Who plays bass when JPJ plays Keys?

ogre

Yep, I saw many Led Zep tours, and he really played bass pedal, too. He also played the three over-dubbed recorders heard on "Stairway to Heaven". He is the first one I know is a bassist-and-keyboardist!!

Well, The Doors never had a bassist, it was Ray Manzarek playing keyboards and supplying the bass.

I think Ray Manzerak played bass notes with a keyboard by hand, not foot, during concerts. But the Doors had many various session bassists on their albums. The bassist on "LA Woman" played with Elvis, and was asked to become a full-time Doors member - before Jim Morrison died.

• 2 weeks later...

JPJ is definitely a muti talented guy...and very underrated by everyone outside of the world of musicians.

But....what JPJ is doing is not that difficult to learn. Any kid that grew up playing a organ in church will attest to this. JPJ will also be the first to admit that he carries the root note on the bass pedals...does occasional "runs"...but nothing impossible.

Here's some foot pedals in action. ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHrqPxuevU

(and that was just one of the first youtube clips that came up under "organ foot pedals"....don't get me started on Bach. <_<

ok, I could'nt resist...

Edited by Honeydripper

• 3 weeks later...

Well JPJ said whenever they were adding a new instruments to a song, it was just expected by the others that he would play it live.

He also said that's the main reason for his equipment increasing on tours, and that there would often be a lot of technical problems he would have to fix on stage "while some members of the band would be standing there impatiently tapping their microphone stand..." hmmm, I wonder who that was directed at? ;)

JPJ is the unsung hero of Led Zep, and it was only when Plant and Page got together in the mid-90's and did atrocious versions of Kashmir that you could finally hear just how much JPJ was responsible for Led Zep's sound.

Most people, even most fans, just focus on Plant and Page (because they were the most obvious ones) and were completely oblivious to JPJ's contribution.

Songs like Ramble On and Lemon Song just would not have been the same without JPJs bass work. Can you imagine Stairway To Heaven without JPJ on the mellotron, or his incredibly distinctive introduction to Going To California played on the mandolin?

I've noticed on live concert footage that, during Misty Mountain Hop, JPJ is playing keys but I can still hear a bass guitar in the audio. Who plays this? Can't find it in the credits.
The invisible man....lol