Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

zeplz71

18 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Currently in post-production, 

They’re wrapping up things/decisions are already made based on shooting & editing scripts and what the surviving members agree with those making film before final edit/cut. Any other wish lists are purely speculation until real details are provided officially by the surviving members and reported to us. Until then, we’ll see. 

R😎

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Possible? Of course. Likely? Absolutely not. How are you going to motivate them to openly and honestly discuss '75 - '80? There are far too many ugly and tragic events to cover in that era. As it is, they can focus on "only good things" and close it out on a high note -- supplanting The Beatles as the #1 rock group in the world. 

I can see up to/including 75 - no probs. Earl's Court gigs, the tours from '72 to '75, the tax situation, release of PG etc. Maybe even the car crash?? Up to '76 with the release of TSRTS as the closer maybe?

There is the obvious debate around how much omission constitutes a lack of honesty, but they could well delve into '77 like PeaceFrogYum says. Plenty of positive spin for the lads to offer. But I agree '77 onward is highly unlikely.

Get onboard Steve, this doco is a good thing.

This will just be a remaster of stuff we’ve all seen and heard a thousand times before, plus Jimmy’s sanitized version of their history—don’t get too excited folks.

Edited by Paganini

1 hour ago, Paganini said:

This will just be a remaster of stuff we’ve all seen and heard a thousand times before, plus Jimmy’s sanitized version of their history—don’t get too excited folks.

I don't know... I don't think Jimmy would bother doing this if he didn't have anything new to offer. Especially since they've actually been involved in the process, I don't think he would let it be something we didn't like or get something new out of. Why else would they participate in it? Of course, you could be right, but it's foolish to judge it before we really have any information on it. 

On a side note, everyone seems to be calling this something related to "Jimmy's cleaned up history," but this only goes up to '70. What does he really have whats worth hiding from back then? It must be something pretty top secret if there is one, because I can't think of anything very secretive or scandalous from their early days (Except maybe the mudshark incident, but what do we need to hear about that?).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/08/first-official-led-zeppelin-documentary-bernard-macmahon-director-american-epic

I'm afraid the period covered in the documentary is limited (1968-1969)...pfff

The Guardian:

Rather than attempt to tell the entire history of the group, MacMahon will focus on their development and rise to fame, as the three members each left session work and existing bands to come together in 1968, along with late drummer John Bonham. The film will chart their career until 1970, as the second album, released the previous year featuring the hit track Whole Lotta Love, cements them as the dominant rock band of the era.

That means some of the most famous parts of their story – their biggest hit, Stairway to Heaven; the debauched rock’n’roll excess of their imperial phase; the death of Bonham in 1980, their immediate dissolution and one-off return in 2007 – will not be covered.

The film is based around new interviews with the three surviving band members, “no outside voices or conjecture”, and hitherto unseen archive footage and photographs. A release date has not yet been announced.

1 hour ago, Paganini said:

If it were genuinely nothing new, I doubt Plant or JPJ would get involved.

Great news, but I really don't understand why some of you are so interested in seeing unreleased clips, that's not really a point of a musical documentary, it's about bringing new insights into the music and musicians that created it.

We have seen pretty much all the footage and most importantly heard all the bootlegs, so I would much preffer them talking about their musical heroes and how they got together and about the first two albums(even of I would like to hear them talk about all of them like in the MTV Rockumentary but more in detail).

I still wouldn't mind some new footage from the studio sessions but even that is not as interesting as actually hearing them talk interesting things. But some poeple here starting to fantasize about more material being in the can, I think that is a bit silly.

I think it will be quite a detailed documentary about their maturation as musicians, about their musical influences and about the first two albums.

No unseen old footage or stories about excess are nedeed in such a musical documentary, so being about all the albums would be good though.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:30 AM, zeplz71 said:

"definitive telling of the birth of the world’s biggest-selling rock band"

Keyword being "birth". Hard pass from me. They're gonna tell the same tired old stories again to advertise themselves to the remaining 300 people who haven't purchased the fourth album yet.

4 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Great news, but I really don't understand why some of you are so interested in seeing unreleased clips, that's not really a point of a musical documentary, it's about bringing new insights into the music and musicians that created it.

We have seen pretty much all the footage and most importantly heard all the bootlegs, so I would much preffer them talking about their musical heroes and how they got together and about the first two albums(even of I would like to hear them talk about all of them like in the MTV Rockumentary but more in detail).

I still wouldn't mind some new footage from the studio sessions but even that is not as interesting as actually hearing them talk interesting things. But some poeple here starting to fantasize about more material being in the can, I think that is a bit silly.

Most of us are desperate to see more footage.

Music & visuals can say a lot more than mere words can.

I'm hoping the Bath footage is included in this, the timing sounds spot on.

I am confident the result will be great given the John Paul Jones quote in the Guardian article:

Announcing the project, bassist John Paul Jones said: “The time was right for us to tell our own story for the first time in our own words, and I think that this film will really bring that story to life.”

I am also happy to hear  "no outside voices or conjecture".  Many music documentaries are ruined by critics or hangers on saying stupid things.  Sometimes in these documentaries the outsider commentary is good and insightful but many times it is insipid, even in the great episodes like Rush or Deep Purple Classic Albums series on AXS TV.  The Machine Head episode had a minimum of stupidity from critics, but the Rush episode was ruined by the worst imaginable on air commentary by non band members.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Keyword being "birth". Hard pass from me. They're gonna tell the same tired old stories again to advertise themselves to the remaining 300 people who haven't purchased the fourth album yet.

Damn Gibson, and I thought I was cynical. Then again, once bitten, twice shy.

Sounds very promising and especially with the band's involvement. Makes sense for a documentary to be at Cannes as not a career spanning documentary and allows more focus and detail with a specified period. Perhaps, this won't be the last one and will continue on from 1970, where it ends in the doc. We shall see as details are announced over the next few weeks. Cannes festival runs from May 14-25, so coming up really soon as next week!

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Sounds very promising and especially with the band's involvement. Makes sense for a documentary to be at Cannes as not a career spanning documentary and allows more focus and detail with a specified period. Perhaps, this won't be the last one and will continue on from 1970, where it ends in the doc. We shall see as details are announced over the next few weeks. Cannes festival runs from May 14-25, so coming up really soon as next week!

Almost the time frame of the Earls Court shows

it'll be interesting to hear Jonesy's input as we rarely hear from him. Plant could give a rare more serious approach, maybe if we're lucky. But Page no doubt will wheel out the same old things he always says "it was like there was a fifth member present" "a form of alchemy" "the critics missed how much acoustic was on the fist album" "I knew what I wanted to create"  etc 

we could play Page cliché bingo along to it

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

One could only hope it would eventually be released in a limited edition box set (dvd w/ music from bath 1970 or similar period: audio cd, dvd-audio, vinyl , digital, etc) after playing in limited run theaters globally. If this did well then may a series every few years. Maybe this could tie in with promised career spanning Led Zeppelin live audio JP mentioned over a year ago. 

R😎

56 minutes ago, jsj said:

it'll be interesting to hear Jonesy's input as we rarely hear from him. Plant could give a rare more serious approach, maybe if we're lucky. But Page no doubt will wheel out the same old things he always says "it was like there was a fifth member present" "a form of alchemy" "the critics missed how much acoustic was on the fist album" "I knew what I wanted to create"  etc 

we could play Page cliché bingo along to it

You missed "light and shade", "distance miking" and "inventing backwards echo". HOUSE!!

8 minutes ago, 76229 said:

You missed "light and shade", "distance miking" and "inventing backwards echo". HOUSE!!

I nearly put distance miking! I must admit id forgotten about the reverse echo. no doubt we'll hear how glyn johns said it couldn't be done.

I wonder if Page will say that he recorded it on a telecaster and a supro amp and how they are available to buy!

31 minutes ago, jsj said:

I nearly put distance miking! I must admit id forgotten about the reverse echo. no doubt we'll hear how glyn johns said it couldn't be done.

I wonder if Page will say that he recorded it on a telecaster and a supro amp and how they are available to buy!

Perhaps while playing the telecaster, he was wearing sneakers and riding a skateboard? 

44 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Perhaps while playing the telecaster, he was wearing sneakers and riding a skateboard? 

yep and he could also get in a plug for the polo shirts and mugs available from his site

maybe he should just open a shop to sell his tat