old man with sticks

feather in the wind

Nirvana, I believe I understand what you meant in the PM. If so, it is this:

Linear Vs. Holistic Processing

The left side of the brain processes information in a linear manner. It processes from part to whole. It takes pieces, lines them up, and arranges them in a logical order; then it draws conclusions. The right brain however, processes from whole to parts, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details. If you are right-brained, you may have difficulty following a lecture unless you are given the big picture first.

I gotta hand it to ya Steve - you are f'n good! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to find my meaning...should have known you were better than a cheap date!

This card is also about knowing your own limits. These limits vary from person to person. Some people thrive on multiple responsibilities. Others wilt under very few.

Some schools of thought associate the Ten Of Wands with a time of harvest. A point in time where we are reaping the benefits of the seeds we have nurtured, but are also burdened by the fruits of our labors. It implies the notion, at least in my mind , of sacrifice and responsibility, and the ending of one cycle ushering in the begining of the new.

Paraphrasing, Jimmy said the theme had to do with man living in harmony etc. as someone else posted above already. Then in modern times man is pushed into the slums.

The highrise buildings on the back cover were actually located on the outskirts of the

town of Dudley, not too far from Robert Plant's home in the Midlands. They were torn down within the past five years or so.

I believe the man depicted in the painting on the front cover is a famous English occult figure, the name of whom escapes me at the moment, but it isn't Crowley. That whole

"he found it in a junk shop in Reading" story sounds ridiculous. I actually think Jimmy Page produced it as well as the inner album artwork attributed to 'Barrington Colby'. No other example of "Colby's" work has ever been found.

Thought you might be interested in this, Steve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59781260@N00/1461452890/

• 2 weeks later...

From the book "Led Zeppelin, heaven and hell"

page 120/122

The old man on the cover was chosen, or made up, to bear a remarkable resemblance to one George Pickingill. Also in the background of the photo there is a blue haze that some argue is significant.

Who was George Pickingill? He was one of the most famous occult masters in England in the early 1890s. Pickingill came from Canewdon County in the Essex area of england and ruled the district like a feudal lord. He was nicknamed "Old George" and the oldest villager at the time of Pickingill's death said that Pickingill had always looked the same. He carried a carved walking stick with him and villagers believed that he could curse someone with just a touch of the stick. He was revered by students of the occult who came from all over Europe to learn witchcraft from him.

One of these students was Allan Bennett, who later tought his knowledge to aleister Crowley. some students even suggest that crowley met Pickingill back in the 1880s. Pickingill died in 1909 when according to local legend, his home was struck by lightning.

The photograph was shot at a photo session in early 1972, so it was clearly not an actual photo of Pickingill (in a 1971 intervieuw, though Page claimed the photo was one that he and Plant had found intact in a junk shop in Reading)

Only a couple of photographs of Pickingill are known to exist and whether jimmy Page planned the cover, or it was just coincidence, is a matter of debate but the man on the cover and Pickingill look identical.

The man is not Crowley, just google for images of Crowley and see for yourself,

also google for images of George Pickingill (or Pickingale)

(ps....there is no such thing as "Thelema House".....Crowley had an Abbey of Thelema in Sicily, the house he and later Page lived in is Boleskine House in Scotland, and it is a hotel at the moment, it was never torn down)

Do what thou wilt!

(ps....there is no such thing as "Thelema House".....Crowley had an Abbey of Thelema in Sicily, the house he and later Page lived in is Boleskine House in Scotland, and it is a hotel at the moment, it was never torn down)

Jimmy was at Abbey of Thelema the day of Robert Plant's car crash in Rhodes. Fact.

• 6 months later...

I remember reading about a fan (foreigner on LZ pilgimage across England) who went to see the house where Robert Plant lives. To her surprise RP was at home, he politely invited her inside for a cup of tee. She said the painting was there, hanging on the wall.

I can't find the article anymore, it's been well over 10 years now, it was a kind of diary on the internet.

If the painting does represent George Pickingill, why would RP have it on his wall? Not his cup of tea, so to say. Does anyone know where the painting is now? Or better yet; has anyone here actually seen it?

NOW I do, having exchanged some PMs. You think I'm mocking you here. I'm not.

Your on the right path concerning the album cover art; it isn't Crowley. You've

come this far, just reach a little higher, your almost there.

I agree that it definatly isn't Alistar. and I used to know that ol'mans name but it just escapes me.

But this guy was an early member of the Golden Dawn which the OTO had its roots in. Oh and don't think that he is Gardner either though the creepy factor is there.

interesting ly enough the "sticks" in tarot that some have posted about are Wands, and there are more than just one card that depicts them.

The Hermit the ninth card of the major arcana, is a card that high magicians frequently meditate upon. Meditaton of the Tarot cards being a method of enlightenment in the practice of the Mystical Quabala.

but that is another post

Merry Meet )0( :coffee:

This is a fascinating topic.I believe that the band did most things with great thought and foresight and mystery. 37 years later and we are still taking educated guesses! Unless JP sits down and writes a tell all Zeppelin book I fear we will be forever in the dark and guessing. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For many years, I was led to believe that the man in question was Henry "Brusher" Mills - 1840-1905, who lived near Lyndhurst in the New Forest, Hampshire, UK. He was also known as Sapengro (gypsie word) or: Snake Catcher.

However, all the images of him, although bearing some resemblence to the man in the picture on the LP cover, doesn't convince me it is one and the same man.

RB

• 3 weeks later...
Goodness Gracious, another secret is about to be revealed...

The old man on the album cover is supposed to resemble an English occultist called George Pickingdale. I think he lived in the late 19th century. Not much is known about him though. If anyone has the vinyl of the 4th album,open the gatefold and hold it beside a reasonably big mirror so that you see the mirror image right beside it. Now look at the artwork roughly half-way down the mountain! What do you see???

for some reason i'v always thought that four sticks and the album cover were related

album number four and a guy carrying sticks

Four Sticks

I don't know ............

Bonham held 2 drumsticks in each hand playing on the song "Four Sticks".

for some reason i'v always thought that four sticks and the album cover were related

album number four and a guy carrying sticks

Four Sticks

I don't know ............

Bonham held 2 drumsticks in each hand playing on the song "Four Sticks".

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Notice a large stick among the birch the old man is carrying?  To me, this is a broomstick, (The Craft) overburdening society.  Which it absolutely is!  Doubt me?  Have you reached your potential?  No, nor I!  Freemasonry/Lucifer/The Craft/Witchcraft are holding us back and seriously overburdening us all.

3 hours ago, Kevin Chamberlain said:

Notice a large stick among the birch the old man is carrying?  To me, this is a broomstick, (The Craft) overburdening society.  Which it absolutely is!  Doubt me?  Have you reached your potential?  No, nor I!  Freemasonry/Lucifer/The Craft/Witchcraft are holding us back and seriously overburdening us all.

Ffs, It's just a guy with a bunch of sticks.......broomstick my arse...

23 minutes ago, JTM said:

Ffs, It's just a guy with a bunch of sticks.......broomstick my arse...

Wow, it seems someone cloned another Gregor, hahahaaaaaaa.

Wonder if these are dinosaur boomsticks with hidden meanings.

37 minutes ago, reswati said:

Wow, it seems someone cloned another Gregor, hahahaaaaaaa.

Wonder if these are dinosaur boomsticks with hidden meanings.

Oh, I see that you finally specify your gender.  Until now I did not know with whom I speak. So you live here, that is, with the result that it does not there?

Archived