Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

zeplz71

On 6/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, rm2551 said:

yes! They were magical from day 1 to the last. Knebworth wasn't bad - but could have been better when you consider the Copenhagen warm ups. But I'll take it! There is no doubting the 1980 tour was inconsistent - and even weak at times. BUT - it also did produce some unrivalled numbers. There are one or two SIBLY that were incredibly beautiful, Trampled Underfoot at times went further than ever before with Jimmy finding a new sound and going so far with it as to match anything else he has ever done live IMO - and Jonesy was right out there with him. At times they seemed to feed off each other and really found something amazing. There were other numbers that were brilliant at times - but massively inconsistent for sure. Studio wise, they never lost it. Always changing. One album to the next, and always no filler - just brilliance. Whatever idea they developed and put their mind to turned into gold. Maybe not in everyone's top 3 albums - but nothing short of GOLD.

Still - no way there will be a doco on that period with any input from the guys. NO CHANCE. And that's understandable.

Great POSITIVE comment re' the later yrs!   Thats right they didnt loose NOTHIN! 

On 5/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, SteveAJones said:

I want to be excited...but I'm not. The guys have already discussed the early years of the band extensively in print, radio and media. Is there an anecdote we haven't heard already? A significant snap shot we haven't already seen? Perhaps, but I'm not holding my breath. As with most "Zeppelin 50" commemorations and product, this one seems geared toward the Millennial crowd -- and younger.  

Bingo and Bazinga.:blahblah:

Now if we are talking a documentary/bio-pic using the material from Hoskins', 'Trampled Underfoot' that would be completely different matter!  Phew! That book turned me from a fervent fundamentalist into a hardcore anti-theist in the Temple of Jimmola. 

Edited by Paimonus Rex

On 5/11/2019 at 6:48 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

This is neat.   I would be happy with some various snippets of 8mm/16mm films even if incomplete.    We have to hope the band had their friends/roadies/Peter Grant shoot little bits here and there in the first couple years.     

When MTV has the special on Zeppelin ages ago and showed the clips of Seattle 1977, they also showed the close-up home movie footage of the 8/21/71- LA Forum concert which was really exciting to see back then.  A documentary is the perfect place to throw in various incomplete snippets here and there in less that perfect quality to make it unique and feature material not found anywhere else.   And if we happen to see larger chunks of footage of much rumored stuff like Central Park ‘69 or the Bath ‘70 footage then this will be well worth it.

I see Jimmy is making good on his word by giving us “surprises” for the 50th Anniversary.  

History Lesson DVD (EVSD) is what you need!

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-History-Lesson/release/11325123

• 2 weeks later...

It would be quite difficult to do a quality information based Doc on the band since there is very little if no stage or off stage footage existing. What makes a music documentary so appealing is the hard to find footage...ala The Eagles ...The Beatles....Queen..

Whether all remaining members give interviews or not, without great hard to find backstage or off stage home or convert  footage ...most people will be bored. Remember, they were worlds biggest underground band. Let’s keep it that way. 

4 hours ago, Blaize86 said:

It would be quite difficult to do a quality information based Doc on the band since there is very little if no stage or off stage footage existing. What makes a music documentary so appealing is the hard to find footage...ala The Eagles ...The Beatles....Queen..

Whether all remaining members give interviews or not, without great hard to find backstage or off stage home or convert  footage ...most people will be bored. Remember, they were worlds biggest underground band. Let’s keep it that way. 

Led Zeppelin is a force that has to be shared, it’s like a positive feeling that you feel when a summer rain washes away the heat and grime. Those lucky enough to witness their concerts good or bad saw something that will never be replicated, because of the magic the light and shadow gave those in attendance something they will never forget, hence this forum is a prime example of that. I watched a CNN documentary on the 1970s in America, I was excited to see what they would say about Led Zeppelin; all that was mentioned was quote “the band that knocked off the Beatles”, then it just shows a clip of the band on their 707 jetliner, and the commentary about 1970s rock groups overindulgence in a fantasy lifestyle...wtf? Nothing about their music, or why they became the Biggest Rock and Roll band ever to walk the Earth. So in short I really hope this documentary explains why Zeppelin is the best period.

6 hours ago, Blaize86 said:

It would be quite difficult to do a quality information based Doc on the band since there is very little if no stage or off stage footage existing.

Does the band itself and immediate family have an archive of personal footage from side of stage? Didn't a lot of family get jobs and go on the '77 tour? There may well be unknown film that until now has had no reason to be made public (from the point of view of the owner(s) of the footage). Maybe a doco with the bands participation would unearth quite a few unknown gems.

You just don't know.

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Does the band itself and immediate family have an archive of personal footage from side of stage? Didn't a lot of family get jobs and go on the '77 tour? There may well be unknown film that until now has had no reason to be made public (from the point of view of the owner(s) of the footage). Maybe a doco with the bands participation would unearth quite a few unknown gems.

You just don't know.

Most likely any known footage by immediate circle of friends, family, etc would have been used for the Led Zeppelin dvd set released in 2003. Anything unearthed since then (like the Bath concert mentioned in other thread) would be good to see included in a doc.

R😎

1 hour ago, reids said:

Most likely any known footage by immediate circle of friends, family, etc would have been used for the Led Zeppelin dvd set released in 2003.

I'd say it's just as likely there is footage but it was not suitable for the feel, or narration of the DVD - but perfectly suited to a doco format. But if I was a betting man, my money would not be on it. Still, you never know...

3 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I'd say it's just as likely there is footage but it was not suitable for the feel, or narration of the DVD - but perfectly suited to a doco format. But if I was a betting man, my money would not be on it. Still, you never know...

Maybe. We’ll see. I hope they re-release the content of the DVD in blu-ray/digital combo format with any bonus footage unused upon initial release & any unearthed footage discovered since, along with the new Documentary after it’s released in the Theaters. Until then, it’s all speculation.

R😎

Just now, reids said:

I hope they re-release the content of the DVD in blu-ray/digital combo format with any bonus footage unused upon initial release & any unearthed footage discovered since,

I don't. I hope they release EC as a stand alone expanded DVD. Then maybe Knebworth too in a Later Years box set with some worked up SB's from Copenhagen (if Jimmy has them) and a few gems from the 1980 tour. But now I'm really clutching at straws....

But I will never give up hope for surprises.

1 minute ago, rm2551 said:

I don't. I hope they release EC as a stand alone expanded DVD. Then maybe Knebworth too in a Later Years box set with some worked up SB's from Copenhagen (if Jimmy has them) and a few gems from the 1980 tour. But now I'm really clutching at straws....

But I will never give up hope for surprises.

I want all you mentioned above and more released (multiple disc / digital version).

we can go on and on in speculations & wish lists. It’s up to them. Otherwise, there’s always YouTube and unofficial stuff out there. 

R😎

There’s nothing !! Trust me. Just the thought or vision of someone other than Grant , Cole or a band member with a video or film camera equates a beat down. I would even bet Planty or Bonzo with a camera would get the wrath of Peter Grant. 

Remember, this was a band that traveled and socialized , especially after 1970, like the mob with Grant being The Godfather. Small circles, heavy handed , suspicious of everything from record companies to concert promoters. 

By 1975 the paranoia grew reaching a head in Oakland in 1977. Then the tragedy following. No wonder Robert is still bothered by that whole era. Robert seems very approachable and he was growing into a friendly affable bloke. All the others traveled in darkness with Jones off on his own. 

The only footage I can think of is SRTS outtakes including the Pittsburg show and the band in their privacy from SRTS.. Pontiac 1977, maybe some Knebworth stuff. Nobody wants to see KW stuff , everyone wants to see the band in its glory days. 

• 2 months later...

I’d like to see the three surviving members and Jason Bonham footage at Headley Grange (JB footage already recorded/exists per JB’s Instagram)  recording parts or entire songs from Led Zeppelin’s catalog. Officially released as part of the documentary or on the dvd/blu ray as extra/bonus.

R😎

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched the Scorsese-produced four hour (!) Long Strange Trip Grateful Dead documentary, done in the style of the Tom Petty Runnin' Down A Dream doc or The History Of The Eagles. But watching the Dead documentary, I was thinking, "This is the kind of thing Zeppelin needs." Maybe not four hours, necessarily, but something comprehensive and that doesn't whitewash (or ignore) the more unsavoury aspects of the band's history. It is LONG overdue.