Bootleg Album Prices

blackdogg

The music shop I had around as a kid put them in bins labeled "underground".

I have a few, such as ''For Badgeholders Only", that originally cost me about $8.00, new. Except for splitting No Quarter over two sides, it's still the clearest recording of the 6-23-77 show.

Then of course there was stuff like "Plant Waves" that sounded like shit but still got played to death. :lol:

My favorite in terms of overall packaging and pressing quality has to be "Persistence", with the Presence cover parody. Great record.

Hey-Up,

I got a "Russian" boot that has got "Zep IV & HOTH" as a Double Album.

The front cover has a "Man with some Sticks (not like the Original) , by a Shed, with a Pipe in his mouth"

AWFUL.....

All the Best

Hang-man

Seriously, those old vinyl boots are worth a fortune. But I'm not parting with mine.

I didn't know that- here I thought that they were worthless now (to Zeppelin collectors) cause everything is available on cds now.

The first one I ever bought was 1975 World Tour, a horrible recorded 2 LP from the Montreal Forum. It was in a white sleeve w/ an orange paper insert of a terrible picture of the band. Loved the version of "Kashmir" though.

Hey-Up,

Japan 71, got the same one,

All the best,

Hang-man

What's up y'all? This is my very first post! I had LZ live in Japan '71. It was pretty horrible (soundwise) but had a killer, killler clean version of "Friends"! This lp also included a song called "Smoke gets in your eyes".

My very first LZ "import" was called "Bonzo's birthday party" May 31st, 1973 at Inglewood Forum. I believe this is actually LA forum, correct me if i'm wrong. This is the one where Percy sings Happy BD to John Bonham. Also he tells the audience how Jimmy hurt his finger and had to postphone (?) origingal concert.

This album had a live version of the ocean and misty mountain hop, which if course wasn't officially released until Nov.07 (live versions of those songs, that is).

Well depending on the label, some of theose old vinyl boots can fetch a nice price. Especially the rarer ones. As already mentioned there were so many knockoff labels in the mid/late 80's. I stated my venture into Vinyl boot collecting around 78-9. I had a friend who's father owned a small chain of used record stores. (one in Annapolis, one in Bowie, and one in College Park...all in Maryland...called The Record And Tape Exchange) I used to skip school, handout in the Bowie shop, smoke weed and pick tunes to play from the biggest unsealed record collection you could think of. Whenever the bought shitloads of records from people, my friends would have me stock them...and in turn I got to pick a few records to keep. Of course I always went right to the Zep section and pulled one of the many boots they always carried. By 1985, I think I had over 60 titles.....just Zep. I had many colored vinyl boots, picture discs, 78 sized discs that played at 33 1/3. Shaped discs (had one shaped like a blimp.....never seen another like it), boxed sets...etc..... Then my girlfriend went away to college in New Orleans and I was only making like $3.15 an hr back then....so I took all my money, bought a plane ticket to go to NO from New Years till Mardi Gras....had two suitcases, one with clothes, the other w/ Zep boots and for the next two months lived off of selling them a handfull at a time at various record stores around the French Market and Jackson Square. I miss those old boots....but...yes, she was worth it! Wherever she is. <_<

My favorite boot on vinyl was called the awesome foursome in a nice box with nice artwork with four records of different colors the sound was pretty shitty but it looks cool. The first boot that i bought on cd is still my favorite its labeled the knobs live it has really good sound quality but it cuts out half way through kasmir

Well depending on the label, some of theose old vinyl boots can fetch a nice price. Especially the rarer ones. As already mentioned there were so many knockoff labels in the mid/late 80's. I stated my venture into Vinyl boot collecting around 78-9. I had a friend who's father owned a small chain of used record stores. (one in Annapolis, one in Bowie, and one in College Park...all in Maryland...called The Record And Tape Exchange) I used to skip school, handout in the Bowie shop, smoke weed and pick tunes to play from the biggest unsealed record collection you could think of. Whenever the bought shitloads of records from people, my friends would have me stock them...and in turn I got to pick a few records to keep. Of course I always went right to the Zep section and pulled one of the many boots they always carried. By 1985, I think I had over 60 titles.....just Zep. I had many colored vinyl boots, picture discs, 78 sized discs that played at 33 1/3. Shaped discs (had one shaped like a blimp.....never seen another like it), boxed sets...etc..... Then my girlfriend went away to college in New Orleans and I was only making like $3.15 an hr back then....so I took all my money, bought a plane ticket to go to NO from New Years till Mardi Gras....had two suitcases, one with clothes, the other w/ Zep boots and for the next two months lived off of selling them a handfull at a time at various record stores around the French Market and Jackson Square. I miss those old boots....but...yes, she was worth it! Wherever she is. <_<

I am so jealous of individuals such as yourself...I was on top of the word back in the late '70s and very early eighties when i had a few measly zep boots...i and my friends listened to TSRTS soundtrack OVER and OVER and over and over...when i finally got my hands on a few boots (which were kinda' pricey for a 14-15 yr old kid working part time as a bus boy) I was in hog heaven, hearing live versions of "The Ocean", "Misty Mountain Hop", etc. etc....then came the advent of CDs...which really opened up the market to me (a little bit, anyway). I could never understand the zep stance on boots...they are owned and collected by people who obviously LOVE their music and dont mind listening to crappy audio in order to hear their (my) heroes in their natural habitats...LONG LIVE THE NOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every vinyl bootlegs i've seen, so far, were all around 40-50$

and they weren't that good...

Most of mine averaged around $10-15 per # of records. But that was before cd's...and LONG before cdr's.....and many of them were excellent. I can still remember racing home to put on a new one...of course never knowing what to expect (often dates were wrong, songs were out of concert running order, etc..) and having my head explode with the joy of hearing my first true sbd live Zep recording!! And collecting those LP boots was alot more meaningful to me than having a cabinet full of 100's of cdr's. I do miss the old boots. I still have some...a few picture discs and such.

Most of mine averaged around $10-15 per # of records. But that was before cd's...and LONG before cdr's.....and many of them were excellent. I can still remember racing home to put on a new one...of course never knowing what to expect (often dates were wrong, songs were out of concert running order, etc..) and having my head explode with the joy of hearing my first true sbd live Zep recording!! And collecting those LP boots was alot more meaningful to me than having a cabinet full of 100's of cdr's. I do miss the old boots. I still have some...a few picture discs and such.

I can relate to the inaccuracies, misspelled songs, etc. but also. the palpable exitement coming from the crowd, at least on some of the few that i had. I know for a fact, one of my faves,"Bonzo's Birthday Pary" May 31st, 1973 Inglewood Forum.

At the beginning of the show, the usual crowd noises...then you eventually here Jimmy making a few warm up sounds...the crowd gets mega-excited in anticipation for what is about to occur...then you hear the obvious first notes of "Song..." and the crowd goes absolutely nuts! You can hear the bootleggers (I assume, or people in their vicinity) talking and sayin' stuffl like OMFG, and "WOOOOWHOOOOOO!!!" "Un effing real!!!" etc, etc. I used to love listening to this one just to listen to the happiness, the utter joy of these lucky souls....When jimmy does the bow part in "Dazed" you can literally hear a few guys say (and feel) something like "OMG, whoa..." You can tell they were blown away...

This recording came in a plain pea/lime green colored sleeve, no info at all except the title and date. I remember they play "the Ocean" and once again the audience goes bonkers!!! Robt says in his introduction, "This song was writted for you and about you, it's called 'the ocean' . Mayhem follows, the kind associated with pigs wallowing in their favorite substance...everyone was in HOG HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially me, and i only heard it on the vinyl! Peace!

That's not gonna happen. Peter is too busy being dead.

Seriously, those old vinyl boots are worth a fortune. But I'm not parting with mine.

I don't think I have *ever* parted with a LZ bootleg, or any other LZ record, CD, poster, programme or any other LZ item I have bought.

E-bay is nice in that way, that being patient I was glad I could get a few things I only had seen pictures before: like the Knebworth proramme, I bought two, a very nice one which has been sealed in plastic on my bookshelf and another slightly work one for browsing, and a "Tour over Europe '80" bagde. I always liked the ldea of that guard who's looking for a Zeppelin in the sky! They came and dropped their stuff, take that! B)

But although I think I have more than a hundred LZ vinyl boots and a few dozen CD boots (some vinyls are 10 discs, many at least 2-4) I'm not even thinking of parting with any of those. There are too many memories related to all of them. They were almost as mythic as the band itself in the '80's, we couldn't buy anything here where I live. Me or one of my friends had to travel to Stockholm, London or Amsterdam to be able to buy any, and they cost a fortune. And on many (like the copy of Blueberry Hill we bought the first time) the sound was so bad I had to buy an equalizer to be able to listen to it, and get a semispherical needle for the record player, as the elliptical one was scratching the bottom of the groove and sounding even worse...

Some of those were also worn and dirty, so an ultrasonic cleaning bath was necessary, but yes, the experience in the end was worth every penny!

But a lot of the older, rarer stuff seems to be fetching sums I would not be willing to spend now. I'm glad of CD's and FLAC's in that sense that it makes things so mush easier to distribute. A tenth generation C-tape copy of a great recording has already so much hiss and other problems that even a great show becomes hard to listen to.

Cheers!

luckily for me, the better sound quality stuff is, for the most part, either not as rare or/and not as sought after

At the moment, i'm not a big enough fan to stand listening to the majority of the audience recordings. And i have tried loads recently. I know i know, soundboards are seen by many collectors as being "sterile" well, if "sterile" means little or no audience noise and other artifacts, then i prefer "sterile".

That's probably why i also love the studio outtakes and demos =+)

I can relate to the inaccuracies, misspelled songs, etc. but also. the palpable exitement coming from the crowd, at least on some of the few that i had. I know for a fact, one of my faves,"Bonzo's Birthday Pary" May 31st, 1973 Inglewood Forum.

At the beginning of the show, the usual crowd noises...then you eventually here Jimmy making a few warm up sounds...the crowd gets mega-excited in anticipation for what is about to occur...then you hear the obvious first notes of "Song..." and the crowd goes absolutely nuts! You can hear the bootleggers (I assume, or people in their vicinity) talking and sayin' stuffl like OMFG, and "WOOOOWHOOOOOO!!!" "Un effing real!!!" etc, etc. I used to love listening to this one just to listen to the happiness, the utter joy of these lucky souls....When jimmy does the bow part in "Dazed" you can literally hear a few guys say (and feel) something like "OMG, whoa..." You can tell they were blown away...

This recording came in a plain pea/lime green colored sleeve, no info at all except the title and date. I remember they play "the Ocean" and once again the audience goes bonkers!!! Robt says in his introduction, "This song was writted for you and about you, it's called 'the ocean' . Mayhem follows, the kind associated with pigs wallowing in their favorite substance...everyone was in HOG HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially me, and i only heard it on the vinyl! Peace!

[/quote....................... ..................Happy days...Bonzo's Birthday Party in Green sleeve and on two Green vinyl discs (TMQ)...Don't forget also had that radio ad for Californian Prunes.. ha ha .... Got mine the day the place where i bought my boots got all the new boots for that week..... Probably only cost £4.50.

Edited by johnthomasmoby

^ Damn...that's a hard-luck story ! :(

Lost the girl and the vinyl !!! SO SAD !!!!

Rest on your laurels is all I can say. I did a similar thing with ALL my vinyl in '83....I sold it and went to Hawaii !!!!!!! Not because of a girl I already knew.....but it was a paradise just waiting to bud when I got there...and YES....at the time, it was worth it !!!

All of them Wahine's !!! woo-hoo !!!! :D

Bet you kept some back...All your vinyl.....? :o

Could you actually play the blimp shaped disc? and what size is a 78 record? I saw that setting on the turntables but don't know if I've ever seen a 78 rpm.