really, really cold and trying to snow at times. Shame as I thought spring was here last week. Chillumpuffer did you get a load of snow this weekend, the hills over your way looked very white yesterday and there were a few cars in stockport covered with the stuff?

Sunny, but really, really cold and trying to snow at times. Shame as I thought spring was here last week. Chillumpuffer did you get a load of snow this weekend, the hills over your way looked very white yesterday and there were a few cars in stockport covered with the stuff?

Not loads Amie but a covering. Buxton had lots as usaul. But we were in Manchester yesterday and it was bitter. Snowed when we got home though and it is snowing as I type. Garden has a covering and my daffs look well cold. Spring is on hold for the time being. Maybe a white Easter??

Beautiful Sunny Day, Windy and Freezing but hey I can live with that, the Sun is out....

How much snow did you get CP?

Not a great deal to be honest. It was just showers but jeez it was cold. Today woke up to sun but the clouds have been building and the odd flake is falling from a leaden sky. Looks like there will be no change for the week and into next week. What a difference to last year when it was warm and sunny for most of the month. I read this morning that the the home counties were hit. No snow there for you Kate?

Not a great deal to be honest. It was just showers but jeez it was cold. Today woke up to sun but the clouds have been building and the odd flake is falling from a leaden sky. Looks like there will be no change for the week and into next week. What a difference to last year when it was warm and sunny for most of the month. I read this morning that the the home counties were hit. No snow there for you Kate?

There was a little that settled overnight on Sunday followed by Flurries on Monday, glad to say all gone now, the Wind is freezing but it is still very sunny..

This Winter just seems to be dragging on forever...

Absolutely Glorious, Beautiful Blue Cloudless Sky no wind but a tad chilly... :yesnod: Hope CP, Joe and the rest of the UK are enjoying the same Beautiful start to their Day..

Sort of. It was a beaut at 7 this morning but now the clouds have rolled in. I suspect it is going to bring the white stuff by this arvo. Apparently this weekend is going to be foul and the easterly will kick in next week bringing more abject misery on us. When will we be free of this dreadful winter?

Sort of. It was a beaut at 7 this morning but now the clouds have rolled in. I suspect it is going to bring the white stuff by this arvo. Apparently this weekend is going to be foul and the easterly will kick in next week bringing more abject misery on us. When will we be free of this dreadful winter?

I was going to clean the Windows today, won't bother now if we have more abject misery on the way!!!

Hope the Frost that we are having doesn't affect the new buds on the Fruit trees, like it did last year, otherwise it will be a short picking season this year..

Think i will make the most of the Sunshine today and go out shopping...

I was going to clean the Windows today, won't bother now if we have more abject misery on the way!!!

Hope the Frost that we are having doesn't affect the new buds on the Fruit trees, like it did last year, otherwise it will be a short picking season this year..

Think i will make the most of the Sunshine today and go out shopping...

Are you a landscaper Kate??? Last year we had zero plums but the year before we had tonnes of the beauts. I usually make plum chutney with the surplus. I think Victorias have a 2 yearly cycle, so this year I expect a good crop.

The daffs in the garden look frozen this morning

Are you a landscaper Kate??? Last year we had zero plums but the year before we had tonnes of the beauts. I usually make plum chutney with the surplus. I think Victorias have a 2 yearly cycle, so this year I expect a good crop.

The daffs in the garden look frozen this morning

No CP, I only work during the Summer months picking fruit, the Farm that I work on was one of the Few that had a really good crop of Both Vic's and Cherries.

The lack of Fruit was down to late frosts that had Damaged the Fruit Bud, then when the second set came on the trees it was very wet that stopped the Bees from coming out and Pollinating the Trees. So all in all it was a bad year for soft fruits hence the high prices..

Oh I see how interesting. I suspect with the cold weather the buds will not be showing for a while yet. Me and Mrs CP picked fruit in Australia for 2 seasons. Loved it. Peaches, Apples and Pears. Made a fortune. I also did the potatoes in Jersey for 4 seasons when I was in my 20's.

Do you like to eat soft fruit then. I ate so many peaches when i was in Victoria it was a while that I could eat them again. I would have thought the orchards are in Kent?

Oh I see how interesting. I suspect with the cold weather the buds will not be showing for a while yet. Me and Mrs CP picked fruit in Australia for 2 seasons. Loved it. Peaches, Apples and Pears. Made a fortune. I also did the potatoes in Jersey for 4 seasons when I was in my 20's.

Do you like to eat soft fruit then. I ate so many peaches when i was in Victoria it was a while that I could eat them again. I would have thought the orchards are in Kent?

If you remember last year everything was early due too the nice weather we were having, then it all went 'tits up'..

I would have loved to have travelled around the World picking fruit but I never had anyone to go with.

Your right the orchards are in kent, they grow Apples & Pears as well as the Soft Fruits of which I only ever eat straight from the trees never buy them.

I should imagine that Potatoe picking is back breaking a bit like picking Strawberries, tried that once and only lasted 2 days, it is most certainly a young persons game..

Starting to cloud over here now.. 'Bugger' thought it was too good to be true..

I actually worked in the packing places. we used to pack 100 tonnes a day - every day, unless they stopped digging to keep the prices high.

Here is a pic of the orchard with 1 1/2 tonnes of peaches ready to be taken away

attachicon.gifpeaches0001.jpg

That is the same size Bin that they use for picking apples into, this year the 'Good Apple' crop was so bad that it took one picker nearly 16 hours to fill one, he wasn't the worlds best picker, he wanted the bin to be perfect after all his hard work they slapped a Ticket on 'For Juice Only' he nearly cried, then he got the sack..LOL

Wow that is a lot of Spuds

Yes they were very strict in Australia too. The pears had to have a little leaf on the stem - to make them more attractive i suppose. Woe betide if you didn't leave them on. Peaches were also very weird to pick because they ripen from the inside so a brief look at the bottom, and if it was slightly orange then that would be fine. Green was a no no. Played havoc with my colour blindness. Sometimes they would ask for them all to be picked so you could go crazy - stripping the fruit. But peaches have a "furry" skin on them and it would cover you in a fibreglass type of powder. Coupled with the 40 degree heat it would make your eyes itch like fuck. And your arms would have tree scratches all over them. It was good fun though. We worked from jan until April and lived in a small bungalow on a campsite for 80 bucks a week all in.

We used to get $24 oz dollars per bin for peaches and pears. Work was from 7am until whenever. Me and Mrs CP would do about 8 bins per day between us. Work until about 2 until it was unbearable and go for a swim in the river or the town pool for a cool off.

When the peaches and pears were finished only a select few would stay on for the apples. You had to be really careful picking these as not to bruise the fruit. $200 a day was the reward but you had to work all day for that.

Here is a snap of the Murray river which split the state border between Victoria and New South Wales. It was a dream to swim in it:

post-4226-0-41216800-1363259483_thumb.jp

Yes they were very strict in Australia too. The pears had to have a little leaf on the stem - to make them more attractive i suppose. Woe betide if you didn't leave them on. Peaches were also very weird to pick because they ripen from the inside so a brief look at the bottom, and if it was slightly orange then that would be fine. Green was a no no. Played havoc with my colour blindness. Sometimes they would ask for them all to be picked so you could go crazy - stripping the fruit. But peaches have a "furry" skin on them and it would cover you in a fibreglass type of powder. Coupled with the 40 degree heat it would make your eyes itch like fuck. And your arms would have tree scratches all over them. It was good fun though. We worked from jan until April and lived in a small bungalow on a campsite for 80 bucks a week all in.

We used to get $24 oz dollars per bin for peaches and pears. Work was from 7am until whenever. Me and Mrs CP would do about 8 bins per day between us. Work until about 2 until it was unbearable and go for a swim in the river or the town pool for a cool off.

When the peaches and pears were finished only a select few would stay on for the apples. You had to be really careful picking these as not to bruise the fruit. $200 a day was the reward but you had to work all day for that.

Here is a snap of the Murray river which split the state border between Victoria and New South Wales. It was a dream to swim in it:

attachicon.gifriver beach0001.jpg

What away to spend your working day sounds great but yer it is hard work, I can imagine what those 'Furry little Fuzz Balls' did too your eyes plus any insect bites would have driven you crazey. Those Tree Scratches sure do ruin the 'Tan'. Wow $200 was a small fortune, you couldn't earn any where near that now.

On a good day I was able to pick an average of 7 Bins a day, but then we never really have the heat to contend with. As i'm getting old and decripit now if I do 4-5 I think that is good.

What fond Memories and photos the CP's have to look back on especially with what seems a never ending winter..