2021 NFL thread. Next year's Super Bowl will be in LA at the new SoFi Stadium

LedZeppfan1977

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since Barry Sanders retired.  I did stumble upon and watch the female flag football game before though, and quite enjoyed it.  I kept waiting for the announcers calling the game to say something stupid.  It seemed they were right on the edge.

I re-watched Prince's halftime show on u-tube.  It's going to be quite some time until someone beats that performance.  Sometimes the stars just align.  

Good thing I'm not a betting man, because I don't think I've picked a winner yet this post-season.  I guess I'll root for the Rams, so the Bengals win.    

23 hours ago, Strider said:

The best thing about NBC broadcasting the game is that I won't have to hear Tony Romo. 

When Tony Romo first started broadcasting games on CBS with Jim Nantz, he seemed like a breath of fresh air. But he apparently has read the press clippings and it has gone to his head. He never shuts up and he gets so excited his voice squeaks like little girl. John Madden would get excited, too, but his voice was masculine and pleasant to listen to...he didn't shriek or grate like fingernails on a blackboard.

I rewatched the AFC Championship Game between Kansas City and Cincinnati and Tony Romo ruins the end of the game with his incessant hyperventilating and obsession over whether should Kansas City score immediately or take their time. He completely ignored Cincinnati's defense and what schemes they were using to confuse Mahomes and slow the Chiefs down in the second half. You're an analyst, Tony...you are supposed to analyze both sides of the game. Stop with the endless conjecture and what ifs and leave the conspiracy theories at home.

Imagine having Staubach then Aikman then you had that clown as your qb, now we got Dak, Romo was so bad in big situations that I actually thought he was much better at announcing lol

On 2/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, Strider said:

The best thing about NBC broadcasting the game is that I won't have to hear Tony Romo. 

When Tony Romo first started broadcasting games on CBS with Jim Nantz, he seemed like a breath of fresh air. But he apparently has read the press clippings and it has gone to his head. He never shuts up and he gets so excited his voice squeaks like little girl. John Madden would get excited, too, but his voice was masculine and pleasant to listen to...he didn't shriek or grate like fingernails on a blackboard.

I rewatched the AFC Championship Game between Kansas City and Cincinnati and Tony Romo ruins the end of the game with his incessant hyperventilating and obsession over whether should Kansas City score immediately or take their time. He completely ignored Cincinnati's defense and what schemes they were using to confuse Mahomes and slow the Chiefs down in the second half. You're an analyst, Tony...you are supposed to analyze both sides of the game. Stop with the endless conjecture and what ifs and leave the conspiracy theories at home.

That's why I miss Hank Stram as an announcer. 

Deflategate was all bullshit folks.. 

The New England Patriots lost a 1st and 4th round draft pick,  they were fined a million dollars... they have been wrongfully called "cheaters" for the past 7 years and Tom Brady had to serve a 4 game suspension likely because he had  photos of his supermodel wife on his phone he didn't want some snoopy investigator drooling over..  It was all a big fat lie..  I hope Roger Goodell gets fired or heavily fined.. or suspended even ..  hopefully more to come on this farce... like an apology and maybe some compensation for The Patriots and Tom Brady.

Edited by the chase

I'm a Packers fan, as you well know, but I have to admit to being shocked Aaron Rodgers won the MVP award last night. One, Tom Brady had better numbers, and two, I thought his stupidity about the Big Nasty vaccine would have pissed off enough voters that they wouldn't give it to him. I'm more shocked Matt LaFleur lost Coach of the Year, however. What more does he need to do to get some respect? He walked into an impossible situation and has done a phenomenal job so far. 

I have been revisiting Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl history. Starting with Super Bowl XXIII between the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Francisco 49ers.

There is no way around it...Boomer Esiason was terrible in this game. Take away the kickoff return for a touchdown and all Boomer and the offense had to show for their efforts were three field goals. Cincinnati's defense was actually playing well and keeping the 49ers in check. If the offense gets at least one touchdown, they might have won the game. But Boomer was off on his throws all game long and several should have been intercepted. He was sacked a bunch of times. If he wasn't historically bad like Denver's Craig Morton against the Cowboys in Super Bowl XII or New England's Tony Eason against the Bears in Super Bowl XX, he was in the next tier of awful. I would put him on the same level with Miami's David Woodley against the Redskins in Super Bowl XVII.

This was also the Super Bowl where the Bengals lost running back Stanley Wilson before the game due to a drug relapse, and defensive lineman Tim Krumrie early in the game because of a broken leg.

27 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have been revisiting Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl history. Starting with Super Bowl XXIII between the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Francisco 49ers.

There is no way around it...Boomer Esiason was terrible in this game. Take away the kickoff return for a touchdown and all Boomer and the offense had to show for their efforts were three field goals. Cincinnati's defense was actually playing well and keeping the 49ers in check. If the offense gets at least one touchdown, they might have won the game. But Boomer was off on his throws all game long and several should have been intercepted. He was sacked a bunch of times. If he wasn't historically bad like Denver's Craig Morton against the Cowboys in Super Bowl XII or New England's Tony Eason against the Bears in Super Bowl XX, he was in the next tier of awful. I would put him on the same level with Miami's David Woodley against the Redskins in Super Bowl XVII.

This was also the Super Bowl where the Bengals lost running back Stanley Wilson before the game due to a drug relapse, and defensive lineman Tim Krumrie early in the game because of a broken leg.

Bad luck like the Bills. 

so bengals beat raiders, then beat titans with Henry, then beat chiefs, as I predicted and defense just destroyed  Mahommes second half he looked like a chump, now rams should have won by 30 over bucs, 3 very weak fumbles, short on 45 yard field goal and Brady sucked let them eventually win now against san fran all I can say is  down  and needing a touch down Stafford  did what he's done for 10 years , he threw a perfect deep ball to.... the defense but #26? dropped a easy game clinching interception, anyways I look at Bengals and view them as the average Joes, sort of like the canadian truckers and I look at the rams as the team who spent all their money and draft picks to put a big name team on field and destroy, sort of like  the Elitist snobs calling  the truckers , terrorist, anyways maybe  just hoping like I did when saints stuck it to colts but believe Bengals will win  in a romp 37-20

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Yup. Their first appearance vs 49’ers, I was so rooting for Kenny Anderson. He threw the best spiral ever. Of course this was the game after The Catch. I’ll be pulling for the Bengals tomorrow - for the third time… Only because I have no love for the Rams. Like the 49’ers of the 80’s. 

Today I watched Cincinnati's march through the 1982 playoffs. What was fascinating was how many moments echoed similar situations to this year's playoffs.

This was the Bengals of Ken Anderson and Pete Johnson and Dan Ross and rookie Chris Collinsworth. Forrest Gregg was the head coach.

First up in my viewing was the Divisional Round: Buffalo @ Cincinnati.

Cincinnati won 28-21, thanks to a brain fart by Buffalo head coach Chuck Knox and quarterback Joe Ferguson exactly like what happened to Dallas this year against San Francisco. Buffalo had the ball and was driving for the tying touchdown late in the game. It is 4th and one and the Bills have to go for it and they call a time out to come up with a play. Buffalo comes out of the timeout and lines up and inexplicably still gets a delay of game penalty on a play that would have given Buffalo a first down in the red zone. Now it is 4th and 6 and Joe Ferguson overthrows an open receiver in the end zone. Game over. 

It is ludicrous for a team to get a delay of game penalty coming out of a timeout. That is on the head coach and quarterback to make sure that does not happen. 

Next up, the AFC Championship Game: San Diego @ Cincinnati. Otherwise known as the Freezer Bowl. The coldest NFL game with a wind chill of -59°.

There are a lot of people who moan about how San Diego was a great team that was robbed of a chance to win a championship because of the extreme cold weather. To that I say "Boo hoo" and poppycock. Cincinnati beat San Diego 27-7 in the AFC Championship Game. San Diego reached the game only because they outlasted Miami in overtime the week before...a Miami team that started David Woodley at quarterback. Earlier in the season Cincinnati went to San Diego and thrashed them 40-17. So in two games, one in sunny weather and one in brutal cold, Cincinnati outscored San Diego 67-24. That's domination.

Cincinnati earned the trip to the Super Bowl. They beat the Chargers twice, swept the Steelers, Baltimore, Rams...they clearly were the class of the AFC in 1981 and the culmination of Ken Anderson's long career with Cincinnati.

The sad fact is that people crying about San Diego being robbed are overlooking the fact that Dan Fouts just was not very clutch when it mattered. You could count on two things happening in a big game with San Diego...Dan Fouts throwing interceptions and Chuck Muncie fumbling. It wasn't bad weather or bad luck or bad calls that kept them from the Super Bowl. It was bad play by their stars.

FInally, I watched Super Bowl XVI: Cincinnati vs. San Francisco.

The final score was 26-21 but that was misleading. San Francisco led 20-0 at halftime and you never felt that San Francisco would lose control of the game. This was not like Atlanta vs. New England, where you kind of expected Atlanta to choke away the lead. 

The 49ers of Bill Walsh and Joe Montana were too cool to lose control.

The sequence at the end of the first half demonstrated the smarts San Francisco possessed over other teams...and called to mind the failings in some of the 2022 playoffs games. The 49ers had just kicked a field goal to make it 17-0 with 15 seconds left in the first half. On the ensuing kickoff, the San Francisco kicker squibbed it down the middle. The crazily bouncing ball gave the Cincinnati return guy fits and he fumbled it away and San Francisco recovered at the five-yard line with five seconds left.

Remember the ends of both the Bills-Chiefs and Rams-Buccaneers games in this year's playoffs? How both the Bills and the Bucs chose to kick the ball deep out of the end zone, resulting in no time running off the clock. By not squibbing the kick, not only do you not take any time off the clock, you lose any chance of a fumble recovery.

Okay, so San Francisco had the ball on Cincinnati's five yard line with five seconds left in the half. Does this situation ring a bell? Like in this year's AFC Championship Game when Kansas City had the ball near the goal line with five seconds left in the first half. What happened in each game showed why Bill Walsh is revered as a coaching genius while Andy Reid has a litany of playoff failures and only one championship.

Bill Walsh kicked the field goal to go up 20-0 at halftime. Andy Reid tried for another play and ended up with zero as time ran out. One team played it smart. One team played it reckless and arrogant

FInally, I watched Super Bowl XVI: Cincinnati vs. San Francisco.

40 years later, it still holds the record for the highest Nielson TV rating for a Super Bowl, or any televised athletic event.  That despite having "Up with People" as the halftime entertainment.  The 49ers were stuck in traffic thanks to then V.P. George Bush.  They didn't arrive at the Silverdome until 90 minutes before game time.  Bill Walsh was so pissed he was quoted on the team bus saying, "I'm listening on the radio, and hear we're up 7-0."      

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

40 years later, it still holds the record for the highest Nielson TV rating for a Super Bowl, or any televised athletic event.  That despite having "Up with People" as the halftime entertainment.  The 49ers were stuck in traffic thanks to then V.P. George Bush.  They didn't arrive at the Silverdome until 90 minutes before game time.  Bill Walsh was so pissed he was quoted on the team bus saying, "I'm listening on the radio, and hear we're up 7-0."      

wow! I didn't know that was highest rated, would of thought cowboys / steelers, of course now its an event, people who don't know football have to watch or  go to frinds house etc..., still remember 1pm eastern start time with a 30 minute pregame for cowboys/ colts lol

Let's go Bengals! 🐯

I have always been an AFL/AFC guy because of the Raiders. When the Raiders aren't in it, with rare exceptions I want the AFC team to win...Miami, Pittsburgh, New England.

I sure as hell never liked the boring old Rams of Chuck Knox's "three runs and a punt" philosophy and I did not care when they came back from St. Louis. Cincinnati is a true long-suffering franchise and fan-base. They deserve to have a Super Bowl win more than Los Angeles.

So I want Cincinnati to win. It's all about Cincinnati's offensive line being able to protect Joe Burrow from the Rams pass rush.

Rams coach Sean McVay also seems to always make crazy decisions and waste challenges and timeouts in big games.

Edited by Strider

2 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Pretty good 1st half from both teams. I suppose these last 2 quarters will determine whether this will be one of the all-time great games...

As usual, the commercials are beyond lame...  😑

Oh come on, Paul!  A few of them were really funny.  Just a few :) 

I did love the Chevy-Sopranos commercial. 

On 2/9/2022 at 2:45 PM, paul carruthers said:

I always thought Dan Dierdorf was great as a commentator. I also miss Dick Enberg calling the games, sometimes...

I think I'll call my shot now: Bengals 27, Rams 23....

That’s funny, I was just about to write about how much I liked Dan Dierdorf and read your post. He was great. Dick was an all time great! And as Custard mentioned, Curt Gowdy was just as classy as they get. Jimmy the Greek could say some pretty funny sh/t! Can you imagine a guy like him and Howard in todays world. We need more of them.