best bonham drumming?

deco

RAH moby dick i fink.There was one moment when i thougt the disk was broken,cause he(John :) ) was moving so fast ,that it seemed to me it was FAST FORWARD =D.And i dunno why,but there is somthin in Kashmir - Bonzo doesn't do anything supernatural there ,but his style of playin' fits this song so great,that it sounds like masterpiece.

• 4 weeks later...
>The version of TSRTS on "Listen To this Eddie" from 77 has quite jaw-droppingly fast 'n' ferocious drumming. I played it to a drummer once who said that what he was doing sounded physicaly impossible...

>

YUP!! You got that right for sure, I have it too, Bonzo is INSANE on that version of TSRTS. It's actually on one of the 2003 DVD's submenus (audio anyway, video I understand was from a different night). It's so ferociously fast, and in the pocket, it's unbelievable. It shows how badly he pissed on all the other drummers when he wanted to...he earned legend status on this version alone.

Also, Achilles Last Stand, In My Time Of Dying, For Your Life, Carouselambra, triplets on Good Times Bad Times, and countless other tracks, and don't even get me started on the bootlegs! Also, Bonham was beyond amazing on the whole 8/4/79 Knebworth show. For example, on 2003 DVD's Knebworth's "Sick Again" right before Page's solo, Bonzo's doing this snare roll, while alternating cymbals with left and right arms, all while keeping his bass drum thumping on the beat all through the fill. It's on 2003 DVD Sick Again, rewind it a few times, it's insane.

All of this. Especially the Sick Again bit mentioned, its just unreal, like a big octopus but super controlled!

Jon Bonham was an amazing drummer. He had an erotic approach to his playing. Eddy Kramer once said that Jon had a unique sound. He could place two crappy microphones for the over heads and one in the bass drum and still get an amazing sound from Jon.

I don't know if any of you know this (maybe some drummers will know ) in the live version of Moby Dick there is a section that Jon Bonham sort of used from a drum solo that Buddy Rich did on his drums.

I wouldn't have believed it until a friend of mine let me view a 60's video about Buddy Rich. And sure enough Buddy was doing a section of Moby Dick. Jon certainly did his homework as far as learning intricate drumming that is effective. Not to many drummers that can drum like Bonham. And I really don't think there's anyone yet that can do what Buddy Rich can do on the drums. That man was a terminator on the drums. And he had a small drum set-up just like Jon Bonham. : )

The best part of Bonhams drumming was that

1) he didn't fuck around with the rhythmic structure through out the verses- very steady

2) when it came time to play the fills, he was not only creative but varied them depending on the intensity by starting on different beats each turn around or staggered or syncopated his lines to create a push /pull effect

3) his fills were full of queues that even the most retarded person in the world without any sense of timing could come in at the right time

4) he could snap the sticks to create distinct tones depending on the mood of the song

5) he could set the tone of the song by using dynamics to feed off and be fed off by the rest of the band

6) had just an unbelievable presence and talent to know what to hit and when to hit it

7) didn't need 100 drums, cymbals, bells, whistles to make his point. To accomplish what he did with a bass, snare, tom and a couple of floor toms was incredible.

8) actually played the drums as an instrument rather than well,... a drum

Amazing really. There may be drummers who are technically better but, when Bonhan hit the skins, there was no mistaking it was him

Do you guys know what he's doing during "Candy Store Rock," during that funky part when Plant is singing, "Ooooo, baby it's alright, it's alright" ??? What's that chicka- chicka sound in that section? God, I love that part of the song. It just grooves. Nobody in rock will ever match Bonham and Jones, and the way they laid that shit down.

Bonham, like Rich and Krupa, didn't need an army of drums... you can do many different sounds with just one freaking drum and two sticks... or four.

I learn something long ago that few drummers do...

Learning drummers learn from their masters... a few learn their masters...

Bonham learn Rich in so many ways that he had practically the same setup kit that Rich had. I've heard a lot of people saying "I want to be like him"... and that's an error...

People had to think "I want to learn him", or "I want to know and do what he's doing".

Moby Dick was always a headache for all their followers. Mody Dick is very simple, but the way Bonham did it always showed like unique and unmatched. That's the secret. That's what people has to know... how and why he did it. He did it very simple... but their followers always scratched their heads figuring out how he did it.

There are a lot of COPYCATS... and very few learners.

If you like someone like Bonham... don't just stare looking at moby dick... look and study his influences, and take for example "Keep A Knockin" and you have "Rock And Roll". Study him, not how and why he did that. You will learn more from the roots than from the leaves.

Be wise, my little grasshopers (Gong sound)

Do you guys know what he's doing during "Candy Store Rock," during that funky part when Plant is singing, "Ooooo, baby it's alright, it's alright" ??? What's that chicka- chicka sound in that section? God, I love that part of the song. It just grooves. Nobody in rock will ever match Bonham and Jones, and the way they laid that shit down.

Not sure what you mean? I know what part of the song you mean but cant think of a sound thats not in the rest of the song

Which is AWESOME by the way. And fooking solid to play on the kit, the ride pattern through the Oh Baby Baby bit is crazy

Here are three live Bonham drumming that kills me.

1. In my Time of Dying on the DVD how the West was won. What I love is there are certain sections that lead you to believe Zepp is about to make a major mistake. These spots are the stops. But Bonham keeps it together as if he and Jimmy Page have ESP .

2. The last section of Dazed and Confused in the Movie the Song Remains the Same.

This is the section were John Paul Jones and Jon Bonham are smiling at each other. Their playing some off time beat with Bonham playing a jungle beat. (You can tell he's really digging it by the way he's smiling). During all of this Jimmy is playing a devilish lead that is complementing both Bonham and Jones.

3. Achilles last Stand on the DVD How the West was Won. Overall it's all good. But my favorite part is when the whole band stops and Bonham has a very short drum solo. On the studio version he doesn't do this. But on the DVD he places it in that really kicks the band right back in.

One last thing I forgot from my previous post.

3 words.

Bass Pedal Triplets.

I think the double bass drum pedals were invented for those to get the same effect that Bonham got with a just a single.

By the way. Anyone ever see the photo of Bonham early in the '70's with a set of Ludwigs with the big double bass drums.

Maybe this will work;

1969-06_01.jpg

my god, never seen any live photos with him using a double bass drum only in the communiction breakdown video,

anyone know mif theres any bootlegs wit him using two bass drums?

There is, although I haven't heard the show myself I have read that Jimmy's guitar drowns out almost everyone else on the recording and as a result you cant really hear the drums. A crying Shame really.

Bonham only stole from the best. The barehanded playing section of his solo was inspired by Joe Morello's solos. Oh and check out this clip of carmine appice from vanilla fudge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI6OhYZ9bi0

Bonzo copped a lot of stuff from carmine and made it his own.

Right on the money with saying bonham's playing was erotic. Levon helm was the same way. Those guys could make you feel emotional just from their drumming alone, even if there wasn't anyone else playing with them.

On the first couple zep albums you hear kieth moon, watts and a little bit of mitch mitchell. From about the third album on he's distilled his influences and seems to be changing according to the changing sound of the band. Of course, I'm just spekalatin' on a hypotheosis, if ya will.

--LG

Jon Bonham was an amazing drummer. He had an erotic approach to his playing. Eddy Kramer once said that Jon had a unique sound. He could place two crappy microphones for the over heads and one in the bass drum and still get an amazing sound from Jon.

I don't know if any of you know this (maybe some drummers will know ) in the live version of Moby Dick there is a section that Jon Bonham sort of used from a drum solo that Buddy Rich did on his drums.

I wouldn't have believed it until a friend of mine let me view a 60's video about Buddy Rich. And sure enough Buddy was doing a section of Moby Dick. Jon certainly did his homework as far as learning intricate drumming that is effective. Not to many drummers that can drum like Bonham. And I really don't think there's anyone yet that can do what Buddy Rich can do on the drums. That man was a terminator on the drums. And he had a small drum set-up just like Jon Bonham. : )

Someone mentioned it above and I second that Trent Garden from 1973 (Live at Stoke) or whatever its called (don't have my collection handy) is incredible for the sound mix alone. Jimmy must have been way loud that night and not needed much through the board so its the closest you have to Bonzo isolated in the mix as you'll find in any boot. It's the concert version of the ITTOD Bonham clips.

If you wanna hear Bonham live - GET IT!

Thanks for the tips. The most recent jawdropper was the earliest Carouselambra rehearsals, he sounds like a... i don't know, a thunder. Something. Machine!

You got it! "A thunder of drums" :)

I'm not a drummer, but because of Bonzo I've been very curious about what he did and how.

The book that has the same title gave a lot of wonderful ideas about the man and his passions.

After reading it I have been looking at various drummers and their kit and trying to listen to how they hit the drums, how their drums are tuned (if at all) and the bottom line is that he had a personal touch that created the sound. It's pretty easy to recognize Mr. Bonham on any recording he did.

Like some others in here have mentioned, the ITTOD outtakes are very warmly recommended to anyone interested in hearing what he did in the studio. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I am surprised noone mentioned Bonzo's Montreux. It's the highlight of Coda, though I really dig We're Gonna Groove every time I hear it. I know nothing about drumming, but to me that track portrayed not only his power as a drummer, but also demonstrates the potential of the drums to be a very tight, melodic instrument in the hands of a master. I can almost hum it. I am assuming Jimmy is the one responsible for it's existence in the public record, and I've always felt he chose it for the album because of it's isolated brilliance and as a testament to the talent of his friend.

I am surprised noone mentioned Bonzo's Montreux. It's the highlight of Coda, though I really dig We're Gonna Groove every time I hear it. I know nothing about drumming, but to me that track portrayed not only his power as a drummer, but also demonstrates the potential of the drums to be a very tight, melodic instrument in the hands of a master. I can almost hum it. I am assuming Jimmy is the one responsible for it's existence in the public record, and I've always felt he chose it for the album because of it's isolated brilliance and as a testament to the talent of his friend.

Well yes, but I think this is the "Live" forum. :unsure:

As mentioned here, TSRTS 77/6/21 "Listen to This Eddie" pretty much sets the pace...it's no wonder that many considered him "the pistons of the machine". I can't help getting excited every time I hear that start of a wonderful gig. Also all live versions of HMMT and 1972 D&C and especially the March 1973 D&C and Seattle and West Coast 1975 D&C show Bonham at his most creative peak. IMO.

Cheers!

For example, on 2003 DVD's Knebworth's "Sick Again" right before Page's solo, Bonzo's doing this snare roll, while alternating cymbals with left and right arms, all while keeping his bass drum thumping on the beat all through the fill. It's on 2003 DVD Sick Again, rewind it a few times, it's insane.

YES YES AND YES!!!

If you listen to this at volume, its seems impossible hwat hes doin, my mate whos a drummer just laughs at the possibility of himself doin it, as theres alsorts going off at once, like the hindu god ginesh has been given some sticks. Theres snare, toms, cymbals alsorts, just fookin crazy!

by the way i havent heard these audio recordings tht have been mentioned of bonzo jamming etc, wouldnt mind hearing em, ive heard the drum tracks to sick again and wearing and tearng that have done the rounds,, wudnt mind a listen to these others

Sick Again from the Badgholders Only 6/23/77 show. This blows away any other performance of this song I've ever heard, and Bonham's drumming is fucking frightening, especially the intro section.

WOW!!!!

Perhaps my favorite live Zeppelin moment.

Sick Again from the Badgholders Only 6/23/77 show. This blows away any other performance of this song I've ever heard, and Bonham's drumming is fucking frightening, especially the intro section.

WOW!!!!

Perhaps my favorite live Zeppelin moment.

Where can I hear this?

i think you may be hearing Jimmys acoustic, Bonzo is playing another complex beat but aswell as the electric guitar and bass, theres an acoustic in the mix doing alot of strumming and then deadened strumming. kind of like "chicka chicka chicka chicka chicka" it works really really well, and you can only hear it mainly at that least section of the song

Archived