Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

zeplz71

Good to hear. At least we know a little something. It would be cool if the film gets nominated for an Oscar at the 2022 Academy Awards. I wouldn't be surprised, considering the filmmakers involved in this and their work with "American Epic." Gotta see that some time. It's on Netflix or Prime but not free. Wish it was. The main criteria for a film to be eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award is that a particular film must have at least one showing in a theatre before the New Year strikes in a given year. I'm quite sure about this. So "Becoming Led Zeppelin" meets that with the showings at the Venice Film Festival and Telluride as well.

But, I'm still looking for word on a release date for the film so I can finally see it as all of you are. We shall see if something more is included with the release. I thought the release would be close to the 50th anniversary of Zep IV, but I'm sure it will now be next year. Who knows when. Either way, I can't wait to see it!

Do you think we will hear something on Monday as it is the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin IV?   HMMMM?  I'm thinking this or something is possible as such a big date for the band!

Edited by SuperDave

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Eyekhan said:

I imagine the boys are waiting until the Beatles doc runs its course.

I have been thinking the same thing as may be part of the reason it's being held back. Although, there may be some more re-editing of the doc as some of the reviews were a bit mixed. I'm sure they want to release a great product. Although, most of the reviews have said that much of the doc is great but needs to focus more on certain things. Like creating their sound and perhaps input and interviews with others outside the band would give it more substance. Either way, I hope I get to see it one day.

If this review is an accurate representation, then the film falls at the first hurdle. 

"For starters, the movie is totally true to its title. It devotes its entire first hour to telling the story of the band members during the ’50s and ’60s, when they were growing up and finding their way as London-based musicians in the rock establishment."

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Strider said:

To clarify: There's nothing in this article that suggests a release date being announced imminently. This confusion seems to stem from other music news websites writing up the LedZepNews story and introducing the suggest that a release date is coming. The LedZepNews article only covers the fact that a promotional campaign has been ready for years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 3:04 AM, SteveAJones said:

If this was essential, it would have been released a long time ago while the world spent two years stuck at home with nothing to do.

They didn’t have access to much of the archival footage and photography BECAUSE of the pandemic. This has been adequately reported. My guess is what they shared with Venice and Cannes was an overly long director’s cut. It’s typical to edit films after their first critical exposure. They’ll also need to land a distributor to release said film, and it is not clear if they have attained that yet. It’s going to come out when it’s good and ready, even if it’s direct to blu ray.

I’m honestly confused why people think this will be such a dud. The directors and production partners involved are legitimately excellent filmmakers. 

16 hours ago, Eyekhan said:

I’m honestly confused why people think this will be such a dud. The directors and production partners involved are legitimately excellent filmmakers. 

It got lukewarm reviews at the premiere, has since yet to be picked up by a distributor, and marketing materials for the film have since been taken down. I think that’s enough of an indicator…