1977.06.10 and 1977.06.14 New York - new 8mm films (The Dogs of Doom Liberation Series Vol. 23)

ledzepfilm

Today, we are proud to unveil two new 8mm films from Led Zeppelin’s legendary run at Madison Square Garden in 1977.

This reel was found last month for a hefty price and thanks to a few kind folks, we were able to get it into our hands. It has two dates on it – 6/10/1977 and 6/14/1977, plus some offstage footage (i.e. aerial shots around New York).

Here I present to you synced versions of the concert footage for both dates. Unfortunately, since 6/14/1977’s audio cuts off during Over the Top, audio from 6/13/1977 was used for that sync (hence why Bonzo doesn’t match most of the time).

A big special thanks to the original filmer (whoever you are), Charley C. for sourcing and purchasing this reel, all who have contributed to its fund, and to Adam from GenesisMuseum for the excellent digital scan and mold reduction.

Edited by ledzepfilm

Thanks, yet again, for all the stuff you've dug up and shared with the community. And a couple of things struck me after seeing these films. One is just how animated Jimmy was on stage. The other was just how fucking great it must have been to see them live in '77. I know we all compare shows from the '70's and often think that musically they were at their best earlier in the decade, but looking at these clips illustrates just how captivating the band was on stage in '77 and how exciting it must have been to be there in the arena to witness them performing in person.  

Edited by SteveZ98

1 hour ago, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks, yet again, for all the stuff you've dug up and shared with the community. And a couple of things struck me after seeing these films. One is just how animated Jimmy was on stage. The other was just how fucking great it must have been to see them live in '77. I know we all compare shows from the '70's and often think that musically they were at their best earlier in the decade, but looking at these clips illustrates just how captivating the band was on stage in '77 and how exciting it must have been to be there in the arena to witness them performing in person.  

The end of Over The Hills sums up your thoughts exactly…as does the entire 6/14 film

96FA7CF4-4372-44FC-BC6C-F1646CB7B139.png

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Another observation based on these clips. I mentioned earlier how animated Jimmy was during these shows. I think the typical thought is that he was not in prime shape during the '77 tour because of his offstage indulgences. However, Achilles Last Stand from 6/14/77 is more than two hours into the concert and he's still moving around like the show just began. He's not slouching or standing in one place or any of the typical signs of exhaustion I'd expect from someone who is supposed to be in less than ideal shape. That was also the last in a string of shows in the same venue, so any initial boost he got from the excitement of playing in NYC would likely have worn off by then. None of this is to say he might not have been augmenting his energy levels between songs, but I don't recall any reports of him running off stage between songs to do lines, and repeatedly using that kind of temporary boost each show seemingly would have caught up with him by the final show in NYC, which was two and a half months into the tour.  

22 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Another observation based on these clips. I mentioned earlier how animated Jimmy was during these shows. I think the typical thought is that he was not in prime shape during the '77 tour because of his offstage indulgences. However, Achilles Last Stand from 6/14/77 is more than two hours into the concert and he's still moving around like the show just began. He's not slouching or standing in one place or any of the typical signs of exhaustion I'd expect from someone who is supposed to be in less than ideal shape. That was also the last in a string of shows in the same venue, so any initial boost he got from the excitement of playing in NYC would likely have worn off by then. None of this is to say he might not have been augmenting his energy levels between songs, but I don't recall any reports of him running off stage between songs to do lines, and repeatedly using that kind of temporary boost each show seemingly would have caught up with him by the final show in NYC, which was two and a half months into the tour.  

I think a lot of people only see the Seattle proshot where Page isn’t animated at all and assume he was like that the whole tour. But 8mm like these, LA, and others from the May and April shows reveal Page was very energetic in these shows, moving around the stage a lot. I think the third leg really gave 77 a bad reputation because most people only see Seattle, a mediocre show, and hear about Plant’s son and assume the whole tour was a disaster when it isn’t true.

8 hours ago, EthanG said:

I think a lot of people only see the Seattle proshot where Page isn’t animated at all and assume he was like that the whole tour. But 8mm like these, LA, and others from the May and April shows reveal Page was very energetic in these shows, moving around the stage a lot. I think the third leg really gave 77 a bad reputation because most people only see Seattle, a mediocre show, and hear about Plant’s son and assume the whole tour was a disaster when it isn’t true.

That's a good point about the Seattle video. It's too bad it's the only one a lot of people know about from that tour. 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Not as animated as the audience? 

These clips made me fall in love with '77n all over again, thanks boys!

It's a crying shame that the band or management didn't have the foresight to film/professionally record any shows from '77. What a spectacle they were!

There's a topic on RO (whenever I post links to that site, the mods delete the post, so you'll have to manually search) called "Angie Bowie on Led Zeppelin - book excerpt" that relates a story about Page's massive cocaine use, so that could be one reason he was so animated onstage in '77.

5 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

There's a topic on RO (whenever I post links to that site, the mods delete the post, so you'll have to manually search) called "Angie Bowie on Led Zeppelin - book excerpt" that relates a story about Page's massive cocaine use, so that could be one reason he was so animated onstage in '77.

Page is damn lucky he and Keef made it out of the early 80's alive with their respective lifestyles. It still amazes me the constitution both Page and Richards have. To do as much drugs as they did, for Page to lose so much weight he could pass for Karen Carpenters shadow and still be using heavily is simply astounding. When I see these 77' shows and see Page running about, jumping with the double-neck while in the condition he was in, just blows me away.

I am surprised scientists have not studied blood samples from Page & Richards to determine if they may be aliens, or carry some super-gene which allows them to treat their bodies like amusement parks from hell, yet are healthy as a pair of 5-year-old Clydesdales. 

I just finished listening to 6-13-77 and what a show, except for a few minor flubs in ALS the rest of the show is fantastic.

3 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Page is damn lucky he and Keef made it out of the early 80's alive with their respective lifestyles. It still amazes me the constitution both Page and Richards have. To do as much drugs as they did, for Page to lose so much weight he could pass for Karen Carpenters shadow and still be using heavily is simply astounding. When I see these 77' shows and see Page running about, jumping with the double-neck while in the condition he was in, just blows me away.

I am surprised scientists have not studied blood samples from Page & Richards to determine if they may be aliens, or carry some super-gene which allows them to treat their bodies like amusement parks from hell, yet are healthy as a pair of 5-year-old Clydesdales. 

I just finished listening to 6-13-77 and what a show, except for a few minor flubs in ALS the rest of the show is fantastic.

Page actually looks very good right now, he's aged better than Plant.  Pretty amazing.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Page actually looks very good right now, he's aged better than Plant.  Pretty amazing.

That's quite astounding how well Page has aged considering what his lifestyle was during the 70's and a good chunk of the 80's. Too bad he gave up on making new music and performing for the most part 20 years ago. He could have given us so much more, but I'll take what he gave us and very thankful for that!

5 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

No doubt. I think Plants relationships and loss aged him quite a bit. Just look at how much he visually aged from the 77' tour & Knebworth. That was pretty drastic IMO. Then starting around 88' you can see him looking a bit haggard here and there. But Page, starting around 2002 he started looking really healthy and young-ish. I believe that's when he stopped perming his hair and let it go white. This is when he finally stopped drinking alcohol all together and he lost the chubbiness he had. Jimmy & JPJ both look good for their ages, old Robert does not look bad per se, but he sure looks like he has quite a few miles under the hood.